Any one had a Dexa scan that showed improvement in bone

Posted , 13 users are following.

Any one had a Dexa scan that showed improvement in bone density from the previous Dexa Scan?

What medication had you been taking prior to this improvement please?

Appreciative of replies.

V

1 like, 101 replies

101 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I personally have not had a second scan, don't expect to for another six months at the earliest.  However a good friend of mine had a second scan after her initial diagnosis of osteoporosis.  She went the natural route, took none of the OP meds, but rather used nutrition and exercise, and her next scan, two years later, showed she had moved into osteopenia range.  It was this experience which encouraged me to resist the medications and follow her example.  I was talking to her recently and she said a subsequent scan shows continuing improvement.  I'm sorry I don't have her exact numbers.  She told me she thinks that Nordic walking is what has helped most when it comes to exercise.  She is not a great believer in dairy as a source of calcium, preferring to get it from leafy greens, etc.  Like me she also gets the other important micronutrients (Vitamins D3, K2, magnesium, boron, silica and so forth).
    • Posted

I too didnt go down the ZA infusion route but started on all the vits associated with it (K2, D3 etc) I go for another scan in 6 months time and hopefully have made progress 

​I have exercised all my life including lifting weights and consider myself fit , and was disappointed to be told I had OP ( diagnosed 6 months ago , I am now 64)

• Posted

I am really surprised at how many of us have always done so many preventitive measures, the ones we are advised to do after our diagnosis, but still have OP. You have added vitamins to your diet that you  think you may have been missing out on. But where do we go if we do all these things and still deteriorate? It is a big dilemma. I hope the vits do the trick for you, but can a year on vitamins really change your t-score. I know I am being a bit negative here and I am not normally a negative person but this has got me thinking. Why are so many of us suffering from OP when we, in theory, are doing everything that is recommended? There has to be something, not yet discovered other than, hereditary, diet, exercise, smoking, etc that we dont know as yet. Please dont think I am getting at you shaq. Its just got me thinking.
    • Posted

I know what u mean allison..I honestly dont know the real answer to why we get OP...out of the blue, with no family history etc. and very depressing if i dwell on it ...however, I will wait and see what the next scan shows, in the meantime i continue with my excercises/ weights and increase calcium etc etc.. and you  r right, maybe down the line they will discover the 'smoking gun' of OP..in the meantime...we all do what we think is best for us.  In my case I havent had any fractures at all (inspite of nasty falls including a galloping horse in my early 40s) and the latest bad fall was a few months before discovery of OP....not even sure why the rhuem sent me for a scan except maybe he thought i was 2 thin... but that in itself is no reason for OP..
    • Posted

You are correct. We must all do what we think is right for us. However. You have raised a new question. Do fat people have OP. They certainly fall more, but have more cushioning.
    • Posted

an interesting question Alison

my mother fell down the stairs and hospitalised at 84 yrs old..suspected mini stroke.. and nothing broken...she is very fat...... if only 'thin' people are seen to be at risk then this means people dont tend 2 get OP or is it because they dont break bones frequently  their OP is not discovered until breaking a hip during a fall??

​a cheeky question : are you also considered 'thin'?

• Posted

I am plonk in the middle of normal, if you use the BMI scale.  1.70m tall and 60-61kgs. 61 years old, I wore my 21st party dress on my 60th birthday. Only difference. Needed a bra last time round!!!! Perhaps if you just eat more, in general, you get fat, but you are less likely to be deficient in the trace elements and calcium etc just because of the volume of food you take.
    • Posted

It is interesting and one begins to wonder whether there is actually something wrong with the definition of "osteoporosis".  Could it be that if you have a lighter frame you are going to be considered osteoporotic or osteopenic just by virtue of the bones being smaller?  But in fact the bones are just fine for someone of your build?  Like I've said elsewhere I am such a klutz, if my bones were as fragile as my doctor seems to think I'd be in little pieces by now, and the fact is, I'm not. Perhaps the definition of osteoporosis should be including factors like certain body measurements (e.g wrist circumference, height/weight ratio, that kind of thing).  Perhaps this has already been studied and proven worthless, or maybe ....❓
    • Posted

Alison,  did you not know that fat people bounce??   

Seriously, I think the reason fat people don't suffer from bone loss like us skinnys is that the weight stresses the bones more and therefore helps keep them strong. It like exercising all the time!!!  And, of course there's the extra padding.    On the other hand, fat people have more JOINT problems because of this very heavy (!) stress on their joints. So OP or OA?   That's the choice.. . . . 

A final bonus of being fat is that you have considerably fewer wrinkles . .  J

• Posted

All true, but was not sure if constantly carrying weight around had the same effect. Another thing, I have seen a bit of a connection. Several perople on this forum have been or still are, vegetarian. Me included, for 37 years. Cant understand how I can build muscle easily and not bone. Shurley it should be the other way round. As for wrinkles. Dont have many. Used factor 50 always. Determined to avoid malignant melanoma. Result, vit D deficiency. Always enjoy your sense of humour though, as well as your chats
    • Posted

Alison,  I'm also vegetarian. Had serious difficulties re. meat and animal welfare since I was about 12.  Overall poor protien intake though and that can be a contributary factor to OP . . . . .  Stress also. . .     J
    • Posted

Certainly had the stress but I am certain my protien intake has always been more than adequate. Never liked red meat but was forced to eat it until I was about 20. Usually ate it covered in cheese to mask the taste. At 24 gave up meat, chicken and fish. Husband is a better cook than me and he has been veggie since he was 8. Ate a smoked kipper on my wedding morning and that was it. Still got a pair of legs a footballer would be proud of though. And, my B12 levels are good
    • Posted

Well,  when I think of a footballer's legs I'd think 2 great  big hairy telephone poles!!   However, ( happily)  up until you mentioned it, I've never actually contemplated  such a  vision . . . .  !  
    • Posted

I am shorter than at 1.62 and so  weigh less. My weight fluctuates by 3 kgs depending on levels of stress (so dont sleep well) and when on holiday  (eating more).

​You could be right about less deficiencies if u tend to eat more

• Posted

If you go the dexa site and put in your scan results and change the 'country ' button you get the different probabilites of fractures. So the same scan results change fracture probablities depending on your nationality, which was surprising...so maybe height weight does affect the outcome depending on the 'norm' for your nationality.
    • Posted

My mother and sisters are proof that fat people have fewer wrinkles and they also probably bounce when they fall smile
    • Posted

Juno u r thinknig of rugby legs; from what i see a lot of footballers have 'slim' legs smile
    • Posted

Shaq is this a site run by the company that manufactures the DXA machines?  How would I find it?  I know you can't post a link.
    • Posted

Not all people with OP are skinny though and people often have op for different reasons, some drugs thin the bones, if underweight or suffered with anorexia or similar at any time, imbalance in the diet, not eating enough nutrients, too much fizzy drinks, excessive salt intake, sometimes its hereditary, sometimes young women and young children have osteoporosis for various reasons.  Its by no means a one size one age illness.  menopause and vitamin D deficiency other chronic illness.

https://patient.info/doctor/osteoporosis-pro

https://patient.info/health/osteoporosis-leaflet

https://patient.info/doctor/osteoporosis-risk-assessment-and-primary-prevention

• Posted

I know. But my frustration comes, when I discovered I had OP before the menapause and no risk factors other than being a woman. I can go down the natural path, because I already did that and it didnt work for me.
    • Posted

That's rotten luck alison, so sorry,  I took Non steroidal anti inflammatory for years for bad period pain, long term these can interfere with nutrient absorption / cause bone thinning.  Quite a lot of medications long term can be a problem.
    • Posted

i just googled . From what i remember it was an English site.. i think it may even have been NHS? (National Health Service ..if u r not British) I honestly cant remember...(sorry -- my age sad   )
    • Posted

Actually shaq, I haven't thought too much about either sets of legs  - this was all Alison's fault . . . .  !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.