I am beyond happy and impressed

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just logged in to check my Dexa results as they now go online a few days after the scan. I had hoped to hold my own at the very least and not go backwards. I have been having vitamin K2, vitamin D3, magnesium sometimes, yoghurt every day and trying to include as many of the goodies in my diet that I could manage like leafy greens and bony broth.

Well. Here are the results bearing in mind I cannot manage much in the way of exercise and my husband is my carer.

The hips are especially impressive going from -1.8 to -1.1. The back which is much worse has not only not gotten worse but has improved overall by -2. New result is -3.4 from -3.6 two years ago.

I have not been on the regimen for the two years either. Maybe Anhaga might know if it is even a year?

I am back to the results from three years ago as I had worsened between 2015 to 2016 without addressing with K2 or anything else.

I am only guessing but I suspect that K2 is the important one.

And I repeat that I am very surprised and pleased!

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ah ok I have to be honest, a print out showed a different story.

There is more detail andI could not erase above to explain the proper results for this year.

I should be at least pleased that it has not worsened, but different parts of it show some change like L2 is improved by .6 and L3 by .1 but L4 looks worse which has affected the overall result. 

I will keep going with K2 etc and give it more time to make a bigger impact.

Also, my husband just stated he has little faith in the machines. His results would be the envy of any 30 year old.

• Posted

My husband also said that there are no variables. For example, he is nearly six feet which is nearly a foot taller than me and is much bigger boned. Mine are so tiny that a surgeon on looking at an X-ray of my knee stated, “your bones are really tiny!’ in amazement. Having broken no bones I have come to the conclusion that they are probably pretty strong as I have challenged them enough.

• Posted

I can never find the reference but I'm sure I've read that there are actually different standards for bone density in different countries as there are ethnic differences in size - compare an average slight subcontinent person with a strapping Scandinavian for example.  It must make coming up with a one size fits all standard for counties with a substantial ethnic mix, such as in Britain and the Americas, impossible.

• Posted

Yes they note your gender and ethnicity but that is still not sufficient. My husband is emphatic that it does not have enough variables. He believes the machine cannot possibly be accurate. His result is so good that he must be in his twenties but he is 76.
    • Posted

Hi, I think the FRAXA website is where you plug in your DEXA results and  by using a drop-down you select your nationality and it then calculates your chances of breaking a bone within 10 years.  Mine showed 'negligible' chance  

• Posted

FRAXA is about something called fragile X syndrome. 
    • Posted

I found FRAX app for my IPhone but it didn’t work. I couldn’t login or see where to register. It’s supposed to measure your 10 yr. risk for fracture based on your dexa scores and other physical & lifestyle characteristics. 

• Posted

Sometimes things don't seem to work properly on a phone or even a tablet but might be fine on a computer.

• Posted

Pretty impressive! I’d be pumped at that result too! Did I read that right..that you haven’t been on any medication and only the vitamins and healthy eating with not much excercise? I had my first Prolia injection last February (tscore -4) and am considering not having any more, but I don’t have another dexa for 2 years so will have no idea till then if it’s improving.
    • Posted

No, I have refused any of the drugs because I don’t feel they are much help and often the opposite. I don’t think I have been on K2 long enough to give it the best chance so will hope it is much better next time. 
  • Posted

That is wonderful news. I’m so happy for you personally AND it encourages me to continue the best natural regimen too.  It speaks to having some control over our condition that the medical professional would like you to believe is not possible. Congratulations 👏

• Posted

Thanks. I think some do know. I need to be doing this for a long time to see any real improvement. Even if I can stop it getting worse is good. 

People who have only osteopenia or just beginning osteoporosis tscores have more chance of improving their tscores.

We need to understand that people with tiny bones are not being differentiated from larger boned people. My husband pointed that out with the difference between us two. He does not actually trust the machines, his results are a bit too good to be true. 

• Posted

Hello Kathleen, my husband read your posts and commented that it is a big step in the right direction. With the help of some gentle impact exercise you may be able to improve this even further like he did. He can't apply for another test until around September next year but having kept on with the supplements and the exercise, he doesn't expect to see any regression. I suspect that the regimen will continue for the rest of his life since the cause has probably not gone away.

• Posted

Yes I try to do some exercise but cannot do what many are able to. I try to walk a little each day and I have some light weights. 

I think it is more achievable if your tscores are better than mine if I am even able to believe the results. 

I think if you have broken no bones if more of an indication than the tscores.

Hope you and your husband are well.

• Posted

Hi there, I am impressed with your progress. I am 62 and have spinal score of -3.4 and hip score of -1.8. So am in a dilemma as I am being urged to take medication  by my GP. What type of Vitamin K2 do you take and how much?
    • Posted

I am in Australia so it depends where you are. Mine is 160 which is plenty. It is just one small jelly like tablet and easy to swallow.

Have yoghurt as well daily. Even if it slows it down if you have had no broken bones is good. Magnesium is important too. Walking or other weight bearing is necessary as well. 

All the best.

• Posted

Correction 180 mcg after checking the packaging. I am in Australia and it states here that is the optimal amount which has the benefits which have no “may” in front but declares the benefits of aiming the calcium onto the bones and out of the arteries. Demand for K2 is high in Australia so I keep one packet ahead now so as not to run out. Add yoghurt to this which does not have to be at the same time but have each day,
    • Posted

That makes me feel more confident about my double dose here in Canada.  Two capsules = 200 mcg. No really definitive health claims, just that it "supports bone and vascular health".  I can't get it from my pharmacy, only available from stores that sell health products.  You'd think that would include pharmacies, wouldn't you?  I think you can now get calcium citrate from a pharmacy but when I started taking calcium back in my 40s you could only get calcium carbonate and had to go to the health food store for calcium citrate.  

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, I’m also in Australia, what brand do you take of the K2? Mine in only 90 mcg and I was only taking one. I have severe osteo and also on Prolia injections so taking all the supplements as well. 
    • Posted

Nature’s Way180 mcg. Don’t get the one with other stuff in it as the dose is too low. Just the K2 on its own.

You mean osteoporosis or osteoarthritis? I have both in the back and elsewhere.

Remind me what your tscores are please?

• Posted

Thanks Kathleen, I’m getting low so will replenish with Natures Way, rather than Caruso 90mcg! I have mild arthritis but severe osteoporosis, tscore -4 on the right hip and -3.6 in the left hip and back. That’s why the Prolia. Blood test showed a normal calcium level but it wasn’t going on the bones...damnit.  And having to be on prednisone for PMR/GCA just made my osteoporosis get a lot worse in a short time... 🙇???

• Posted

Ok Reecergan Lund’s good. Maybe watch how long you take the prolia for. Check tscores after a year to see if there is improvement.

Are you having yoghurt once a day? That is advised as well.

• Posted

Yes, doing the yogurt thing. Plus calcium, D3, K2, magnesium, fish oil, Tumeric, leafy greens etc etc...walking in a weighted vest when I can, trying to do everyth8ng right. I can’t have another dexa scan for  2 years..well..18 months now as it was done last November but I didn’t start Prolia till beginning of February. Rheumatologist originally said 3 years of Prolia...now after me questioning him about all the latest research he is saying life. I’ve only had the one injection so far so I’m going to question him some more at my next appointment next month, before I have the next shot. However with my t scores I’m between the Devil and the deep blue sea. Damned if I do and damned if I don’t. 
    • Posted

Yes but also if you have broken no bones it is a better indication I am starting to realise more and more. 
    • Posted

Hi 

How do you find the Prolia injections, I can't tolerate the alendronate and risedronate tablets so think that's my next option, but am very nervous of the side effects...

Thanks, and also I think I'll try the K2 - anyone in the UK recommend a supplier?

• Posted

Think I just replied to your new post on the other page .....let me know if that isn’t you. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.