I am beyond happy and impressed

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just logged in to check my Dexa results as they now go online a few days after the scan. I had hoped to hold my own at the very least and not go backwards. I have been having vitamin K2, vitamin D3, magnesium sometimes, yoghurt every day and trying to include as many of the goodies in my diet that I could manage like leafy greens and bony broth.

Well. Here are the results bearing in mind I cannot manage much in the way of exercise and my husband is my carer.

The hips are especially impressive going from -1.8 to -1.1. The back which is much worse has not only not gotten worse but has improved overall by -2. New result is -3.4 from -3.6 two years ago.

I have not been on the regimen for the two years either. Maybe Anhaga might know if it is even a year?

I am back to the results from three years ago as I had worsened between 2015 to 2016 without addressing with K2 or anything else.

I am only guessing but I suspect that K2 is the important one.

And I repeat that I am very surprised and pleased!

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yay!  Another person to have achieved what the doctors say is impossible!  Now to get you out of the osteoporosis range altogether.  My friend, my inspiration, did just that and she was the one who told me to research Vitamin K2, as well as a few other things.
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen65757

thank you for all your posts - so glad I found this site. I was diagnosed in April with osteo in both hips (-2.7).  Also L4 has -2.7. GP gave me prescription for Alendronate - once a week, on empty stomach, take standing up etc. 

?I haven't taken the tablets because of the side effects - long list even on the enclosed leaflet with the meds. Did start taking calcium and eating calcium rich foods. Wondering about K2...what dosage do you think is best?

?thank you so much...I've decided that I won't be taking the bisphosphanates...

• Posted

Take at least the dose which is recommended by the manufacturer of the K2 supplement.  Mine says one capsule a day, 100 mcg.  But I was taking 2 for a while.  Cut back to 1.  While I was on 2 sensitive teeth I've had for years improved.  After taking 1 for a while the sensitivity seemed to return.  I doubled my dose again, and after some months the teeth seem less sensitive again.  Could be a coincidence, or it could be that there are simply no sources of adequate K2 in my food so I really need this larger dose.  Not doing me any harm.  Only caution would be if you are on blood thinners for any reason, in which case you would need to be cautious if you are on warfarin type, although the newer ones do not interact with either of the K vitamins.  K2 can be taken in a smaller amount even when on warfarin, but check with doctor and/or pharmacist (and hope they've heard of K2, some haven't!

• Posted

That's fantastic Kathleen. My T scores were almost in the osteopenia range -2.85 .  I had 1 injection of Prolia and refused more. Since then I have been taking all the supplements and eating foods for bone health ..so hoping I don't get worse. As all our healthcare is private I am in no rush to get a DEXA scan 

• Posted

Hi, when you was at your worst did you have any fracture? I only have low bone density in L4 vertebrae which apparently is featured not sure yet. I am osteopenia

• Posted

No, Tamin, , i have not fractured. You should not have prolia especially when you only have osteopenia.

Just do the weight bearing exercises and have a really good diet getting all the nutrients. Take vitamin K2 as well as checking your calcium and magnesium and vitamin D levels in your blood tests.

All the best to you.

• Posted

Hi

I had a dexa scan a few weeks ago and have to wait 6 days to see my GP. I don't know how to go online and see my results, please could you tell me which site to go on and check my results thanks.

• Posted

Christine, I am in Australia. It is different here probably from where you are. I was handed my results and told how to look online. I don't have the scans any more as I won't take the meds. so what is the point.

I misread those results so I had not improved as I thought at first.

Go by whether you have broken any bones rather than any tscore results.

People have different bones so one general test is not really convincing. You may never have reached the optimum bone density for a start. How reliable are these scans?

Bones might be strong although thin.

I think a lot of people are panicking for nothing.

• Posted

Hi kathleen you are so right. I took only 1 injection of Prolia ...and decided not to go with it.

since my diagnosis I have had numerous nasty falls and nothing broken. I take supplements and run most mornings on treadmill for 30 mins at least (used to do weights but now severe joint , muscle, tendon pains prevent me doing this) so i think i must have thin but strong bones

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, good news on your results and looks like being mindful is really doing the trick! I've just posted a query but wondered if a direct post to you might help .... I'm just starting a vit k2 supplement in addition to calcium and vit d3, but find it gives me a slightly nauseous indigestion - unless that's a coincidence. I've since realised the type I've chosen has it's fermented stuff derived from chickpeas rather than soya. Could it be that? Or does it take some adjusting to? Just wondered on your thoughts....thanks, Marianne

• Posted

Marianne, I do not know where you are but I am in Australia and I like a particular brand here. Mine is a soft gel like cream coloured oval shape with a highly respected brand. Maybe check yours is the best you can get there. Like prescription drugs many are inferior either due to their mixing or coating. I have trouble with cheap substitutes in my medications too and avoid a certain brand in particular. We are not given information about how a product is produced and the only way to make a decision is to find the one that suits you. With K2 you should not need to get used to it so I would try another brand.

• Posted

Hello, I've newly been diagnosed as suffering from osteoporosis. can I ask if you've been prescribed medication or has your treatment purely been vitamin and diet based?

many thanks

Frances

• Posted

I hope Kathleen sees this, she probably, like me, checks in occasionally. It's a very old thread and the forum itself has become rather inactive the last couple of years. I spend more time at HealthUnlocked,the Bone Health community. However, in answer to your question, Kathleen, like me, was very against taking any OP medication. You can read my story if you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey. If you join the other forum my name there is HeronNS.

Osteoporosis is a frightening diagnosis but there are things we can do to help ourselves. One thing I didn't mention in my account, because at the time I didn't know about it, was the importance of being tested for secondary causes of osteoporosis - by which I think they mean anything other than ageing! These also can be found on line. I wish I was allowed to post links. The osteoporosis society in Canada has an excellent site. I think they call themselves Osteoporosis Canada now. The website is a bit hard to navigate but once you figure it out there is a section on secondary causes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.