Post lumbar Puncture - still in pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 30 year old female. I recently had a spinal tap last Thursday (today is Wednesday). I went to emergency for sever headache and facial numbness. They did a head CT scan and the LP which both came back good. I went back to emergency on Sunday because i was unable to move from my bed, couldn't lift my head or stand. They put an IV and gave me medication and caffeine. i then went back on Wednesday because I wasnt feelimg any better and started experiencing ear issues (my voice sounds robotic) and wanted a blood patch. The anesthesia department came down for a consult and told me that blood patches are given to people who cant even move their necks, and i appeared to be on the path for healing.

My question is, after 6 days is it normal to still feel the pressure headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, one right sciatica feels like a mess, and tingling/ discomfort at the puncture site. Has anyone had this for this much time? Or is this normal? I am also still feeling head discomfort mainly around my eyes and cheeks (possibly from the migraines?)

Thanks for any help you have!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

I have had an LP every 3 months for over 5 years now and yes, it can definitely linger like this. I have had some horrific times and others that went very well. I can tell you that the last thing you want is a blood patch...my neurologist put me on Valium for times like you're describing but it will get better with time...your fluid will build back up and it will be better, just give it a little time and try to lay down as much as you can. I hope this helps you...good luck!

• Posted

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm glad they denied the blood patch then. This post LP feels worst than the headaches I originally went in for. thanks again

• Posted

I know it feels worse and I'm sorry you're dealing with it. I hope it eases for you soon...it should since it's going on the second week now.

• Posted

Hi, one more question if you don't mind. How did your eyes feel in the morning? I'm finding it hard to physically open my eyes (they feel heavy and not just from being tired). Getting up out of bed quickly is a challenge and I tend to lose my balance but only first thing in the morning. my ear ringing hasn't stopped either it feels like my head is vibrating all day! thanks

• Posted

Yeah, all of that is normal unfortunately. I'm a little unsteady all the time though to the point I have had several falls but you have to remember I have them All the time. The ear ringing is horrible...I sleep with my tv on and I always have noise to drown out the ringing. You could try that...

• Posted

I'm so sorry for how often you have to have these. Thanks for the information again. This is my first ever procedure for anything medical so im freaking out. I feel like every symptom warrants a hospital visit haha my eye and leg are really bothersome today.

• Posted

I'm glad to help. I hate the leg pain, I def have that all the time. I'm sorry this has been so hard on you...i'm praying you heal and feel better very soon.

• Posted

im sorry you are feeling like that! its not fun at all!! after my spinal tap i was super sick for about 2 weeks! and i had 2 blood patches in that time frame. honestly your body just needs time for that hole to heal and to stop leaking fluid. rest will be your best friend. i even thought i was better after the first week and had a good couple of days then the sickness came back. after the second blood patch each day i got better but it just took time . take care and good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hate hearing that others go through this as well but its also reassuring in a way. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi, one more question if you don't mind. How did your eyes feel in the morning? I'm finding it hard to physically open my eyes (they feel heavy and not just from being tired). Getting up out of bed quickly is a challenge and I tend to lose my balance but only first thing in the morning. my ear ringing hasn't stopped either it feels like my head is vibrating all day! thanks

• Posted

i dont remember that specifically happening i just remember i couldnt get out of bed without needing to throw up or pass out. then it was bad even when i laid down i had the feeling of throwing up

• Posted

thanks for the reply! Sucks that this happened to you and is happening to most people with post LP. I just wish the doctor would have warned me or even mentioned the headache part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.