Osteopenia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 50 year old female who was diagnosed with osteopenia about 4/5 years ago. I have recently been having pain all down my left hip where I have osteopenia. The doctor did send me for an x-ray to see if I had arthritis. thankfully i don't. can anyone tell me if they have pain with osteopenia? and how often do you need a scan?

aabb

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Osteopenia is normal bone thinning which occurs with age. It's also a heads-up to get the right nutrients for bone health, take a few supplements, and do exercise to keep your bones strong and avoid slipping into osteoporosis levels.

I think aching legs can be caused by a number of things, including poor circulation, possibly a need for more magnesium, or a Vitamin D deficiency. You can also get referred pain from another area, for example a compressed nerve in the spine.

You should be due for another scan by about now, but before allowing a doctor to prescribe any osteoporosis drugs do a lot of research. If you read my story you'll get a few ideas. Google HealthUnlocked my osteoporosis journey

• Posted

Thank you for commenting. I do exercise and go out walking, I also take Adcal tablets that was prescriped because of the osteopenia. I am intolerant to dairy so it makes it hard to eat foods containing calcium. I might look into taking magnesium tablets to help. I have been in a lot of pain recently with other joints/muscles, been using creams rather than painkillers.

• Edited

Dairy isn't the only source of calcium. In fact vegetable sources are good, even better. Just google dairy free sources of calcium for some ideas. After all, no animals other than humans consume milk after infancy!

Vitamin K2 (not K1) is very important so if you can it would be a good idea to add that supplement. If you are eating a good diet Vitamin K2 may be even more important than a calcium supplement (although keep taking Vitamin D).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.