Having hip op on Dec 4

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi - first time here!  Due to have hip real cement on Dec 4. Found some useful hints in this forum!  I guess it's different for everyone, but do you think, all bent well, I would be able to "work" in a shop 1 day a week after 5 weeks?  I put "work" because it's an antique shop and it's mostly just sitting by the counter. Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

? Real cement?  Replacement 😀
    • Posted

After 5 weeks it would probably be fine as long as you stand every so often and walk a few steps.

My job involved and still does, standing for a full shift and heavy lifting.

I wasn't going to go back for 3 months unless light duties were offered.

• Posted

Hi. Im in retail. . Stsnding....sitting...lifting serving. ..my surgeon won't clear me for 3 mnths
    • Posted

Im also coming up on the 3 month mark looking forward to returning to work . So ready but I think starting off with no more than 5 hr days will be wise at this point. There is no option at work to sit when needed. 
  • Posted

Your seat would need to be the correct height and you would need to walk a bit every hour or so. At 5 weeks the 90 degree rule will almost certainly still be in force and so you should not be bending down or lifting heavy things
    • Posted

Thanks, Maggie - sounds like I'll just have to see how things are at 5 weeks. I don't want to leave the shop completely, but it's not easy to get cover for my days
  • Posted

Hi Abby

Welcome to this great site.

I would think that if all goes well with your op and recovery - as it does for most of us - that this would be perfect. You will probably be more than ready to get out of the house and as you can sit down you shouldn't get too tired.

I returned to teaching just 3 days a week this week when I was 7 weeks post op and this has been fine even though I was on my feet nearly all day.

Best wishes

Carole

PS love the spell check - real cement for replacement - hee hee.

• Posted

Thanks, Carole - I'm impressed at your swift- ish return to teaching, even part time - that must be Secondary school? I'm retired from teaching. Yes, great forum / site x
  • Posted

I think everyone is different. I went back at 5 weeks but gradually as it was exhausting. 6 weeks would be a better guess but if you do all the exercises as advised you may be ok. However you do not want to feel pressure and so risk overdoing it which can set you back. Your body will tell you when you are ready (I work in a shop as well)

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Thanks Kate - such helpful info here, as you've all been there! I'm generally healthy and reasonably fit so hoping for s good recovery, but I'll obviously have to see how it goes x
  • Posted

dear  abby ...

I agree with all comments ... one day a week should be fine, I think .. will you be there by yourself on a busy Saturday though? the bending and lifting are still somewhat restricted but yeah, you'll find out what you can do by that time...and keep moving is important too ....

wow, would be a dream come true for me to have an antique shop ...

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee - it's a vintage / antiques shop - I have a unit there. I only work there one day a week - it's Monday and is usually pretty quiet, so fingers crossed
  • Posted

Abby

i went back to work after three weeks. I work in an office and I sit. My doctor just wanted me to get up and walk during the day and of course follow all precautions 😊😊

• Posted

Ooh three weeks! Great. It's obviously different for everyone, but I'm finding this forum v helpful!  Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.