Skip to content

Osteoporosis and Osteopenia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • osteoporosis and fracture treatment

last year i fractured my ankle, it healed but i recovered stability only partially, i have a sedentary job and also used the foot brace way too much. this summer i forced myself to walk and pains started to increase,  i just had x-rays results that show secondary osteoporosis to the leg. the doctor...

Last reply
  • New Osteoporosis diagnosis

After reading many discussions in this group, very happy to find this group, I see that I need to add vitamin k and magnesium to my vitamins already take Hydroxyapatite and d3. Very shocked to learn that a -2.5 for my left hip was not as a terrible diagnosis as they made it out to be with  Osteopenia...

Last reply
  • Bottled Water

Hi everybody .  I have been taking Alendronic Acid for a few months now with no ill effects.  I always do as it says on the information supplied and take with a full glass of tap water.  A simple question,  can I use bottled water while on holiday or would it be better to not take...

Last reply
  • Reversing bone thinning without medication

Several people have posted recently that they have been able to reverse their measured (DXA scan) bone thinning through natural means - nutrition, appropriate supplements and exercise.  It would be terrific if these people could post here some basic information - their t-scores before and after,...

Last reply
  • Exercising and osteoporosis

I have been told that bending forward is not advisable when having osteoporosis, I am confused because I seem to bend all the time when exercising, any ideas what they mean with that ? Thanks

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis - Thin bones?

This may be a dumb question but here goes.  Eight months ago I broke my wrist in a bicycle accident. X-rays showed extreme arthritis and when the fracture healed my thumb was fused and very painful. X-rays also showed a 2nd fracture at base of thumb which ortho ignored and I'm convinced this...

Last reply
  • Vibration Therapy & Osteoporosis

I have recently been reading up on the "wonders" of the Power Plate. This is what I have researched so far. ." Vibration training can increase muscle strength 20 to 30 percent more than conventional strength training, while dramatically cutting training time. There are also a number...

Last reply
  • Osteopenia. Further scan after 3 years?

Nearly three years ago, after a DEXA scan, I was told I had osteopenia.  I had requested the DEXA scan because my Vitamin D level was extremely low and I believe my mother had osteoporosis - she broke her arm after a simple fall when in her sixties.  The consultant wrote to my GP and told him...

Last reply
  • Don't want to take medication

I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis My t-score was --2.9. I was wondering if that is considered a really bad score. My Dr wants to put me on medication and I am reluctant . I ve read up on some of the meds and the side effects sound pretty horrific. I'm leaning toward not taking them...

Last reply
  • Female Osteoporosis

I'm a 59 y/o postmenopausal female that was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis with a T score of -3.2. Was sent to an endocrine doc and did several blood tests as well. The doc wanted to start me on hormone therapy and injections based on my bone density test. I was prescribed the estrogen Duavee...

Last reply
  • Alternative to Denosumab??

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis for 5 years now t scores -4:3 and -3:7. I was not happy to take alendronic acid as I have gut problems and tend to be allergic to lots of things so have managed to keep t scores same for 5 years with diet supplements and exercise. However in last scan there was...

Last reply
  • Denosumab problems

Discontinuing denosumab (Prolia) can lead to vertebral fracture, apparently not related to the underlying osteoporosis, but to the development of microcracks in the bones from denosumab. Advice is to replace denosumab, not go cold turkey off the med. Sounds like this drug is ripe for lawsuits, and perhaps...

Last reply
  • Dexa scan results

Hi. Anyone who's had a dexa scan have the results gone back to your gp the same day?? Im so worried that's something's wrong as I was told a week to 2 weeks for results

Last reply
  • Osteoarthritis

I have just returned home from hospital due to dibilitating back pain.whilst in I had an MRI which showed posterior building of the L2/L3,L3/L4 and L4/ L5 also it showed haemangioma in the L3 veritable body posteriorly, also I have scolosis<br /> Could anyone explain this to me in laymen terms...

Last reply
  • Very anxious about treatment

During scans for my lower left side pain, possibly diverticular disease, it was found that I had a spinal fracture and a hemaginoma. I had no back pain and no idea when the spinal fracture occurred. As a result of this I had a bone density scan and have been diagnosed with osteopenia and in one area,...

Last reply
  • osteporosis worsened

I took  Fosamax for two years and then an endocrinologist switched me to Evista. I showed approvement later that year but now I have worsened (-3.25 hip) after 2 years on Evista. My endocronologist wants me to start Forteo or Tymlos now. I consistently walk 4-5 times per week.  I am considering...

Last reply
  • Non weightbearing for 3yrs

Following high impact trauma multiple fractures 2014. Just started limited mobility on crutches 6 months ago. Just diagnosed with osteoporosis. given the "cause" will i respond more favourably to biphosohate therapy given "improving nobility" versus other causes,Many thanks

Last reply
  • How does a high igA level in the blood decrease bone density?

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis( T-score -4.3) and my endocrinologist attributes it to a high level of igA in my blood ( 4.32), because the only risk factor is my age( 76). Other than this, I don't present any other of the typical risk factors normally associated with o.p. In fact I am very...

Last reply
  • How to build bone backed by a study

Have the superfoods which include the following: green leafy vegetables including kale, book choy, red cabbage, etc. citrus fruits prunes onions broccoli tomatoes green beans mushrooms cucumber leeks herbs yoghurt  spices alkaline People who have osteopenia in particular can build bone and others...

Last reply
  • More confusion

Hi everyone. I have just gone to order my K2 as I am running low and the previous ones I ordered are no longer available. However, I now seem to have a choice of K2 mk4 OR K2 mk7. Have no idea what one I was taking before or what I should be buying now. Further investigations show that huge amounts of...

Last reply
  • Confusion

Today I talked to a doctor that said No osteoporosis could be reversed regardless the reason.(menopause,alcohol, malnutrition, sedentary life) In the best case it could be Stoped. I'm really getting desperate....

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed with Osteoporosis

Hi, I have been recently diagnosed with Osteoporosis having experienced severe pain due to a fractured spine. I am 44 and wondering if the pain ever goes away and if your daily life can be the same as before? Many Thanks, Arlene.

Last reply
  • Forks over knives

I saw a movie showing how degenerative changes are mostly due to dairy foods and how Asian people have less problems of that matter due to their dairy free food culture.at least until they adopted Western Union culture habits. Must watch. Forks over knives

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis and COPD

I suffer from osteoporosis in my back and am just getting over a COPD flare up. Through coughing so much I pulled all the muscles in my upper body. I know it will take time for them to heal but I am in agony Can anyone suggest a painkiller that will dull the pain in my back as I am not able to stand...

Last reply
  • Treatment Decision

Hi all, I would appreciate some advice. I am based in the UK and recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis in hip and lower back. The nurse I saw today suggested two treatments. . 6monthly injection, Prolia. 12monthly infusion Zoledronic acid. Both have side effects, reduction in immune system, and one...

Last reply
  • Wheat grass

I just came across a video on YouTube about the benefits of a plant called wheat grass. Have any of you used it? It's supposedly best nutrition for bones,since it absorbs much more sun than any other plant.its used to cure cancer.....detox and renew cells..

Last reply
  • Junkies:)

I just read a comment somewhere and I really would like to share it with you guys. Someone was saying people with OS should stop search for the reasons why,because they are simply junkies: ) that got it either from drinking,smoking too much or from having unprotected sex. With few words we are all Hiv...

Last reply
  • Slow healing hip fracture

Posted on here a few months ago just after fracturing my hip and having pulmonary embolism. Hip was repaired with nail and pins, but after 3months I am still unable to walk without using one crutch and still getting burning searing pains in my hip and leg. Worried that it is as good as it will get and...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.