Have you confused the prednisolone tablet dose?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi again

Following my post this morning, in which I mentioned my concerns about the difficulty distinguishing between a 5 mg and 1 mg tablet. I've received several replies that echo my worry.

It has been pointed out that there are other preds that are easier tell apart, but the ones that I had were almost identical.

Have you had the same experience? perhaps it's something we could change?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am very careful when dispensing my 5mg and 1mg tablets. It would be very easy to mix them up although the 5mg is bigger it is not hugely so. I can appreciate how easy it would be for people to end up taking the wrong dosage.
    • Posted

Hi Silver

Please see my replies to Anhaga & Darlene.

Might be worth checking with your pharmacy?

Regards

Jan

• Posted

No.  Where I live there is a significant difference in the size of the 5 and 1 mg tablets.
    • Posted

Thanks Anhaga

Today I collected another prescription, same Prednisolone, but different manufacturer. Great because these are much better, the 5 mg being twice the size of the 1 mg.

I'll enquire if my pharmacist can keep these in stock in future.

Problem hopefully solved.

Regards Jan

• Posted

Almost the same size in Kentucky, USA. I have to be very careful.
    • Posted

Hi Darlene

My problem tablets are made by a company called Genesis pharmaceuticals.

My new prescription collected today are totally different, the 5 mg twice the size of the 1 mg, so much easier to tell apart. These are made by Wockhardt.

I'm going to ask the pharmacist if he can keep me on these, I suspect it's a price driven problem, but surely that must be secondary when we could be in serious pain if we take the wrong dose?

Regards Jan

• Posted

I note that mine seem to be made by two different companies, 5 mg Teva-prednisone, which apparently is also available in a 50 mg size, and 1 mg Winpred, which is only available in 1 mg size and seems to be the generic name. I'd say the 5s are a good three times the volume of the 1s.
    • Posted

Yes, the same here in Vancouver, WA USA....almost the same size.

Walgreens puts the 1 mg in a smaller container than the 5 mg. tablet so I know the difference by the container.  I still have to be careful.

• Posted

Next time I go to the drugstore I'm going to congratulate them on their choice of generics!  (NS, Can)t  cool
  • Posted

Just to make it more interesting, here in Japan, 5mg is smaller then 1mg tablet. However, 5mg is pink and 1mg is white, so it is easy to tell them apart.
  • Posted

one wonders what the manufacturers do when they get mixed up.
    • Posted

Indeed, let's just hope their quality control systems are up to the job.
  • Posted

Whatever container you get your tablets in - get a waterproof felt tip pen and write the number on the outside. If it is a bottle then use a sticky label. 

Use a dosette box and dispense your pred tablets once a week when you can do it in peace and quiet and be sure which bottle is which. 

If you have difficulty tell the pharmacy who will possibly dispense the tablets in better labelled containers or put a label in big type. 

Unfortunately, I think it is very unlikely you could persuade a particular company to change - they would have to get a lot of new equipment! 

• Posted

Thank you Eileen

As you can read from the other replies seems like there are dozens of differing packaging, my problem ones are in blister packs, identical in size and number, even the box in which they come is the same pink!

But my new scrip is of different manufacturer, different colour outer packaging and completely differing size if tablets, ergo no problem.

Yes we can all dispence into suitable weekly pouches but that doesn't stop the worry of opening the little box and seeing in my case 6 identical tablets, how much easier to have a colour difference / shape /size

Jan

• Posted

I keep all mine in the original packing and write the number on the outside - and dispense one pack at a time so they don't get mixed up. 

In the UK it is unusual to get them always from the same manufacturer - but I think pred in the UK has a habit of always being small and white, whatever the dose!

• Posted

Hi Eileen, my doc prescribes me the gastro resstant pred, which are coloured, red 5mg grey 2.5 as yet not down to 1mg.

hope the Canada trip was enjoyable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.