dexa scan results confusion , help please

Posted , 1 user is following.

hello , I was referred for a dexa scan after a relatively minor fall resulted in serious fractures of my Tibia Fibula and 4 Metatarsals . I had extensive surgery to fix my bones with plates and screws .

I had a text message from my GP asking me to book a telephone appointment to discuss the results . I couldn't get an appointment for 2 weeks so i asked the receptionist to email me the results which she did .

these were my results

Bone mineral density (BMD) measured using a Hologic DXA scanner.

Bone mineral density (BMD) summary result:

Lumbar spine (L1-L4) T-score = -1.7

T-score = -1.9 Z-score = -0.6

Right femoral neck T-score = -1.2

Z-score = 0.1

FRAX 10-year fracture risks based on femoral neck BMD plus patient risk factors:

Major Osteoporotic Fracture: 22 %

Hip Fracture:

1.9 %

My GP has since called me but didn't really elaborate on the above . I asked if I had Osteoporosis but he didn't give me a straight answer . He has given me a prescription for Calcium and vitamin D supplements and suggested that i consider bisphosphonates .

can I ask for your opinions please on understanding my results

I am female age 60 . slightly overweight but overall in good health .

thank you .

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.