Head issues after lumbar puncture

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hello,

I am really hoping somewhere out there can help me. I had a lumbar puncture over 2 weeks ago and was in bed for almost 10 days with a horrible spinal headache. I could not sit up for more than 5 or so minutes at a time. I started to develop nerve symptoms in my head and they will not go away. I have pins and needles/stabbing type feelings that will happen in my head and face. The most concerning is that the entire back of my head feels numb, whether I am lying down or sitting up. I had a CT scan of the head and it came back normal. I talked to my neurologist about my concerns on the blood patch, because anytime I do something invasive, I come out with more issues. He agreed that I may need to hold off on that. I seriously don't know what to do. The major vertigo and spinal headache have gotten much better, but this overall numbness/pressure/pins and needles sensation that I have in my head is very strange and incredibly uncomfortable. Also-I do not have a history of headaches and the spinal pressure headache began about 30 minutes after the procedure and continued to get worse as time went ont. Please let me know if you've had a similar experiene. Thank you!

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am in agony! I went into hospital three weeks ago with vomiting and bad headaches they got so bad when I stood up and neck pain. They done a lumber puncture and tried three times to get fluid. When everything was clear they releaSed me though I still couldn't stand properly. Two weeks later I literally collapsed with pain in my neck and shoulders and the back of my head when I got to hospital they said it's a rare side effect from the lumber puncture and is basically built up pressure in my spinal cord. They've sent me home but days later it's getting bad again I cannot move my neck at all and getting the pains in the back of my head I have no idea how I could go back to work?
    • Posted

Hi Carla,

Have you been feeling better? I think I have that pressure after lumbar puncture as well.

• Edited

i know this is extremely old post , but i came here looking for hope i have the same exact symptoms after a spinal tap ! how long did it take for recovery?! i know this post is years old but hopefully you see this

• Posted

I've also had the pressure and the numbness it's awful have you been to the doctors?
    • Posted

Hello, thank you so much for responding! Yes, I have been to the doctors. I went to the ER after the first 2 days and was going to get a blood patch, but was worried because of the pain I am already. They gave me some medicine and said to come back if it continued or got worse. More than a week later I went to the ER again, but one closer to my home. They did nothing for me and I wish I would have went back to the original hospital. I then saw my neurologist a couple days later and explained my concerns about getting the blood patch. It's going on 2 1/2 weeks of this and the heaviness/numbness in my head is not going away. It almost feels like my brain is swollen. I don't really know how to explain it. That is almost constant. I can now sit for periods of time, but am getting more concerned. Have you seen a doctor since your ER visit? Are you having the neurological symptoms as well?
    • Posted

Hi that's what Ive been suffering the numbness and pain but I find laying down eases it but the past couple of days I've been getting pain in my neck and back. I've been back to the original hospital they've told told me when they do a lumber puncture it leaves a hole in your spinal cord and some people get a rare reaction of built up pressure but usually lasts 48hours a week later I'm still in pain. I'm going to to my gp tomorrow I tell him I can't cope with the pain. They have me codeine originally then yesterday the hospital told me that makes my head worse! I've been referred to a neurologist but heard nothing x
    • Posted

Hi there, did you end up finding anything out from your gp visit? I'm still having my same symptoms. My entire head is pressure with numbness and odd sensations. I hope we can help each other figure out how to get rid of this.
  • Posted

Hello everyone . I had a Spinal Tap 10 years ago and I still suffer from numbness on my brain and body , a swollen feeling and pin and needle experiences. I never knew where it came from but reading this gives me the idea that it was the spinal tap please let me know if you find a solution thanx
    • Posted

Sorry for such a late response. 10 years!! Wow, I'm going on 4 months and still having issues. Have you gotten anywhere in terms of your head issues? 
  • Posted

Hi please help! I'm going to through the same thing. I keep getting head rushes in business .I got a spinal tap a month ago. Are you selling any better? Have your symptoms subsided? Thank you

• Posted

Hello Tina-I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you. Please send me a private message if you are still having these symptoms and I will try to get back with you soon.
  • Posted

Yep, I have had the headaches after my LP that lasted for over seven days until I was able to sit up in a chair. However I still had pain in my head afterwards for a few days when standing and walking around that would be pounding in the back of my head.

So you said you have had a CT done on you and the docs said there seems to be nothing wrong that they can see? Might you be suffering from a bit of anxiety brought on from your extremely painful headaches and being confined to a bed for a considerable time? I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong, cause there is always a possibility that the docs missed something, but really think about it.

Try to relax and not worry about it too much, worrying about it can also cause you to believe you are having physical symptoms that aren't really there. 

• Posted

Hello

I had the same procedure done a week and a half ago for intense headaches. The headaches from the procedure were horrendous, I couldn't even stand up or turn my neck and was at the point of almost vomitting. I was bed ridden for a week and a half and had to take time off work. I thought the aches were never going to go away and was already going on 2 weeks with intense pain. Was considering a blood patch but did not want another needle in my spine. Let's just say it was a learning experience and never going through that again. Definitely staying well hydrated and rest sped up the healing process, my mother who had the same proceduretold me her pain lasted over a year.

Wishing you the best.

• Posted

I also had a spinal tap about a week ago, my head has a Major pressure in it I get whole body vertigo, & sometimes my body feels weak. I'm not entirely sure what is going on but would greatly appreciate if you found out the reason for your condition. Its especially scary because sometime my neck & head will feel so stiff I will think I'm going to have a seizure. This lumbar puncture has destroyed my life the last week. It's gotten so sever I can't drive without panicking or even shower for more than 3 minutes I'm so afraid I may collapse. Thank you for your post!

• Posted

I had a spinal tap 2 weeks ago. My dr suggested that I get I.V fluids and a caffeine drip to eliminate the headaches and neck pain. After the fluids my pain was gone. However 5 hours later they began to come back. Thankfully two days later the pain never came back to what it originally was. I don't know if it was the fluids or if it had finally run its course. I still have some slight pain but hopefully it will continue to go away.

• Posted

Hello Mike, I am so sorry you are going through this .How are you? Please feel free to write back or message me. 
    • Posted

i know it's been a long time now but did you get releife? I had a lumbar puncture 4 weeks ago. My neck and upper back still get stiff and sore when sitting. The headaches don't seem as bad now but the stiffness and pain in neck and shoulder area are bad. I never had this before the lumbar puncture.Just seeing if others got releife on these symptoms to.

• Posted

I had a lumbar puncture about a week ago and if I knew what I know right now I would never have given them my consent to do the lumbar puncture. I’ve been to the doctors 3x and one time in a&e. It seems my life was turned upside down after the lumbar puncture. I’ve constant and severe migraines, and every time I stand up or seat down I feel like I’m going to collapse. Doctors said to give it a few more days but this honestly making me feel depressed as I had to get time off work and I have children. I honestly don’t know what else I could possibly do to make myself feel better. I even had acupuncture, and deep tissue massage just to help me with the neck/back stiffness. 

• Posted

Hi,I had an lumbar puncture 1 week ago and I suffer terribly with headache and shoulder/ upper back pain,I've never heard of anyone having upper back pain after a lumbar puncture. I was wandering has the pain got better now?? I know it's been a while but I'm hoping for a reply.Ive had a worst headache ever after holding a sneeze!! That's why I had to have the lumbar puncture done 😖 Thank you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.