Having my first colonoscopy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi there, if you are reading this, chances are you are having your first colonoscopy too like me. I have decided to stop reading everyones stories about their colonoscopy experiences and to write about mine, mainly to stop myself freaking out.  So hear goes, today I went to the hospital to collect my bowel prep, 'movi prep' pretty sure someone with a great sense of humour decided to call it that, good old bowel prep or perhaps 'bog hugger' might be more apt. Somehow I don't think a movie with the pop corn will ever be the same for me now. Anyway, spoke to a lovely nurse, who explained how to take the stuff, what I couldn't eat etc and about the procedure, and she didn't sugar coat it. So as I have to be at the hospital for 7.30am on Wednesday, I am allowed breakfast tomorrow before 9am. I can drink clear fluids all day. I have decided to stock up on energy drinks to take throughout the day, nurse said it was ok. I then start the movi prep between 5pm and 7pm, I have to mix a and b satchet in a litre of fluid and drink it, and drink 500ml of clear fluid after. Then I wait or maybe hug the loo, will let you know, loo permitting.  Then the leaflet says rest for 2 hours, not sure if their interpretation of rest is the same as mine lol. Anyhow between 9pm and 11pm I have to mix another two satchets in 1 litre of water along with 500ml clear fluid to wash it down. It then says at 11pm or when you stop going to the toilet you can go to bed. MMMh. Well the nurse said as she went through the leaflet with me, "you might find you actually don't stop going to the loo". She then asked me if I had any worries. I said I was worried that I might poop my pants on the way to the hospital, (sorry a bit graphic, but do we all not feel that way). She did say some people do do, and suggested I wear a sanitary pad or the like. I also said I was worried it would hurt, whilst she didn't say it would or wouldn't, she said it could be very uncomfortable and for a few days afterwards too, but it affects everyone differently and that things settle once you get back eating and using the toilet normally again.

I am going to drink plenty of water and have a light diet of toast and eggs for lunch and some plain white rice and chicken tonight as although I wasn't advised to it seems it is better to avoid foods with any fibre in them. Probably have egg and toast for breakfast in the morning, then I am going to keep really busy till 5pm 'D' (for diarrhoea) Day as I am calling it. 

I sincerely hope that I am sounding upbeat and chilled about this whole experience, that's my aim.  In reality I am scared senseless, (poo less!!! - hopefully I will be by 11pm tomorrow night ha ha).

Because like everyone else not only is there the worry of the procedure there is the worry of what might be found. 

Anyway I will try to update tomorrow as to how it is going - loo permitting.

Hope everyone is doing well, I am so glad I found this group forum to share experiences on.

Cally x

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Carolyn. Mine was fine. Hope you can write again when it's all over. Best wishes. 
    • Posted

Hi John, thanks for your best wishes, can't wait till it's over though. Glad yours was fine.

Cally

• Posted

Hello again. I've just woken up down here in NZ and went straight to this site to see if there was any news! You are probably helping people who are at the same stage as you, with your 'running commentary,' (sorry!)  Must be getting very near now, so once again, very best of luck. Looking forward to your comments when it's all over, but have something nice to eat first! I bought an enormous carrot cake. And you probably will need a long rest too.  
    • Posted

Hi john, running is the word, though I am just sitting, on my last litre now, thank goodness. Writing for selfish reasons as it's keeping me occupied and everyone's experiences are different. Oh wow New Zealand, I am in the United Kingdom. Think I might have a fish shop fish n a few of my hubbys chip, tomorrow if I am ok, never get fish n chips far too many calories in em but gee I think I deserve it, or I might wait till Thursday to properly enjoy them, just have something light like an omelette tomorrow. Gosh I have so much wind lol, could give someone that has drunk ten pints a run for his money, well maybe, don't know many people that drink, everyone is on a health kit. So sorry for rambling everyone, only 600mls to go. Plus the 500mls of water or juice, gonna have some more hot lime juice when I leave the lol. Hope I am done by 6.15am as I need to leave for the hospital by then. Mmh carrot cake sounds scrummy might get some too. Have a good day John

cally

• Posted

Hope all goes well for you Cally. If you haven't already I would recommend using vaseline before it gets sore.  It worked for me.  Stay chilled and relaxed you will be okay.  Hope to hear from you.  I had both done today and have posted on another page on here, Colonoscopy without sedation, if you want to read it.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Mar

Great suggestion, will get some cream for my bum, lol, can't use vaseline as I am allergic to it. Don't think I could do it without sedation though, going to go read yours now thank you. Glad it went well for you.

Thank you for your good wishes

Cally

• Posted

Thanks cally, one more thing put cream on before you need to go and only dab not wipe when you do. I was only slightly sore nothing much.  Keep calm and trust the consultant.  I think some people have sedation and rely on it too much, just be prepared and relaxed.  Good luck hope it goes well :-)

mar

• Posted

hi Cally.

Yes it sounds like you have it down pat. I'm in Texas but my process was very similar. I could eat until midnight Saturday night, nothing but clear liquids Sunday. i took something here called Suprep which sounds like you. 2 bottles, mixed first with 16 ounces of water, then followed by 2 more 16 ounces at 5 PM. Then samething at 4 AM before my 10 AM appt. Other than going to the bathroom (loo) 20 times not too bad. The procedure was a breeze for me. Bunch of medical questions,

nurse put in IV with salene then wheeled to the back. I was out in 5

seconds and woke quickly with any side effects. Took 25 minutes I was

told and luckily clean so to speak so I get to go 10 years. Good Luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.