Skip to content
Ad

Osteoporosis and Osteopenia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Is Alendronic acid addictive?

I'm on my 8th week of taking AA now and I'm starting to wonder if it's addictive. I take it on a Saturday morning but towards the end of the week I start feeling aggressive for no particular reason especially when I'm tired and from Wednesday to Friday. After the Saturday morning pill...

Last reply
  • the new look forum

If any of you are having difficulties with the dazzling brightness of the new look of this forum, or any other issues regarding usability, there is a thread started by Patient for feedback: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/patient-s-new-look-feedback-604108?page=0#2792952

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed with Osteopenia

I've just been diagnosed with Osteopenia after I fell and broke a hip 3 months ago, I asked my doctor if we could check my bone density and got the results a couple of days ago.   I've been put on Calceos Calcium and Vit D3 supplement which I have no problem with.   However, I've...

Last reply
  • What Do These Results Mean

After four weeks of waiting I just got my results.   I have been told by the lady doing the Dexa  Scan that my results weren't good.   However having done some research I don't believe they are that bad. I really have no idea so here is my results and here is the treatment...

Last reply
  • Any views on soluble tablet for Alendronic Acid?

Hello Does anyone know whether the effervescent 70mg Binosto soluble tablet for Alendronic Acid 70mg has any additional side effects over and above taking the 70mg pill? Obviously you would be swallowing the acid without the protection of any pill coating. Thanks for any replies.

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis/alendronic acid

I was put on alendronic acid for osteoporosis but it had horrendous side effects so stopped taking it and talking to GP tomorrow but hoping I can achieve some protection from high dose Vit D3 and some calcium.  Has anyone else on here had a problem with alendronic acid and found a good SAFE...

Last reply
  • I think my ribs have fallen

in September I had a total break of my lumbar all of them broke. One in June just thought I had a sore back I'm getting old (61) another in August. I ignored this my daughter was getting married. September the rest went and I was in the hospital for a month.  I have a walker to help around the...

Last reply
  • Broken hip surgery

Hi I am 56yrs old and are 4weeks post surgery for broken hip ( nails and screws) also had p.e. and now on apixaben 5mg twice daily. My dr wants me to start Prolia injections straight away but I am worried about side effects and whether it would hinder bone healing. As I am feeling truly lousy atm dont...

Last reply
  • Exercise

I have -4.6lumbar and have been walking with ankle and wrist weights. I have always been fairly light weight and thought the weights might be equivalent to carrying a few extra pounds. Another forum had said I shouldn't do it as it will affect my knees. I am at a loss as what to do. Gp and nhs...

Last reply
  • Boron!

hello everyone - been  reading how boron prevents the urinary excretion of calcium that can assist with retaining bone density so today I've started to include this mineral in my diet.  I'm not sure how long it will take before positive results are known, however small they...

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis and Skydiving.

Hi Guys I'm 23 years old and I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at 19 after heavy steroid treatment. Since diagnosis I have never had any fractures and frequently take part in outdoor sports like mountain biking and hiking. A Skydive has always been on my bucket list and I'm looking to take...

Last reply
  • Just been diagnosed with osteopenia

hello - I am 52 and have always eaten a good diet of cheese, milk and other dairy products - I went for a Dexa Scan in June and got the results printed up today. Doctor says I have Osteopenia and have been prescribed to take ideos chewable calcium (tablets?) and go walking and light excercise and have...

Last reply
  • Reversing bone thinning without medication

Several people have posted recently that they have been able to reverse their measured (DXA scan) bone thinning through natural means - nutrition, appropriate supplements and exercise.  It would be terrific if these people could post here some basic information - their t-scores before and after,...

Last reply
  • Help just diagnosed with osteoporosis in spine

Hi I just had a scan. I have broken my leg so asked for a scan. I am 56. I like in UK. I asked the clinician if she could tell if I had osteoporosis and was told that the scan needed to be examined by the osteoporosis nurse but yesI had osteoporosis in my spine. She said the clinic would be in contact...

Last reply
  • Ionic Strontium drops"

I found this form  of taking strontium along with boron - has anyone here taken strontium and did they find their bone density increased  ?  ​Also taking ionic multi-trace minerals in liquid form would be a good idea too, i

Last reply
  • can normal xrays show osteoporosis

I know dexa shows the scores but can normal xrays that a dr u r osteoporotic?? Every time i have had xrays of joints the Dr at the time says....u r osteoporotic have you been prescribed medication? When i say i take Calcium ,vit D etc..they say ..Is that all? ​but can u tell osteoporosis through...

Last reply
  • Challenge: put up one health tip for bones backed with evidence

My bones health tip is YOGHURT backed by a large study in Ireland that discovered that yoghurts that are high in probiotic organisms and low in sugar are beneficial to bone health. Another study from Sweden reported that fermented dairy was associated with a lower risk risk of fracture.  A US study...

Last reply
  • Prolia

I took my first shot of Prolia.  I can't  get a conclusive answer on how long this medication stays in your body until it's completely out. Anyone know ?

Last reply
  • Bottled Water

Hi everybody .  I have been taking Alendronic Acid for a few months now with no ill effects.  I always do as it says on the information supplied and take with a full glass of tap water.  A simple question,  can I use bottled water while on holiday or would it be better to not take...

Last reply
  • Inulin [FOS]

Inulin powder heps improve calcium absorption and possibly magnesium too,  Inulin is found in chicory as well as other vegetables and has many health benefits.

Last reply
  • Isoflavones!

I'm starting shortly a course of Isoflavones which act as phytoestrogens in mammals to see if after a period of time my bone density improves.  I wonder if any of you here have taken Isoflavones and if so, what was your experience?

Last reply
  • Vegetarian diet and LBM/OP

looking over a few posts it has drawn my attention to how many people here are vegetarian. Me included. I wonder if  it has contributed to our condition. Elizabeth asked me about my fish consumption and it is zero but otherwise I do eat all the good stuff and always have done. My husband has been...

Last reply
  • Anyone experience good results with Fosteum Plus?

I have had osteopenia since 2009 and now I have osteoporosis in hip. Dr. suggested Fosteum Plus since I don't want to take other drugs. A couple of years ago I took Citracal Plus with Bone Density (genistein) and my bone density actually improved slightly (I also was exercising very regularly and...

Last reply
  • Forteo experiences?

Hey friends – I have osteoporosis and I am experiencing some spinal problems, heading for a spinal fusion and laminectomy surgery June 26. Took Fosamax for years without much success, or increase in BMD. Have had many hip replacement surgeries followed by slow bone growth and difficulty healing. ...

Last reply
  • Red Clover!

Anyone here taking Red Clover for phytoestrogens - have you had beneficial results taking this supplement?

Posted
  • Dexa Scan Results

Hi, I was recommended to this forum, by my fellow Polomyalga Rheumatica people. I had a dexa scan in May and received the results today. I hate to admit I really don't understand them, apart from it shows osteoporosis at both sides ( femur neck -2.7 and L1-L4 -3.9). The rheumy has suggested IV bisphosonate....

Last reply
  • AA

ive been on Alendronic acid for a few months and have  been getting sick a few hours after taking it. How common is this? Will it affect the efficacy ?

Last reply
  • Depo Provera can weaken bones

I've been puzzling why I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I know it happens when you get older. I am 70 but have never smoked, not a big drinker, always played sports and was a weightlifter. I don't need calcium of vit D supplements. I spend so much time out in the fesh air and sun. Then...

Last reply
  • Apologies

Just want it on record here that I apologise to anyone I may have upset.  I do have strong feelings about the osteoporosis drugs, but I also understand and acknowledge that many people do need extra help to reverse their osteoporosis.  It is unfortunate that the doctors do not also give us...

Last reply
  • Some forums leave me feeling worried

I am on an National osteoporosis forum and reading it lately has left me very nervous. My t scores, -4.6lumbar are bad but, as some on here know, I am trying to not use meds. I had been feeling quite positive with This forum but have read how others with much better scores have fractured just from walking...

Last reply
  • Was diagnosed with osteoporosis 2 years ago

Had my second dexa 2 weeks ago and my results show I have managed to reverse my osteoporosis without pharmaceutical drugs My doctors were more surprised than I by the results. It is achievable with a little research and discipline .

Last reply
  • Vibration plate machine

I had my first appointment at the osteoporosis clinic since my diagnosis. I said I wasn't going to take aa. She was very understanding of my reasons and said they would read an in 18 months to see how I'm getting on with k2 magnesium vit d calcium and prunes. She mentioned that 1 patient had...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.