post lumbar puncture headache recovery - any assurances would be great

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi my name is Steph. I'm 34 years old. I had to have a Lumbar Puncture about a week ago as part of tests because I was getting debilitating headaches that wouldn't ease up and wouldn't respond to pain killers. All tests, 2 CT's, MRI and the Lumbar Puncture have come back negative and now about 3 days post LP, I have developed the low pressure headaches which have taken over the severity of my original headaches. I have since followed up with a neurologist who has left me feeling hopeless. She doesn't know why I'm having headaches ( the original ones) and has suspended me off medication because I can't tolerate it. I thought the low pressure headaches were mildly improving but then I've just been hit by another one this afternoon. My ears also feel very full. is this a sign the pressure is trying to equalise? has anyone had a similar experience, does it get better?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph

I am now suffering in a similar way, did things get better for you?

Advice/ tips welcome!

• Posted

I had responded to another post, but your lumbar puncture is exactly what I had for a myelogram procedure, I have had three.

At first they diagnosed it as a CSF leak and injected my own blood drawn from my arm into the spinal canal twice to plug it up. They then felt it might be arachnoiditis and finally told me it was chemical menengitis (sp), where the dye went to the pia gland of the brain and irritated the mengies (sp) The symptoms continued for five+ years, and finally subsided, it was a nightmare

Good luck, really sorry to hear you are going through this. The dye used to be oil based causing arachnoiditis in some people. The new dye can affect the menjies of the brain if they release you from the hospital or wherever too soon and you lay down flat. I had Omnipac made by GE

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.