Skip to content

Lumbar Puncture

Also known as Cerebrospinal Fluid Examination, CSF Examination

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • lumbar puncture procedure - headache still after 3 weeks

Hi I've seen a couple of posts regarding this and wanted to see if anyone had clear advice on what my next step would be. A summary of my story is; I had a lumbar puncture 3 weeks ago (nearly 4 now) to test for meningitis. It came back clear and my other symptoms have improved but since the procedure...

Last reply
  • Pain in muscles after lumbar puncture

I had a lumbar puncture just over two weeks ago. The first week after it, I couldn't walk. The second week, I can walk a wee bit but get severe muscle pain in legs, back, side, hip. This is calming down the more I rest though. Now I'm getting facial numbness when I walk. I'm unsure whether...

Last reply
  • Severe pain after lumbar puncture

In January i became ill. Sickness, mild headache, loss of sensation in right arm. Sensitive to light. I had ct scan, mri  same day they found a small fatty tumour in my brain neurosurgeon said this isnt causing the symptoms. Next day i had a lp done it was very painful and it took 7 attempts before...

Posted
  • really sick 4 days after lumbar puncture

its got increasingly bad i had a Lumbar Puncture Fluoroscopy on friday and it was no sweat but the pain and headaches started and then cold sweats and chills and vomiting, neck and back pain, sunday i went to hospital and they said it might be a csf leak. they sent me home with meds for nausea and...

Last reply
  • Lumbar puncture headaches

Hi all, Struggling with the normal headaches when standing after a lumbar puncture I had on Tuesday (4 days ago). I have done so much searching and reading on the Internet to know it is normal however want to question the advice my doctor gave me yesterday. Firstly, there was little advice really In...

Posted
  • Head issues after lumbar puncture

Hello, I am really hoping somewhere out there can help me. I had a lumbar puncture over 2 weeks ago and was in bed for almost 10 days with a horrible spinal headache. I could not sit up for more than 5 or so minutes at a time. I started to develop nerve symptoms in my head and they will not go away....

Last reply
  • Had an LP

I have a pseudotumor cerebri and my only treatment is to have an LP done every 2-3 months to relieve the pressure. I have been having them done regularly for 4 years now...I just had one done last Tuesday, so it’s been 8 days...a couple of days ago my back started itching and I realized I hadn’t taken...

Posted
  • Extreme Constant Back and Neck Pain After a Lumber Puncture

I had a Lumbar Puncture 2 months ago to rule out meningitis and it turned out to be negative. I was admitted to the hospital for extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, and headaches. I was diagnosed with migraines and the lumbar puncture was just one of the many tests that they ran. The procedure itself took...

Last reply
  • My 4 yr old and a bad lumbar puncture.

My son had a very high fever and headache with vomiting. The doctors saw how drastically he declined in the er. Decided on LP for meningitis. Fluid came back negative. We were told he would have some pain but nothing that some Tylenol wouldn’t help. They were concerned with post headache. Well we have...

Last reply
  • Very ill after lumber puncture

I had a lumber puncture done as an outpatient went in the morning all done within couple hours told to lay down half hour then sit up half hour the. Allowed home felt ok slept ok that night next day I collapsed continuous vomiting headache like I never had before thought my head was going to explode...

Last reply
  • Is anyone Still suffering months after lumber puncture?

Hi  I had an lp in August. Since then I have been suffering from migrane type headaches and associated nausea. It's left me unable to work. I was taking codine and amytriptalene. That didn't help. Now on pregabalin. This makes my head spin. So far all tests are clear. So it seems that all...

Last reply
  • post LP headache for 3 weeks now.how long did yours last ?

hi i had a LP done 3 weeks ago today to test for meningitis came back clear Lp was a bit difficult because they tried 3 times i had whats called a bloody tap anyways ive been having headaches ever since the LP like a pressure feeling in my head and also ringing in my ears.ive been back to the hospital...

Last reply
  • 3 and a half weeks post lumbar puncture

hello i had two thunderclap headaches 4 weeks ago and ended up sent to hospital to have a ct scan followed by a lumbar puncture. that evening my really bad headache started. for the next week and a half i couldnt even sit up to drink or eat my dinner as the pain was so bad. when lying completly flat...

Last reply
  • 9 Weeks post lumbar puncture

please see my previous post below. thought i would give an update. Hello everyone I am now 9 weeks post lumbar puncture and still not right. For the past few weeks i have been experiencing lots of head 'pains' as well as head 'aches'. as well as this i have this permanent 'drunk'...

Last reply
  • Blood patch/LP

So a week ago I had a Lumbar puncture done to test for meningitis which came back negative thankfully. But about 24 hours after that I developed what appeared to be a spinal headache, super intense pain when I would stand or sit(8 out of 10), but it would almost completely go away when I laid down. So...

Last reply
  • Lumbar Puncture ear ache.

Hello, Sorry for the long story in advance…. I have had massive pains in my left ear for 3 years. My neurologist who is at his wits end thought a lumbar puncture may relieve what could be a potentially low pressure headache. After the operation i felt fine but the next...

Last reply
  • CSF leak Headache post Puncture with Weakness

I was in the emergency room last Wednesday for what I thought was meningitis, got a lumbar puncture but with me being bigger they didn’t have a needle long enough so the doctor pushed down on the unit to withdraw fluid, hit a nerve to my left and right leg several time causing me to scream out in pain....

Posted
  • Ear pressure fullness

Hey everyone. I've been having this ear pressure fullness like I'm under water since end of march. I also had a csf leak from a spinal tap the same time. I had 2 blood patches to fix it. I had pressure in head n ears they said it must be sinuses the pressure from head went away but ears are...

Last reply
  • Headache after lumber puncture

Hi I had a lumber puncture 4 days ago but I'm really struggling with the headache that came after it..it seems to be getting worse the only thing that helps it is to lie down can anybody let me know how long this lasts for I feel physically sick and dizzy when I get up please any help is appreciated...

Last reply
  • Head pain

Hello guys! I had lumbar puncture yesterday and I’ve woke up this morning with such a bad head pain, I’ve found it is worse when I’m sat up, when I’m laid down it doesn’t hurt... is this normal?

Last reply
  • Lumbar puncture headache from hell

I had image guidance LP on Tuesday. Im suffering so much with my head. I thought it would go within 24 hours. Lying flat is the only relieve but as soon as i move my head im in agony. I feel sick and im just drinking copious amounts of fluid. What do i do?

Posted
  • Lumbar puncture - the most painful experience of my life!

Hi everyone I am new on here and thought it would be useful for me to gain advice from the experts! I have been undergoing tests for MS for the last two years following a loss of feeling in my right hand side (my thigh and my right arm mainly) which then went on to be tingling and numbness or tiny...

Last reply
  • Lumbar puncture as a child

Hi. Back when I was an 8 year old child, I had several lumbar punctures because I had spinal meningitis. I have never forgotten the pain nor my own screams. Now it’s over 60 years later and I have terrible disc ptoblems  

Posted
  • Post Lumbar puncture pain

Hello community. So I received a lumbar puncture almost 2 years ago and I still have pain around my spine in the precise area where the needle pierced me. The pain has been there continuously ever since the procedure. It feels like a dull tinge right on my spine, always limiting my movement and flexibility....

Posted
  • Suspected Meningitis

I was in a RTA 9 yrs ago and now in a wheelchair due to loss of use and feeling in my left leg, I also have lower spinal problems. I was rushed into hospital 2 weeks ago with suspected meningitis. I had to have a lumbar puncture, luckily I did not have meningitis but the experience of having the LP was...

Posted
  • Very tired and very much pain 3 1/2 weeks of L.P

Hi I'm 3 1/2 weeks post L.P. I was doing ok after 2 weeks , but this past week and a half I've had so much pain in my spine and so so very tired (almost slept for 24hrs) I had a L.P because I have three brain Anyusumes and past out, they thought I had a brain bleed they couldn't see, so...

Last reply
  • Blood patch after effects

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has been through something similar, I had a failed epidural in Sep 2015,they spiked my spine 5times which lead to a dual tap, I had a blood patch which didn't work, they then gave me another blood patch after about a 5days and it eased the headache but didn't fully...

Last reply
  • Spinal tap experience

For a year now I have had pressure on my head, blurry vision and dizziness .I had a MRI and cat scan done and found nothing. My neurologist wanted to do a spinal tab to check the pressure in my head. I was hesitant at first but after a month and some research I decided to go ahead as I had the symptoms...

Last reply
  • Severe Tingling in Legs and arms after Lumbar. I'm really worried.

Hello. I had a LP 7 days ago to rule out meningitis. Results were negative. When I came home my back ached a little but I was fine.... But then the tingling and severe headaches started. I get comfort from the headaches when I lay down. I am aware of the Lumber Headache and I'll be Got Damn if this...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.