Have just been told that I have Osteopenia

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have just been told that I have Osteopenia, my doctor has started me on a high dose of vitamin D and vitamin C. She has also said that I may need to start taking Alendronic Acid if the next DEXA scan shows no improvement. I am not sure that I really understand all of this and what it means. I am 43 years old and possibly going through early menopause which apparently doesn't help. Can anyone explain what I can expect?

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's all relative.  About six weeks ago I was told that I had osteoporosis.  At that time I was not given my T-Score, but was finally able to find out yesterday.  When I learned that I "only" have osteopenia, I was ecstatic!  In the meantime I have done a lot of things to help myself, as all the strategies are relevant for both osteopenia and osteoporosis.  I've a lot of hope as two of my friends were able to move themselves form osteoporosis level to osteopenia.  One has since slacked off and become osteoporotic agian, while the other continues to improve her bone density.  I've been pursuing the all-natural route as I find the possible side effects of every OP treatment to be scarier than having spongy bones!  I am doing a lot of relevant and careful exercising as well as continuing to find new ways to improve my diet and learning ever more about the relevant supplements.  It's more complex than this, but the basic supplements include Calcium of course, plus Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2.  We also need to make sure we are getting enough Vitamin A in its retinol (not beta carotene) form, and Vitamin E, Mangnesium, Boron and so forth.  Foodwise the body more readily absorbs calcium from green vegetables than from dairy products, although some hard cheeses contain K2.  In fact the countries with the highest rate of osteoporosis are the ones with the highest consumption of dairy products!  All the best.  And if you have any concerns or insights to share you know there is always someone on the forum!
    • Posted

Magnesium, of course.  Wish we could edit our posts. rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.