Skip to content

Osteoporosis and Osteopenia

Also known as DEXA Scan

All discussions in this group

Next
  • "Severe Osteoporosis" diagnosis. Now significant improvement.

Four and a  half years ago I got this diagnosis (age 62) out of the blue. I had no symptoms, no fractures, and the GP had suggested a Dexa scan. All of a sudden I changed from a person who was really active, (even used to rollerblade!) to one who felt fearful and delicate.  I read about …

Last reply
  • Anybody taking Prolia?

Is there anybody here that can help me? what do you think abou mt Prolia, it looks like it ia one of medication with not too much side effects. What do you think? Thank you so much

Last reply
  • osteoporosis and fracture treatment

last year i fractured my ankle, it healed but i recovered stability only partially, i have a sedentary job and also used the foot brace way too much. this summer i forced myself to walk and pains started to increase,  i just had x-rays results that show secondary osteoporosis to the leg. the …

Last reply
  • How to interpret Blood tests for mineral levels

I have had multiple blood tests following the initial diagnosis of osteoporosis. These range through , minerals calcium, Mg, Phosphate in the blood, and others measuring minerals, infections etc in urine. From what I understand, mineral levels in the blood (except for iron?) give no indication …

Last reply
  • How much Magnesium?

I take about 600 Mg of Calcium and 580 Mg Magnesium every day.  I don't know if this is the right combination because I'm still confused about how to take each and how much Magnesium.  How can I tell I have enough Mag in my body?  I went to see my MD and should have blood …

Last reply
  • Are you getting enough calcium?

According to my blood tests I am but when I do the online checks to see if my daily/weekly calcium is sufficient the answer is no! I think I will start to do a top up that gives a bit of a boost to my daily calcium. A bit of cheese seems to be the best source of calcium. Add yoghurt, leafy greens …

Last reply
  • I am beyond happy and impressed

Just logged in to check my Dexa results as they now go online a few days after the scan. I had hoped to hold my own at the very least and not go backwards. I have been having vitamin K2, vitamin D3, magnesium sometimes, yoghurt every day and trying to include as many of the goodies in my diet that …

Last reply
  • Reversing bone thinning without medication

Several people have posted recently that they have been able to reverse their measured (DXA scan) bone thinning through natural means - nutrition, appropriate supplements and exercise.  It would be terrific if these people could post here some basic information - their t-scores before and …

Last reply
  • I’m 61 and diagnosed with osteoporosis – Devastated!

After two weeks, I was finally able to review my lab results and face reality.  L femur neck -3, L total femur .2.5, spine -3.80.  As some of the people here, I’m trying to decide if not taking Prolia is an option.    I had radiation and chemotherapy in 2010 due to cancer.  …

Last reply
  • Algae Cal

Have any of you heard or try Algae Cal? Someone sent me a video with a lady talking about it and and about how much it helped her osteoporosis. I googled it and all I could find is advertisements.   

Last reply
  • FOSAMAX

I am new here and lost, my bone density results are not good comparing the one 2 years ago,according to my doctor. She put me on Fosamax and i am scared to take it after reading all the bad reviews, i started menopause at 38 and I am 47 now, PLEASE ANY ADVICE

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis results range for different parts of the body

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis based upon DEXA results taken from hip, forearm and spine. Spine is over -3.0 hip is around -2.5 and forearm is -0.3. Coincidentally I had full body DEXA scan that showed that overall I was OK, - meaning arms, legs, skull were good while ribs, spine …

Last reply
  • Decompression therapy - is it effective?

i am 71ex athlete who had cancer remission and fractured back L1-L5 which has stabiles but tremendous pain only when standing longer than 10 minutes  so I have tried PT, water therapy,acupuncture, pain drugs oxy,tramadol,, med marijuana, tens unit, and nothing has helped.  As a last …

Posted
  • Decompression therapy

Have you had success with decompression therapy. How long did it last? What did you pay for 24 appts.were you uncomfortable doing it.

Posted
  • K2 vitamins and anticoagulants supplements

Most people use K2-MK4 or MK7 vitamins as basic treatment for osteoporosis, as well as diet rich in K vitamins, many green vegetables, alfaalfa, etc. On the same time there are a lot of very popular supplements or foods with blood-thinning effects (anticoagulant effect), such as omega 3, coenzyme Q1 …

Last reply
  • daughter

well my daughter has osteoporosis in her spine 3.4 how bad is this she has anorexia and is 24 yrs old please can anyone help x   

Last reply
  • Diagnosed with osteoporosis @ 53 (terrified)

Hi folks.im new to this forum and am seeking both help and support.  After being diagnosed as osteopenic @ 44, I have since supported degeneration of both my cervical and thoracic spine and and suspecting my lumbar spine as well.  I’m seeing a neuro surgeon in a few weeks and I’ve just …

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis after cancer treatment

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis after cancer treatment (chemo and radiations). The calcium level in my reports is good i.e. 9.9 but there is a deficiency of Vitamin D. I have started taking the supplements for Vitamin D plus an injection after every 6 months. My question is what are the …

Last reply
  • Back support

Has anyone used or can recommend a support belt/brace. I've had 8 fractures on my spine and although these have healed T10 is giving me some pain under my ribs. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and used a belt for support.

Last reply
  • Alendronic Acid and hair loss

I was prescribed Alendronic Acid when Protelos was no longer being produced. This was almost one year ago. I went to a locum GP with hair loss and she sent me for blood tests. I only associated Alendronic with hair loss recently. I had read the leaflet originally but though hair loss was on the …

Last reply
  • Prolia

My doctor has asked me to read up about Prolia as he thinks it will help my osteoporosis and wants me to be sure I want the injections. Looking at the discussion here there seem to be questions but very few answers and I have searched the internet but can find little info. Is there someone who has …

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis, Prolia and what happens if you stop taking it.

Hi All, i had my first Prolia injection early February. I was originally told I would only be taking it for 3 years. My rheumatologist has now confirmed it will be for life due to recent studies regarding what happens once you go off it. I’d love to know if anyone has been on Prolia for a few …

Last reply
  • Zolendrate

Could anyone help me please with the long term side effects of Zolendrate?  I have had severe muscular pain when taking alendronic acid.  I have been offered an annul infusion of zolendrate but I really cannot cope if the side effects are the same and last all year.  If they wear off …

Last reply
  • Dexa scan results

Hi. Anyone who's had a dexa scan have the results gone back to your gp the same day?? Im so worried that's something's wrong as I was told a week to 2 weeks for results

Last reply
  • Osteoporosis, thyroid, prolia

Hi, I have been lurking and seeing some great info.  I am newly diagnosed,  hip -2.74, spine -1.47.   GP has given me a script for Prolia, but I do not want to take it, the possible side effects are not acceptable to me. I have Hashimotos Thyroidism, diagnosed decades ago and …

Last reply
  • Suffering and fighting against osteoporosis and coxarthrosis

I am 69 years old and I suffer of coxarthrosis (hip arthrosis with narrowing of the articular space at both hips, predominant on right side) and osteoporosis. From 65 to 68 years, I had osteopenia; my GP said that is no so grave and I didn’t take any medicine, but I was very active person, enjoying …

Last reply
  • Denosumab problems

Discontinuing denosumab (Prolia) can lead to vertebral fracture, apparently not related to the underlying osteoporosis, but to the development of microcracks in the bones from denosumab. Advice is to replace denosumab, not go cold turkey off the med. Sounds like this drug is ripe for lawsuits, and …

Last reply
  • Bone density and calcium supplementation

I have recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in my spine. I am now taking a supplement which is supposed to target this problem and containts D2, K2, C, calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, potassium, boron. I got it as I was looking for something to start taking immediately. Now I am …

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.