Skip to content

Osteoporosis and Osteopenia

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Nancynamaste 2

Anyone experience good results with Fosteum Plus?

I have had osteopenia since 2009 and now I have osteoporosis in hip. Dr. suggested Fosteum Plus since I don't want to take other drugs. A couple of years ago I took Citracal Plus with Bone Density (genistein) and my bone density actually improved slightly (I also was exercising very regularly and followed...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • kathleen65757 6

Challenge: put up one health tip for bones backed with evidence

My bones health tip is YOGHURT backed by a large study in Ireland that discovered that yoghurts that are high in probiotic organisms and low in sugar are beneficial to bone health. Another study from Sweden reported that fermented dairy was associated with a lower risk risk of fracture.  A US study found...

11 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • alison28608 4

Vegetarian diet and LBM/OP

looking over a few posts it has drawn my attention to how many people here are vegetarian. Me included. I wonder if  it has contributed to our condition. Elizabeth asked me about my fish consumption and it is zero but otherwise I do eat all the good stuff and always have done. My husband has been veggie...

15 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • shirley 1955193 1

I think my ribs have fallen

in September I had a total break of my lumbar all of them broke. One in June just thought I had a sore back I'm getting old (61) another in August. I ignored this my daughter was getting married. September the rest went and I was in the hospital for a month.  I have a walker to help around the house...

14 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • diana57263 2

Isoflavones!

I'm starting shortly a course of Isoflavones which act as phytoestrogens in mammals to see if after a period of time my bone density improves.  I wonder if any of you here have taken Isoflavones and if so, what was your experience?

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • celaine 30095 2

Forteo experiences?

Hey friends – I have osteoporosis and I am experiencing some spinal problems, heading for a spinal fusion and laminectomy surgery June 26. Took Fosamax for years without much success, or increase in BMD. Have had many hip replacement surgeries followed by slow bone growth and difficulty healing. ...

6 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • diana57263 2

Red Clover!

Anyone here taking Red Clover for phytoestrogens - have you had beneficial results taking this supplement?

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • julia85224 3

Dexa Scan Results

Hi, I was recommended to this forum, by my fellow Polomyalga Rheumatica people. I had a dexa scan in May and received the results today. I hate to admit I really don't understand them, apart from it shows osteoporosis at both sides ( femur neck -2.7 and L1-L4 -3.9). The rheumy has suggested IV bisphosonate....

9 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • ann56666 2

AA

ive been on Alendronic acid for a few months and have  been getting sick a few hours after taking it. How common is this? Will it affect the efficacy ?

17 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Soozib 2

Depo Provera can weaken bones

I've been puzzling why I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I know it happens when you get older. I am 70 but have never smoked, not a big drinker, always played sports and was a weightlifter. I don't need calcium of vit D supplements. I spend so much time out in the fesh air and sun. Then I read...

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Anhaga 6

Apologies

Just want it on record here that I apologise to anyone I may have upset.  I do have strong feelings about the osteoporosis drugs, but I also understand and acknowledge that many people do need extra help to reverse their osteoporosis.  It is unfortunate that the doctors do not also give us advice, as...

10 replies 3 votes Last reply
  • FullyPresent 1
  • stephie01 2
  • michele 48562 2

Some forums leave me feeling worried

I am on an National osteoporosis forum and reading it lately has left me very nervous. My t scores, -4.6lumbar are bad but, as some on here know, I am trying to not use meds. I had been feeling quite positive with This forum but have read how others with much better scores have fractured just from walking...

25 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • angela 67056 2

Was diagnosed with osteoporosis 2 years ago

Had my second dexa 2 weeks ago and my results show I have managed to reverse my osteoporosis without pharmaceutical drugs My doctors were more surprised than I by the results. It is achievable with a little research and discipline .

77 replies 4 votes Last reply
  • michele 48562 2

Vibration plate machine

I had my first appointment at the osteoporosis clinic since my diagnosis. I said I wasn't going to take aa. She was very understanding of my reasons and said they would read an in 18 months to see how I'm getting on with k2 magnesium vit d calcium and prunes. She mentioned that 1 patient had great...

36 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • alison28608 4

Why do I have ostepoerosis/ low bone mass ?

When I was diagnosed, I was devistated. Even after fracturing my first vertebrae, at 47, I stupidly told my GP i did not need a dexa scan as I had none of the risk factors. Many people here, have been on meds for other conditions and these meds have, in turn, made their bones thinner. Very interested...

24 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Anhaga 6

Reversing bone thinning without medication

Several people have posted recently that they have been able to reverse their measured (DXA scan) bone thinning through natural means - nutrition, appropriate supplements and exercise.  It would be terrific if these people could post here some basic information - their t-scores before and after, and...

8 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • joanna18220 1

9 year old with osteoporosis

My daughter had a bone density scan 18 months ago after repeated fractures . It showed she had osteopenia . She was born with hypotonia and our doctor believes this is the cause as she needed physio to get her to walk etc . We had a repeated scan yesterday in preparation for our doc appointment this...

3 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Anhaga 6

Improved bone density

I got my DXA results today and there was an improvement in my t-scores this year over last year.  Now they aren't recommending drugs therapy any more, and I shouldn't need another scan for three to five years.  My doctor was impressed and asked me how I did it.  I said Vitamin K2 and exercise!  I think...

40 replies 3 votes Last reply
  • Mary D 23339 3

Vibration Therapy & Osteoporosis

I have recently been reading up on the "wonders" of the Power Plate. This is what I have researched so far. ." Vibration training can increase muscle strength 20 to 30 percent more than conventional strength training, while dramatically cutting training time. There are also a number of exercises that...

11 replies 3 votes Last reply
  • eric82661 2

DEXA scan and t score, when is low way too low ?

I´m new to this forum. Male, 47 years old. No ´complaints´ related to osteoporosis, although I do have lots of health problems. Recently I had a DEXA scan to test my body composition. This specific scan setup was not designed to test for osteoporosis, but I got a T score of  -3.0 and was advised to...

12 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • jane86878 2
  • naomi95418 2
  • Prohow 2

Headaches adding drug

When I add the Tramadol with Tylenol it generates major headaches . What do I do? I already take 5mg oxycodone 2x a day . The Tramadol is taken 3x a day  

7 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • diana57263 2

Osteoporosis [DEXA] result!

hello - this is the first time I've  posted on this forum since my recent DEXA result that reveals I have osteoporosis.   On looking through the medication options, there seems to  none that are safe in relation to their side effects namely, Bisphosphonates which I'm not inclined to take as I've already...

18 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • jane86878 2

Alendronic Acid side effects

I have been on alendronic acid (aa) for about 10 weeks now and started to feel ill but only on and off. Also my ears have started to have waves of pain. I visited my GP today (the one who prescriped aa) and she didnt seem to think that either of these problems were due to aa. However, when she looked...

2 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • jane52658 2

Osteoporosis and hrt treatment ??

I am 57 and diagnosed with osteoporosis in Dec 2016- 2 fractures in last 3 yrs. I had early menopause at 44 and did not take hrt . I would like to avoid AA but taking supplements Vit d, mag and calc . I am keen to have hrt now for a few years and just wondering if anyone is doing this ? Would love to...

7 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • vickie47755 2

Osteoporosis diagnosis What to do?

Ive just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Im not sure the exact numbers but my gp wants me to start with a biphosphonate drug. A little background...Im 56 and have had 2 fall in 2 years. First one, fell on ice and fractured vertebrae at T12 and broke both wrists. Last one, last fall my ankle went off...

35 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Anhaga 6

Vitamin K2

There's been some discussion about Vitamin K2 dosages.  I found this article.  About halfway down it talks specifically about osteoporosis and Vitamin K2.  Unfortunately much of the rest of the article doesn't always distinguish the various forms of K, although it does point out that a synthetic form,...

13 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Anhaga 6

Treating osteopenia and osteoporosis

The more reading I have done lately the more concerned I am that people are starting their treatment for bone thinning with very dangerous medications rather than first trying the natural methods.  I'd like to hear from people who have tried natural methods to improve their bone health and whether they...

196 replies 5 votes Last reply
  • Freedom 77 3

Correct dosage for supplements??

Hi, I'm a New member ... Just wanted to ask about which vitamin supplements I should take (I've been diagnosed with Osteoporosis, been taking Adcal and AA for nearly 2 yrs BUT want to stop AA and use supplements instead)... What should I take and what strenghts of the following:- Calcium Vitamin...

24 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • michele 48562 2

Scared osteoporosis diagnosis

Lumbar -4.5, hips and femur-2.7 Just found out yesterday after a scan. Gp just read result and handed me a prescription for alendronic acid and told me to take with water but not about side effects. I haven't taken it because I have read about terrible side effects and am scared stiff! Is this manageable...

15 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • jane86878 2

T Score and how bad is it

I am just 60 years old and my T score (just diagnosed) is Lumbar Spine -1.9  Total Hip -2.4 and my Femoral Neck is -2.8 Are these scores very bad for my age and is there any way i can reduce them and build some bone back up.

11 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Gary3000 2

Why Osteoporosis ?

I'm 46 and have had osteoporosis for 15 years t score -5 in the spine and -2.5 in the hip, the condition drives me crazy as I feel like I'm waiting for a fracture to happen everyday! I had my second IV of Zod Acid last month, since the last infusion I have started sertraline for anxciaty. No Doctor...

37 replies 1 vote Last reply
Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.