Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) ruined my life! Someone please tell me it gets better!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I just had a lumbar puncture done on Friday and I am freaking out. I have very high anxiety and it is getting the best of me. For the first three days I could not sit up without extreme headache and extreme pain in my neck I would have to lay back down for it to go away. That pain has gone away but now I am very dizzy, lightheaded, I am nauseous and I have a continuous mild headache. I also have light ringing in my ears. and blurry vision. It has been six days now and I feel like I am going crazy because I feel like I will never go back to normal. I am laying in bed all day and it feels debilitating. I do not want to do a blood patch because I am so against anybody going into my back again after all these symptoms from the initial lumbar puncture. How long did it take you to get back to normal and be functionable? I have a three year old and it is killing me that I cannot do my normal activities with him anymore. It’s so heartbreaking . Somebody please give me good news that this does get better!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hang in there. it's been 8 weeks for me. it gets slightly better every week. the improvements aren't linear but little by little every week it gets better. I got the initial headache immediately but then 5 days later I got like a sinus type headache. thinking positively and controlling anxiety helps. it's easier said then done but hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.