Skip to content

Osteoporosis and Osteopenia

Also known as DEXA Scan

All discussions in this group

Next
  • I am beyond happy and impressed

Just logged in to check my Dexa results as they now go online a few days after the scan. I had hoped to hold my own at the very least and not go backwards. I have been having vitamin K2, vitamin D3, magnesium sometimes, yoghurt every day and trying to include as many of the goodies in my diet that I...

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis after cancer treatment

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis after cancer treatment (chemo and radiations). The calcium level in my reports is good i.e. 9.9 but there is a deficiency of Vitamin D. I have started taking the supplements for Vitamin D plus an injection after every 6 months. My question is what are the chances...

Last reply
  • Back support

Has anyone used or can recommend a support belt/brace. I've had 8 fractures on my spine and although these have healed T10 is giving me some pain under my ribs. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and used a belt for support.

Last reply
  • Alendronic Acid and hair loss

I was prescribed Alendronic Acid when Protelos was no longer being produced. This was almost one year ago. I went to a locum GP with hair loss and she sent me for blood tests. I only associated Alendronic with hair loss recently. I had read the leaflet originally but though hair loss was on the list...

Last reply
  • Prolia

My doctor has asked me to read up about Prolia as he thinks it will help my osteoporosis and wants me to be sure I want the injections. Looking at the discussion here there seem to be questions but very few answers and I have searched the internet but can find little info. Is there someone who has personal...

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis, Prolia and what happens if you stop taking it.

Hi All, i had my first Prolia injection early February. I was originally told I would only be taking it for 3 years. My rheumatologist has now confirmed it will be for life due to recent studies regarding what happens once you go off it. I’d love to know if anyone has been on Prolia for a few years,...

Last reply
  • Zolendrate

Could anyone help me please with the long term side effects of Zolendrate?  I have had severe muscular pain when taking alendronic acid.  I have been offered an annul infusion of zolendrate but I really cannot cope if the side effects are the same and last all year.  If they wear off in...

Last reply
  • Dexa scan results

Hi. Anyone who's had a dexa scan have the results gone back to your gp the same day?? Im so worried that's something's wrong as I was told a week to 2 weeks for results

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis, thyroid, prolia

Hi, I have been lurking and seeing some great info.  I am newly diagnosed,  hip -2.74, spine -1.47.   GP has given me a script for Prolia, but I do not want to take it, the possible side effects are not acceptable to me. I have Hashimotos Thyroidism, diagnosed decades ago and have...

Last reply
  • osteoporosis and fracture treatment

last year i fractured my ankle, it healed but i recovered stability only partially, i have a sedentary job and also used the foot brace way too much. this summer i forced myself to walk and pains started to increase,  i just had x-rays results that show secondary osteoporosis to the leg. the doctor...

Last reply
  • Suffering and fighting against osteoporosis and coxarthrosis

I am 69 years old and I suffer of coxarthrosis (hip arthrosis with narrowing of the articular space at both hips, predominant on right side) and osteoporosis. From 65 to 68 years, I had osteopenia; my GP said that is no so grave and I didn’t take any medicine, but I was very active person, enjoying long...

Last reply
  • Denosumab problems

Discontinuing denosumab (Prolia) can lead to vertebral fracture, apparently not related to the underlying osteoporosis, but to the development of microcracks in the bones from denosumab. Advice is to replace denosumab, not go cold turkey off the med. Sounds like this drug is ripe for lawsuits, and perhaps...

Last reply
  • Bone density and calcium supplementation

I have recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in my spine. I am now taking a supplement which is supposed to target this problem and containts D2, K2, C, calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, potassium, boron. I got it as I was looking for something to start taking immediately. Now I am wondering...

Last reply
  • Vibration Therapy & Osteoporosis

I have recently been reading up on the "wonders" of the Power Plate. This is what I have researched so far. ." Vibration training can increase muscle strength 20 to 30 percent more than conventional strength training, while dramatically cutting training time. There are also a number...

Last reply
  • Just Diagnosed with a - 4.1 Left Femoral Neck T-score

Hello All, I've just been diagnosed with osteoporosis due to a -4.1 t-score of the left femoral neck.  I am horrified.  My lumbar spine (-2.4) and left hip (-2.3) are not quite there, but not good either.  10 years ago I was diagnosed as having osteopenia, but I was never given the...

Last reply
  • Reversing bone thinning without medication

Several people have posted recently that they have been able to reverse their measured (DXA scan) bone thinning through natural means - nutrition, appropriate supplements and exercise.  It would be terrific if these people could post here some basic information - their t-scores before and after,...

Last reply
  • Bone Density greatly improved

Hi everyone. Nearly 2yrs and 7mths ago I had a fall and shattered my ankle. ( still have problems with it) I was sent for a Dexa scan which did show lumbar spine -2.8 and fermoral neck -2.0. The doctor put me on Prolia ( I know many of you are raising your arms with a frown right now) I have been taking...

Last reply
  • Dealing with pain from osteoporosis

I have been dealing with osteoporosis for 10 years. 5 of which I was on medication. In the past 2 years, I have had 7 fx ribs, and it was revealed on x day that I have a t-6 compressed disc. Only medication I am taking for it is Vitamin D and Calcium. Any clues as to how to get through the pain besides...

Last reply
  • Me

Just been diagnosed with osteoporosis, still in shock had fall in December, don't know score yet waiting for letter I'm 44 had early menopause due to large fibroid and growth had hysterectomy two years ago, had degeneration and fibromyalgia, I've joined Facebook group but no one's chatted...

Last reply
  • Bottled Water

Hi everybody .  I have been taking Alendronic Acid for a few months now with no ill effects.  I always do as it says on the information supplied and take with a full glass of tap water.  A simple question,  can I use bottled water while on holiday or would it be better to not take...

Last reply
  • Zolendronic acid

I have osteoporosis.  I have taken the usual treatments for nearly a year but had to stop as the muscle aches got so bad I was having to take pain  killers to stop the aches.  I have now been offered an infusion of zolendronic acid.  I really can't cope if the muscle pains last...

Last reply
  • New diagnosis of osteopenia

Hi, I’m 43 and yesterday was informed my bone density test was -2.3 and -2.2. My ortho wants me to take forteo. We agreed to maintain for the time being (until I can look more into medication) and I started taking fosamax this morning. After some research into forteo my husband and I have agreed I’m...

Last reply
  • Pradaxa, the new age blood thinners and k2

I am on Pradaxa for blood clots. My hip broke due to osteoporosis, was given a new hip and developed blood clots. There seems to be some confusion a out taking k2 with Pradaxa. Has anyone got any reliable information. My doctor days all k vitamins are toxic. Pharmacist was unsure. He says definitely...

Last reply
  • Prolia - 55 years old Spine -2.9, Hip-2.7, should I do this?

I am being advised to start Prolia and would like feedback as to whether these results are reversible without Prolia. I went through menopause in my early 30's and did a few years of Fosamax over 15 years ago. I need to increase my weight bearing exercising but have always taken Calcium.  Any...

Last reply
  • Exercising and osteoporosis

I have been told that bending forward is not advisable when having osteoporosis, I am confused because I seem to bend all the time when exercising, any ideas what they mean with that ? Thanks

Last reply
  • weight vest?

It seems that some people use weight vests as part of their strategy to improve bone density. Has anybody tried this? I do body pump classes and I have heard that you should not squat with a heavy bar as this would not be good for your back (if you have loss of bone density). How much weight can one...

Last reply
  • New Osteoporosis diagnosis

After reading many discussions in this group, very happy to find this group, I see that I need to add vitamin k and magnesium to my vitamins already take Hydroxyapatite and d3. Very shocked to learn that a -2.5 for my left hip was not as a terrible diagnosis as they made it out to be with  Osteopenia...

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis - Thin bones?

This may be a dumb question but here goes.  Eight months ago I broke my wrist in a bicycle accident. X-rays showed extreme arthritis and when the fracture healed my thumb was fused and very painful. X-rays also showed a 2nd fracture at base of thumb which ortho ignored and I'm convinced this...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.