Any one had a Dexa scan that showed improvement in bone

Posted , 13 users are following.

Any one had a Dexa scan that showed improvement in bone density from the previous Dexa Scan?

What medication had you been taking prior to this improvement please?

Appreciative of replies.

V

1 like, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

In my area, a scan is only done every 5 years, but I will be scanned after 3 because I had no risk factors and have done all the preventitave measures, all my life. Got another 20 months to wait.!!!  I am pretty sure Juno said she had an improvement of 11% but I dont remember the time scale.
  • Edited

Many thanks both.  I 've tried two bisphosphonates, both not able to tolerate, I was only on minimal time.  My option next is Prolia Denosuma.  I do the good diet D3 etc, I've had two Dexa scans and about to have a 3rd.  Between my first and 2nd Dexa Scan bone thinning worsened even with gym 3-4 times a week and walking, gardening, grow my own veg including kale, so you can imagine the disappointment.  Last visit with the rheumatologist he said if bone density is stable could delay the treatment, but if it had thinned further it would be advisable to have the drug treatment.

I am praying at least I have stablized and hope that there has even been some slight improvement.

Its been 2 years since my last Dexa scan, but it was 4 years between the 1st and 2nd one.

My T score currently is -2.8 in the spine and -2.6 fem neck /hip, osteopenie in left hip and feet.  Do you mind my asking what T scores you both have?

Many thanks for your replies. 

V

• Posted

I do hope your score has not deteriorated and fingers crossed for you. Yes I can imagine your disappointment. Having done all the "natural things" all my life, I could not believe I had OP. Doing the right things, before my diagnosis, meant I had nowhere to turn except to the meds. Also, 2 spinal fractures secured my decision. I would be relieved if I stayed the same to be honest. Absolutly over the moon with any improvement. My score was/is -3.5.
    • Posted

I have not yet seen my complete report (last September was the scan) but I did manage to find out that my t-score was -2.0, and I think that was at the hip.  I will not get to see the whole report until I participate in a workshop, but I haven't been given a date yet, despite signing up months ago!  For another reason I had spine x-rayed in 2014 and there were no signs of fractures.
    • Posted

Thanks Alison, I've not fractured yet and hope I never do but that's probably wishful thinking, yet some with severe op have not fractured and some with less severe have, so I've heard.  Its all unknown.

I hope you find when you have your Dexa scan you will find some improvement or at least your score remains stable.

Best wishes V

• Edited

I have heard that the DXA machine is so idiosyncratic that it is best if you not only have all your scans done on the same machine but with the same technician.  Kind of makes you wonder how accurate they really are, doesn't it?  Vee, have you ever had any fractures?  Maybe you're in better shape than you think, especially if you've always looked after yourself well.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga, thanks for replying.

Your T-2.0 is not osteoporosis, but it is osteopenia, (the state before osteoporosis) and you shouldn't need medications at this point but of course should be advised about diet and exercise, which I guess you already are.

Hope you stay in the osteopenia stage.

Best wishes V

• Posted

I don't pay much mind to hearsay without evidence really and I've never been able to find the reason why people are saying the dexa scan readings will vary from one machine to another.  I believe all hospital equipment is maintained annually and checked for accuracy.  But I will try and remember to ask the radiographer when I go for my next scan.

I have never heard of dexa readings needing to be done by the same technician, that doesn't quite ring true with me but I guess even technicians have failing eyesight lol

I've not fractured, not lost height, do not now have a low BMI (although in my youth I did)  my osteoporosis was diagnosed after menopause and it was found at that time I was also vitamin D deficient this along with need to take a 3 month course of steroids for another health issue was not at that time helpful to bone health, unfortunate circumstances.

There are many reasons people have thinning bones I have a reasonable idea what the cause of mine was.

However I am (hopefully) no long vitamin D deficient (just had that retested) I do take D3 2000IU daily through winter months and 1000IU during summer.

I do hope my bones are in better shape now than they were at the last dexa scan reading.

• Posted

Actually this is not hearsay, it is recommended.  " Many factors affect the accuracy of BMD testing, including intermachine variance; therefore, any repeat DXA ideally should be with the same machine" -  from american family physician article.
    • Posted

I had a devil of a time getting that t-score and my doctor still says I have osteoporosis (she only has the summary of the report which doesn't include the t-score).  I basically just politely decline her repeated offers of AA!
    • Posted

I was refused the Vitamin D test.  If my next scan shows any worsening I will insist.  However I've been taking Vitamin D3 supplement for many years, long before this ill health journey started.
    • Posted

could you pm me the link of that article please Anhaga?

Many thanks

• Posted

I requested the Vit D levels when diagnosed purely because I had taken oral steroids for another illness which is known to cause bone thinning.

You may not be deficient if you are supplementing already.  Good for you.

• Posted

Vee, I take prednisone for polymyalgia.
    • Posted

I bookmarked it, so I'll send it along.
    • Posted

There is just one reason for your bone thinning Anhaga.  I don't know why doctors don't automatically prescribe calcium and d3 if there is a need long term for oral steroids.
    • Posted

She did.  She told me to take calcium and D, which I already had been for many years so I doubled what I'd been taking.  Later I added some other nutritional supplements.  Also increased certain types of exercise. Frankly I don't think I do have "thin" bones, I'm just a fairly light-framed person.
    • Posted

When I was at the open clinic, we were told that the new guidlines involve taking only 1 calcium and vitD tablet in 2 halves. Your body cant absorb more than you need anyway. Any excess taken, is excreted in the urine. So a supplement of 500 mg of calcium plus your normal diet, would be sufficent. Wish they would stop changing the rules all the time
    • Posted

My doubling the dose just meant moving from the minimum suggested to the maximum, and I think the maximum was about 500 mg.  I'm taking a different supplement now which I will continue with until next DXA scan whenever that is.  One of the problems is if you take too much calcium without also making sure you get enough Vitamin K2 and magnesium and a few other micronutrients you run the risk of the calcium not getting absorbed into the bones so people had been getting kidney stones and heart disease etc.
    • Posted

Well, so far, all is well in these 2 departments. Even dietery supplements has side effects
    • Posted

That's what I do alison, 1 x 500mg and 400IU in one tablet daily with additional 2000IU D2 and K2 Mk7 during winter months particularly.

The theory is the body can't deal with more than one 500mg calcium dose in supplement form at one time (can't remember where I read that) but it can deal with it without a problem if same amount or excess of that amount is taken from the food we eat, within reason of course.

@Anhaga the recommended dose for calcium varies depending which age group you are in, also if pregnant or in senior years, for people with OP for instance the recommended daily supplement is 1,200 mg (especially if taking bone meds) for other adults (over 50 I think) its 700mg but that is the dose for 'supplements'.   

For me I'd say 500mg supplement is adequate as I would take between 500 and 700 mg easily in my diet.

People who exceed the recommend daily amount in supplement form risk what can lead to serious health issues for sure.

• Posted

that should read D3 not D2
    • Posted

My supplement is well withing (below) that range.  smile   Personally I think we need all the other micronutrients just as much as calcium, whivch we get a fair amount of in a balanced diet anyway.
    • Posted

The health issues are concerning cardiovascular system in particular,, because of our deficiency in micronutrients that aid in the correct absorption of calcium.
    • Posted

that was regarding the bodies needs for many nutrients micro and in perfect chemistry balance to maintain good health, bones and all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.