Having my first colonoscopy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi there, if you are reading this, chances are you are having your first colonoscopy too like me. I have decided to stop reading everyones stories about their colonoscopy experiences and to write about mine, mainly to stop myself freaking out.  So hear goes, today I went to the hospital to collect my bowel prep, 'movi prep' pretty sure someone with a great sense of humour decided to call it that, good old bowel prep or perhaps 'bog hugger' might be more apt. Somehow I don't think a movie with the pop corn will ever be the same for me now. Anyway, spoke to a lovely nurse, who explained how to take the stuff, what I couldn't eat etc and about the procedure, and she didn't sugar coat it. So as I have to be at the hospital for 7.30am on Wednesday, I am allowed breakfast tomorrow before 9am. I can drink clear fluids all day. I have decided to stock up on energy drinks to take throughout the day, nurse said it was ok. I then start the movi prep between 5pm and 7pm, I have to mix a and b satchet in a litre of fluid and drink it, and drink 500ml of clear fluid after. Then I wait or maybe hug the loo, will let you know, loo permitting.  Then the leaflet says rest for 2 hours, not sure if their interpretation of rest is the same as mine lol. Anyhow between 9pm and 11pm I have to mix another two satchets in 1 litre of water along with 500ml clear fluid to wash it down. It then says at 11pm or when you stop going to the toilet you can go to bed. MMMh. Well the nurse said as she went through the leaflet with me, "you might find you actually don't stop going to the loo". She then asked me if I had any worries. I said I was worried that I might poop my pants on the way to the hospital, (sorry a bit graphic, but do we all not feel that way). She did say some people do do, and suggested I wear a sanitary pad or the like. I also said I was worried it would hurt, whilst she didn't say it would or wouldn't, she said it could be very uncomfortable and for a few days afterwards too, but it affects everyone differently and that things settle once you get back eating and using the toilet normally again.

I am going to drink plenty of water and have a light diet of toast and eggs for lunch and some plain white rice and chicken tonight as although I wasn't advised to it seems it is better to avoid foods with any fibre in them. Probably have egg and toast for breakfast in the morning, then I am going to keep really busy till 5pm 'D' (for diarrhoea) Day as I am calling it. 

I sincerely hope that I am sounding upbeat and chilled about this whole experience, that's my aim.  In reality I am scared senseless, (poo less!!! - hopefully I will be by 11pm tomorrow night ha ha).

Because like everyone else not only is there the worry of the procedure there is the worry of what might be found. 

Anyway I will try to update tomorrow as to how it is going - loo permitting.

Hope everyone is doing well, I am so glad I found this group forum to share experiences on.

Cally x

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cally - Sounds as though you know exactly what you are doing in preparaing well.  As you say, everyone's experience is different. I had no problem with the prep or going to the loo. It wasn't too bad at all. The procedure was very uncomfortable, but not unbearable, and two little polyps were removed, but no further treatment for 5 years. Look forward to hearing how you got on. 
    • Posted

Hi Lynne

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it, hope I am ok with the loo too, but I spend lots of time in the loo anyways so what will be will be.

Glad to hear that you are ok. Thanks again for sharing your experience with me.

Cally

• Posted

Hi Cally

I think that by now you will be undergoing the colonoscopy. Really hoping that all goes well and look forward to hearing your thoughts when you are ready.  I think you deserve those long awaited fish and chips and carrot cake.

Lynne

• Posted

Hi Lynne Yep I was, but now am home, not too, bad, hurt a bit when he started but everyone was lovely and it was interesting to watch. i am going to post full details lol in a bit when I have had a cupola, thanks for your thoughts, think I am gonna leave the fish till tomorrow though, n just have something light 

cally

• Posted

Glad to hear you are home, safe and sound. Now you need some tlc! Lynne
    • Posted

Glad to hear you're back and it went ok. Well done!  Look forward to reading your review.

mar

• Posted

Hi Carolyn- keep positive. The worst part for me was undoubtedly having to drink so much liquid!!!  It seemed relentless. Tips you may find helpful- drink the movi prep through a straw so you don't taste it, and have a good supply of moisturised toilet wipes to hand. The procedure can be uncomfortable, but in my experience not at all unbearable and after 20 minutes I was enjoying coffee and toast, with no ill effects subsequently. Best wishes for a good outcome. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan

Awww thats great thanks, sent my hubby to get me some straws, I thought i might freeze some lime flavoured water and suck on it whilst I drink the liquid. I appreciate your positive comments. Hope you are fine now.

Cally

• Posted

Hi Cally:

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll do well as you taken the time to think it all thru.

I'm curious, will you be sedated for the test or just pain mitigation?

Raffie.

• Posted

Hi Raffie

Yes definately going for the sedation, anything and everything they can give me. I already have since July varying degrees of pain and swelling in my lower colon area, so hope it doesn't make it worse. Hope they find at what is wrong with me, its been going on so long now.

Thanks Cally

• Posted

Hi cally,

First of all good luck! I'm so worried about the whole thing and have 2 months left 😡 Hope all goes well and please do let me know how your poo filled day goes 😝 Hope u get some sleep before and all goes well. Will be thinking about u! Why do we have to go through all this ? 😡😡😡😡 hopefully everything goes easily and won't be as sh*t (haha) as expected

• Posted

Hi Ella thanks for your post it made me smile.

Well so far apart from feeling hungry I have managed to keep really busy, doing stuff I needed to do and put off lol, cleaned the house too, so now I am bored, hungry and fed up lol, roll on five o'clock, not. Can't imagine taking three litres of liquid in four hours, I don't drink that much in a full day oh well. It's just one day and it will be over soon. Will keep you updated do hope I can sleep but if not I will make up for it tomorrow. Thought might have chip shop fish tomorrow if I am feeling up to it, will need some calorie!!!! Mmmm now I am thinking about fish. Think I will have another black coffee. Getting a few tummy pains as I find coffee now makes me poo a lot too. Thought it might start me of and get rid of some of my bowel contents before I start the movi haha,

Keep ya posted Cally

• Posted

Haha il prob end up doing the same thing unless I'm on the loo all day! Been thinking about u all day!! U sound in good spirits. Gluck for today and tomorrow. Please keep me posted
    • Posted

Hi Ella just started the drink, not horrid but not nice either, a bit like salty lemonade, its weird looks thin like water, but tastes thick!! really strange any how, I am having a lick of lemon ice pop with it and lime cordial, at least I don' t feel hungry anymore, feeling a bit sick tbh, but when I lick ice pop and sip lime juice not so bad. Don't think lemonade or lemon would be as good though with the nasty taste. Thought I'd just post on here whilst I can as I can' t really focus on anything else at the moment. Thanks for your thoughts

Cally

• Posted

Big big good luck. Don't worry about posting for now, just take care of yourself x
    • Posted

Thanks for the luck wishes, Yep 1 litre down another to go at 9pm ooh what fun. Went to the loo at 6 just gas though then whhilst I finished my last glass from that litre d started. I daren't leave the loo at the moment, apart from to stand when my bum has gone numb. Anyway I have shut the bathroom door as my hubby n lads are cooking their dinner. Funny I don't actually feel hungry now and I only had a boiled egg and thin slice of white at 8 am. I also found that keeping the straw in my mouth pushing it as far back as I could and avoiding my tastebuds and slurping the glass down was the best way to drink it. Feeling a bit cold now, quite upbeat though, as I don't feel ill like you do with a tummy bug and my hubby brought me a hot water bottle, and a warm pyjama top and some hot lime juice. Oh and bless he is sat outside the bathroom eating his dinner and telling me about his day at work.
    • Posted

thanks Ella, better keeping busy on my iPad, not feeling too bad at the moment, just staying on the loo ready for round two. For me I think the worry of being out of control and not knowing what is gonna happen is the worst thing x

• Posted

Hope u managed to get away from the loo for abit. Few hours to go and it will be over. Xxx
    • Posted

You're nearly there and know what to expect so the worst is over!! I finally finished at the loo about 1.00am so managed to get about 5 hours sleep befor leaving for the hospital at 7.00am, a journey of 45 mins. I was really worried that I would need the loo during the journey - to the extent that my husband bought a bucket and put it in the boot of the car - but in the event I was okay, just needed to be dropped off at the door of the hospital and made a stately walk to the loo. And that was more to do with thinking I needed to go the loo rather than an urgent loo. The nurse who admitted me was really nice and explained everything. She told me they weren't there to torture me and if at any time during the procedure I wanted them to stop I just had to tell them. So you are really still in control. As I said before there were a couple of seconds when it became uncomfortable when the camera was going round a corner but on a scale of 1 to 10, it didn't get beyond 5.  So keep positive. You'll soon be sending posts saying you don't know what all the fuss is about. 

The sickness and chills will stop soon and you will get some sleep, believe me. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi 20 mins away from the loo, lol, just before I started my last litre, anyway I have finished it all now, the last have jug full was the worst bit, but I let my hubby in the bathroom, he got me a lager glass n he had a lager n we pretended that we had a lovely meal and we were finishing it off with a drink. Lol, we so laughed, bless him 😀 Especially at the noises coming from my belly, weird is definitely the word for it. He says I look like I am dressed for the. cold weather. Got my slipper boots on, pj top, sweatshirt and my dressing gown plus a scarf. He's sat in jeans and a t shirt now lol. Any how back to being on my own with my iPad in the bathroom. Sounds like cluedo!!. That's all for now, will post again tomorrow night. 

X cally

• Posted

Hi Cally, I'm glad you got through the prep, it's too bad really is it?  The best of luck for tomorrow.  Try to get a good nights sleep.  Take care.

Mar

• Posted

Meant 'Isn't too bad'  lol
    • Posted

hi again Jan

yes I am worried I need the loo on the way, getting a taxi, it's not far about 20 mins and I am having it done on nhs in a private hospital, which is really lovely. Thanks for your words, I feel a lot better about it. Hope I do send posts like that, but I do have a lot of pain around my right lower bowel area, anyhow, I will remain upbeat and trust in my dr. Will post again tomorrow x cally

• Posted

You'll be fine tomorrow, don't worry. Looking forward to you telling me tomorrow that it was a walk in the park. I'll be thinking of you. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi mar lol, nah not too bad last 500 ml was worst but washed it down with loads of juice. Night night, will post tomorrow x cally
    • Posted

Hi Jan, prep wasn't too bad, I spent most of the night in the loo, I then got some sleep till 1am and woke for the loo and then slept again till 3am 😝 Then sleep till 5,20 am, lucky I woke went to loo and just passed water, last time was 6 am. Was a bit worried as was setting of to hospital at half six. But I was absolutely fine, everyone was super at the hospital, went to theatre at around 9.20 and was back in my room by about quarter past ten. The procedure itself was ok, not a walk in the park, but not horrendous either, I think the fear is worse than the actual thing. Anyway nurse had 2 goes at getting the cannula in, not sure what 2 drugs they gave me but I felt reasonably relaxed. It hurt to start with, not unbearable but not pleasant and I might of squealed a little, but then it was ok and I was fascinated and watched the whole thing it didnt't seem to take long, and the staff where happily chatting away, nurse at side of me kept asking if I was ok and reasuring me and saying I was doing well. After in recovery I felt cold so was given loads of blankets. I was then taken up to my room and given a drink of water and I slept on and off as bp etc was taken. About 11.30am I had my lunch, chicken sandwich and a lovely cup of tea. Got dressed had the cannula out and was discharged home. Just got to rest, not drive or drink etc, good excuse not to cook. I had some biopsies taken but they said everything looked OK. My advise to anyone having it, try not to stress, relax, probably worse bit is the drinking of the prep, some people have a split dose, mine followed on so it was a lot to drink in a short time but over quicker. Don't be scared by some of the posts you may read, or be complacent that it will be easy, everyone's experience is different and went into it with an open mind. Glad it is over though. Good luck everyone x

cally

• Posted

Glad to hear it wasn't that bad. And most of all to hear things look ok and it's over. Let us know with the results. Go and get some rest
    • Posted

Delighted you're back home safe and well. I think they are so experienced they are almost certain things are okay just by looking. I had a couple of biopsies taken too, but it really just for confirmation.  You can relax now. Best wishes. 

Jan

• Posted

Hiya Yep I had 5 biopsies taken, it was weird watching it, they just kind of snipped a bit lol n it bled a little then they moved on, then I got a report with the pictures of the areas they had taken the biopsies from. Glad it's over for now though. Just had a lovely cheesy omelette, even nicer when you haven't made it yourself, mmh way up on last night at this time lol. Think i might have a early night though feel quite tired, didn't  sleep much the last two nights. I don't have any really bad effects, tummy feels a bit tender, bum OK though lol, as I used wet wipes, didn't bother with barrier cream. All in all ok. See my consultant on 8th May. 

cheesygrin cally

• Posted

Yay! Great to read that you're home again and relaxing. I didn't feel very sleepy, in fact I was quite chirpy for a while. They told me that all was OK as soon as it was finished and I would have another one after 3 years. So, well done. Looking forward to your report. 🤗
    • Posted

Hi Ella Yep not too bad all in all, you will be fine when you have yours. If you wanna ask anything ask away. X cally
    • Posted

Tks cally. I prob will drive u up the wall closer to the date. I'm so worried as have had this pain for so long now and just want the results.... If only could miss out on the prep and actual colonoscopyHave a good nights sleep and hopefully u will be back to your normal self tomorrow
    • Posted

Really there is no need to worry. The prep is tiresome at worst and the procedure has, at worst,  4 or 5 seconds when it is uncomfortable - well that was my experience. During the few seconds when it is uncomfortable, a couple of puffs on gas and air, and it's over. Having gone through it I have absolutely no worries about having it done again. In all honesty, I'd rather have a colonoscopy than have a tooth filling at the dentists!! And I've been going to the dentists every 6 months fo the last 50 years and have lost count of the number of root fillings and crowns I've had!!

you will be absolutely fine. 

Jan

• Posted

Tks Jan I really hope so. The waiting is driving me insane but I can't do anything about it I guess but wait!
    • Posted

Hiya, I think I was more tired from the stress and worrying over its do went to bed around 11 woke up at five this morning for a wee lol, then slept till my hubbys alarm went of.. Feel great now, apart from my usual pain which isn't too bad at the moment. Doesn't look like the colonoscopy has revealed what the problem is. Anyway hopefully biopsies are ok, back to consultant 8 March.. Not sure if having a low fibre diet for a few days has made my pain improve, certainly made my tummy bloat go down, just got into a lovely pair of slim fit jeans I haven't been able to wear for a while. Yep there is an up side to spending a night I in the loo. anyhow I am gonna try keeping to a lowish fibre diet for a while. I am not back at work till Monday so am gonna chill today n then have a day out with a friend tomorrow, maybe a cheeky wine with lunch lol. 

I am not sure how to post as an update foR me,  I tried replying to myself but it didn't seem to work, so I am sort of posting as a reply to you John oops. Have a good day everyone.

cally

• Posted

hi Ella, I really don't mind if you want to ask anything, I would have loved to have had someone just to chat to personally that's been through it too, mainly why I shared my experience and was really grateful for everyone's reponses and encouragement thank you all!. We all know everyone's different and their experience will be different but some people like me prefer to be a bit prepared. yes i too have been in pain since July, it doesn't look like the colonoscopy has shown what is wrong, hopefully I will get an mri scan now, they seem reluctant to give one as they cost so much lol. My procure yesterday though at the private hosp on nhs would have cost £1200 not including consultation any way hopefully my biopsies come back clear, they seemed to think it was ok. Last night I had a light omelette meal, went to bed around and slept till around 5 😀 Woke for a wee and then slept agai till half six. Haven't had any extra pain, and just had a slice of white toast then I had a small normal (for me) bowel movement so all good there lol. Feel free to pm me on here if you want to Ella nearer the time, I really don't mind, keep positive and occupied,  yep the prep is the worst but it's only a few hours out of your day and then it over. 

X cally have a good day everyone, I don't know how to post updates on my original post lol so have posted as a reply 🤔

• Posted

Tks so much ... Even I like to be prepared so Tks for offering....😄

Is your pain all over or one sided? Im fed up of feeling this way.

In a way it's good colonoscopy didn't give a result meaning u have a healthy colon 😄 But frustrating at the same time. Drs have told me the one sided pain is ibs or could be adhesions from appendix op but since my dad had colon cancer surgeon thinks I should start screening anyway even though he felt all was in order. Arghhhhh I want to live some more years!!

• Posted

hi Ella, my pain is in my lower right, sort of where I had appendix out many years ago, its a kind of burning pain, varying in intensity, always there though, sometimes radiating down my leg and into my back kidney area, dr thought it might be appendix scaring related too, cons took a biopsy of that area, had pain since July when I ended up in A & E in agony, last few months hasnt been so bad, just always there and like you I get so fed up. I usually go for a poop too 3/4 times every morning very soft cowpat like consistancy, hope no one is eating their tea and if I have coffee any time of day, straight afterward the same. I have decided to stop eating much fibre, trying that, as I always eat loads of fibre as I understood it was good for me. I have found though since eating a low fibre diet for a couple of days before colonoscopy so I wouldn't poop so much welll I was told i wouldnt lol, I feel so much better, today, feel a bit sore inside, nothing major just like I had a tube up my bumeek, but my tummy bloat has almost gone, so I now have been to the supermarket and become a fibre less freak lol. it took me three times as long to get our shopping lol. I have decided to read the labels on the shopping and do it online (like I often do my shop, as it is much easier than in the shop), and I got tons of white rice like things, and chicken. Threw in a few bags of veggies for my hubby and plenty of steak and spuds (for chips) so he is happy, Will let you know if it works could be just a coincidence and due to losing all the poop. Sorry I keep saying the p word. I will miss my veggies though, I love green cabbage and cheesy jacket spuds. still I can always have cauliflower cheese and mash without skins. frown but if I feel better for it hey ho. Sorry about your dad, I am sure you will be ok though.

x Cally

• Posted

Try the Low Fodmap Diet. You might find it miraculous. 

Jan

• Posted

Wow u r the first person I know who has the same pain in right side near appendix scar which radiates to back and thigh. Sometimes I'm confused if it's my lower back or lower tum hurting. It's a constant ache not excruciating pain but sooooo annoying and worrying! And same I go to the loo 3/4 times a morning with the same type of mushy poo. Il try eat less fiber too and see if there is any improvement. I'm so down about it and worst is the worry. I want to enjoy life and be happy and bubbly like I was. This is getting me down sooooo much.

I'm so sorry ur going through similar stuff to me. I really wonder ifs scar tissue or just ibs. Just want to know so I can enjoy life instead of worrying

• Posted

Ooh gosh how strange is that, and I thought I was the only one who had the doctors stumped. They said it was rheumatoid arthritis given me swelling and referred pain when I was admitted in July, how I dunno I explained the pain and said I had no pains in my joints but I was discharged with this on my letter in agony and left til appointment in October had a couple of ultrasounds a as my doctor was not convinced and thought it was more likely a hernia. Well the rheumatologist looked at the swelling in disbelief and asked me how on earth did the consultant think it was referred pain and swelling what planet was he on. I said he was very off hand and very very rude to me, saying I should be glad it wasn't in my spine else I wouldn't be able to walk. I have made a record of everything he said on my laptop and kept a copy of his discharge letter to my doctor and discharged me in agony it was the rheumatologist who was the one that referred me to gastroentology, cos by now I was going to the loo 3 or 4 times in a morning and is was like a cow pat and so smelly sorry too much information. She said it needed investigating. In the meantime I am waiting for an appointment for the lining in my womb showed on internal ultrasound to investigate this swelling. This scan was 25th August I got a letter in October asking me to book an online appointment for investigations, I didn't for the 28th January but a week later I got a letter saying it was cancelled and that they would rearrange the appointment have heard nothing since. Once I get a correct diagnosis I am going to send a letter to this consultant wishing him a happy life and telling him the impact he has had on mine. I hope it will make him think before he speaks to another patient like he did me. It is hard to carry on when you are in pain but try n remain upbeat though hopefully they will eventually get to the bottom of what is wrong with us keep smiling 

callybiggrin

• Posted

I really do hope we find what is causing it I'm so fed up now. I've always gone to the loo quite often so mine didn't start lately. Gynae wise I went for my annual check up in December and he said all was fine. Wen I went to surgeon for this pain he said my uterus seems large but I have a retroverted uterus since having my kids and he didn't seem worried about it. I also had a stool test which came back negative too but he still suggested colonoscopy. I really hope it's just Ibs but obviously I'm super worried.

How weird they told u arthritis. That hasn't been mentioned to me. Let's hope it's nothing serious for both and we can relax and enjoy life. I feel I'm living and waiting for bad news 😭

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.