Head issues after lumbar puncture

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hello,

I am really hoping somewhere out there can help me. I had a lumbar puncture over 2 weeks ago and was in bed for almost 10 days with a horrible spinal headache. I could not sit up for more than 5 or so minutes at a time. I started to develop nerve symptoms in my head and they will not go away. I have pins and needles/stabbing type feelings that will happen in my head and face. The most concerning is that the entire back of my head feels numb, whether I am lying down or sitting up. I had a CT scan of the head and it came back normal. I talked to my neurologist about my concerns on the blood patch, because anytime I do something invasive, I come out with more issues. He agreed that I may need to hold off on that. I seriously don't know what to do. The major vertigo and spinal headache have gotten much better, but this overall numbness/pressure/pins and needles sensation that I have in my head is very strange and incredibly uncomfortable. Also-I do not have a history of headaches and the spinal pressure headache began about 30 minutes after the procedure and continued to get worse as time went ont. Please let me know if you've had a similar experiene. Thank you!

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just came across your post

Has it healed?? I've been suffering for 11 weeks after my c section and I'm scared I'm never going to heal

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I will be sending you a message. 

• Posted

Mine lasted around your time. Then I finally got some relief. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hello there, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I sent you a private message. Please feel free to write back and I will try to get back with you as soon as I can. 
    • Posted

Sorry for my double post, my first comment wasn't showing up before. 

• Posted

Hello trying to Google my symptoms I came through reading this I can relate to myself. I had a spinal tap on Thursday and 2 days later I can't get up my whole back and head hurts the majority of the pain is behind my neck like someone is pushing my shoulders down. All I do is lay down now. How long will this last. Please help.

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I sent a private message to your inbox on here. Please feel free to write me when you're able to.

• Posted

I had a lumbar puncture done 10 days ago. The first 7 days I was in agony with a spinal headache. Only got up to use the restroom, and even that was so bad at times I would fall to my knees in pain. I even needed help to eat meals sometimes it was so bad.  They attempted a blood patch on the 3rd day, but I received no relief from it. They said it failed. On the 7th day I finally started to feel less pain and more myself. The 8th-10th day I continued to improve enough to drive. However, today I have felt a pressure in my head and lower back. Not pain, but pressure, and the numbness, particularly in the back of my head, like pins and needles. I'm also very weak feeling. I tire easily.  My google search brought me to this forum. I'm so glad my pain has decreased, but this numbness?! I'm very uncomfortable. Any suggestions? Did you get any answers? 

• Posted

Good morning,

I’m writing you to find out if you had any relief from this. I had my lumbar puncture two days ago and I still have the tingling sensation on my face, neck that radiates to my head and legs

• Posted

Hello.  Yes, I have had relief from this. I felt like it would never end, but it took about two months for the tingling and numbness to go away for me. However, to this day sometimes riding on an airplane  will trigger tightness and tingling in my back, neck, and head... just a weird uncomfortable feeling. I had the procedure done in August 2017. Hope you heal fast! 
  • Posted

Hi, I had a LP in August and have not been myself since. Received 2 blood patches and a week in the hospital from it. I am thankfully not having headaches but weird numbness down my back and wrapping around my torso. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks! 
    • Posted

I have I’m tired of this. I’m 5 days out and pushed back the lp for weeks because i heard of the risks. I was already sick for 3 months and they talked me into it. I can’t live life like this there has to be a way to tell there’s a leak I’d take surgery at this point
    • Posted

Hello there, I am so sorry for the delay! How are you? Hope things have gotten better for you. Feel free to PM me and I'll get back as soon as I can. 

• Posted

Hi, Alex, I'm so sorry about the delay in responding. Please feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

• Posted

Please tell me you had relief from this. The doctors are trying to tell me it’s not normal and it’s in my head. It’s not in my head and I know what I am feeling. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.