Skip to content
Ad

Lumbar Puncture

Also known as Cerebrospinal Fluid Examination, CSF Examination

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Is anyone Still suffering months after lumber puncture?

Hi  I had an lp in August. Since then I have been suffering from migrane type headaches and associated nausea. It's left me unable to work. I was taking codine and amytriptalene. That didn't help. Now on pregabalin. This makes my head spin. So far all tests are clear. So it seems that all...

Last reply
  • Blood patch after effects

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has been through something similar, I had a failed epidural in Sep 2015,they spiked my spine 5times which lead to a dual tap, I had a blood patch which didn't work, they then gave me another blood patch after about a 5days and it eased the headache but didn't fully...

Last reply
  • post LP headache for 3 weeks now.how long did yours last ?

hi i had a LP done 3 weeks ago today to test for meningitis came back clear Lp was a bit difficult because they tried 3 times i had whats called a bloody tap anyways ive been having headaches ever since the LP like a pressure feeling in my head and also ringing in my ears.ive been back to the hospital...

Last reply
  • Head issues after lumbar puncture

Hello, I am really hoping somewhere out there can help me. I had a lumbar puncture over 2 weeks ago and was in bed for almost 10 days with a horrible spinal headache. I could not sit up for more than 5 or so minutes at a time. I started to develop nerve symptoms in my head and they will not go away....

Last reply
  • Spinal tap experience

For a year now I have had pressure on my head, blurry vision and dizziness .I had a MRI and cat scan done and found nothing. My neurologist wanted to do a spinal tab to check the pressure in my head. I was hesitant at first but after a month and some research I decided to go ahead as I had the symptoms...

Last reply
  • Severe Tingling in Legs and arms after Lumbar. I'm really worried.

Hello. I had a LP 7 days ago to rule out meningitis. Results were negative. When I came home my back ached a little but I was fine.... But then the tingling and severe headaches started. I get comfort from the headaches when I lay down. I am aware of the Lumber Headache and I'll be Got Damn if this...

Last reply
  • Lumbar puncture - the most painful experience of my life!

Hi everyone I am new on here and thought it would be useful for me to gain advice from the experts! I have been undergoing tests for MS for the last two years following a loss of feeling in my right hand side (my thigh and my right arm mainly) which then went on to be tingling and numbness or tiny...

Last reply
  • lumbar puncture procedure - headache still after 3 weeks

Hi I've seen a couple of posts regarding this and wanted to see if anyone had clear advice on what my next step would be. A summary of my story is; I had a lumbar puncture 3 weeks ago (nearly 4 now) to test for meningitis. It came back clear and my other symptoms have improved but since the procedure...

Last reply
  • Life after spinal tap

I've been experiencing horrible side effects after this procedure. I got a spinal tap done a week ago and the way I'm feeling leaves me feeling afraid. I have severe headaches, dizziness, nauseous, and now this numb tingling feeling and feeling very hot. Does anyone else share these symptoms?...

Last reply
  • 9 Weeks post lumbar puncture

please see my previous post below. thought i would give an update. Hello everyone I am now 9 weeks post lumbar puncture and still not right. For the past few weeks i have been experiencing lots of head 'pains' as well as head 'aches'. as well as this i have this permanent 'drunk'...

Last reply
  • Low pressure headache

Hi All I've been reading the chains looks for answers, I went in to hospital 5 weeks ago with awful stabbing pains and neck (left side). They tried one lp with success (to rule out meningitis). Later got it LB surgical done but they could only get about 4 drops of spinal flid, instantly saying...

Last reply
  • Lumbar Puncture Headaches

I was admitted to my local hospital late night last Tuesday then got the lumbar puncture the following Wednesday. I was advised to lay flat for 4 hours but was then discharged  only 2 hours after the procedure. Since I have had constant head-splitting migraines, vomiting when I try to stand...

Last reply
  • Lumbar puncture, huge side effects, don't know how I'm alive

On 19th June 2017 I had a knee arthroscopy to remove my lateral meniscus. The surgeon did a great job and I my leg recovered magically. I was on my feet after 20 hours post-surgery, no pain, nothing. Now comes the story: I was given spinal anesthesia. The 3rd puncture was successful. After the anesthesia...

Last reply
  • Anyone ...blood patch to have or not to have ..help please

9/1/17 I had my son by c section I got a spinal headache me was admitted to hospital 12/1 I refused the blood patch h due to risks, was told it'll clear itself in 5/7 days which it did but I've been left with horrendous dizziness I've had ct and MRI scans and all normal But the dr advised...

Last reply
  • Pls help, its been 3 weeks already

Post from today nov 9th My situation was the same after even 6 days. I decided to go to ER after 6 days and explained doctor the situation. They gave me painnkilles and nausea meds . Neuros came and advised me to wait for one more week. They told me to come back if it doesn't get better in another...

Last reply
  • Is nerve damage a possible complication of lumbar puncture?

I had a lumbar puncture 7 weeks ago to diagnose viral meningitis. The initial LP went really badly; a student doctor was being shown how to do it, and after several failed attempts to draw CSF, with the needle being poked around my back a lot, they gave up and done it under X-ray (fluoroscopy) instead....

Last reply
  • 3 and a half weeks post lumbar puncture

hello i had two thunderclap headaches 4 weeks ago and ended up sent to hospital to have a ct scan followed by a lumbar puncture. that evening my really bad headache started. for the next week and a half i couldnt even sit up to drink or eat my dinner as the pain was so bad. when lying completly flat...

Last reply
  • Ear pressure fullness

Hey everyone. I've been having this ear pressure fullness like I'm under water since end of march. I also had a csf leak from a spinal tap the same time. I had 2 blood patches to fix it. I had pressure in head n ears they said it must be sinuses the pressure from head went away but ears are...

Posted
  • Worse after PRP lumbar spine

My name is Meredith. I just had PRP in my lumbar spine in 2-8-17, 2 weeks ago, and I feel worse than prior to the procedure. I had 2 discs injected with PRP (L5-S1) . My back history is DDD , 2 bulging discs, 1 herniated, sciatica, facet joint hypertrophy, annular tears in L5-S1 with fluid loss, arthritis...

Last reply
  • Still in so much pain months after lumbar puncture

I had an lp done back April to test for a pseudo brain tumor. The nurse said it would only take 20 minutes, but it took an hour and a half. They gave me a shot on my left side, but I felt them digging into my right side - deeper and deeper. I've had intense pain in my lower right back since the...

Posted
  • Lumber puncer results please help me understand.

hi i got a L.P. to check for meningitis my results came back like this. polymorphs: 0, lymphocytes: 0, eyrthrocytes 10 and mononuclears: 0. the hospital said these are good results but when i checked them when leaving i was like what's eyrthrocytes and why are mine 10 ? do these results 100% rule...

Posted
  • I am starting to get depressed:(

Hi I'm 25yo mother of three beautiful boys 7,2 years old and a 4 month old... Well I went to the ER yesterday because of a sudden head pressure that was not going away they did all kind of labs, CT Scan everything came back normal so he decided to make a LP which came back clear also.... They discharge...

Last reply
  • Lumbar puncture

I had 2 this one is giving me Problems the other made me be in a fetal position with the smallest needle this one they out me on my stomach 1 leg up and put up the table for the liquid to come out I regret it oh and he was a substitute. Ok so I've been drinking alot of water alot Vitamin C...

Posted
  • Back bruised

I had several attempted lumbar punctures 7 month ago, finally under xray it was successful but I still have bruising on my back. Is this normal??

Posted
  • Does any one recommend Lumbar puncture

Hello I have been recommended to have a lumbar puncture due to swollen optic nerve headaches and blury vision. I fear the side effects will leave me worse than I am at the moment My headaches are annoying but I can still get on with life .... I'm being prety much pushed into doing this quick with...

Posted
  • Epidural Puncture Headache

I had an epidural placed for labor on 10/27, it was not successful and was replaced about an hour later, he told me immediately he had done a "wet tap" and I would most likely experience a "headache" (yeah right, so much more) It started around 2-3 days after birth, I had a blood...

Last reply
  • Spinal headache after spinal tap

Friday morning i got a spinal tap checking for ms. Saturday morning started of the spinal headache by 4pm it was really bad only relief was to lie flat.. went to er spoke to anesthesiaologist he said i should try therapy at home by drinking fluida, caffine, n motrin around the clock.. I woke up today...

Last reply
  • 2nd blood patch?

i had a CT myleogram 5 days ago.  Headache and vomiting day of.   Did blood patch on day 3.   But still in bed.   Pain not awful like some but clearly issue when I walk around.   Anyone do a 2nd blood patch with success?  The doctors won't do it.   Curious if I...

Posted
  • Reassurance re recovery from lumbar puncture

hi there all.  I've read with interest your takes on LP recovery time.  I had 3 LP's over 4 days - all unsuccessful. The 3rd was done via CT guidance - it resulted in a contaminated spinal fluid specimen because a blood vessel was nicked & so there was blood in my spinal fluid from...

Last reply
  • Lumbare puncture after effect

I had a lumbar puncture the monday just gone and since then I've not been able to walk, had severe headaches to the point where I ended up back in hospital over night, I have terrible neck and back pain to go with it all. This is my first Lumbar puncture, it's my 2nd successful one. They did...

Last reply
  • Lp side effects

I have had bad headaches for over 2 years were my doc won't let me drive or work, I passed out at work one day, and I get very dizzy...I had a lp done last week which is my 2nd one in the past 6 months. The first one was awful were in had to go back after 3 weeks and get a blood patch..now this...

Posted
  • Lumbar puncture

I had a lp done now I have this radiating heat kinda throbbing pain that goes down to my toes. My foot feels kinda lifeless and it gets to where I feel like it is on fire. I have these muscle spasms that will not stop and I have this faint dull like pain in the lower back of my head where my spine...

Last reply
  • Severe back pain after an LP 3 and half weeks ago

So about 3 and a half weeks ago I had an LP done due to severe migraines and unexplained neuropathy. Now I have been in extreme pain from the middle of my back all the way down to where it even locks up sometimes. The pain will also make me feel dizzy and weak throughout my body. Can someone please...

Last reply
  • 7 months post lumbar back pain!?

Went into hospital with serious headache had 2 lumbar punctures. 1 was really bad he was hitting things in my back making my body spasm. Gave amitryptaline(crap, do more bad then good) Had bad back pain since bending and picking things up is a struggle. mri of back was clear. As anyone experienced this...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.