Hello

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi I had my TKR 17 days ago the staples came out 5days ago and I could to over the dressing yesterday, but last night was the most uncomfortable my knee has been since the op, which surprised me a bit as I I had been doing quite well, the knee bend is painfull 5 days ago it was 80 so I'm trying desperately to improve that, also 5 day ago I couldn't lift my leg it felt like I had a ton of bricks strapped to it, but now I'm lifting that really well, what cream is everyone using on their scar please and how soon do you start using it, looking forward toreplies

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, well done for getting this far and for finding this great forum!

i think a lot of people me included use bio oil on the new knee it really helps to keep it supple and also helps the scar.

i hope that you have been warned about the long recovery from this op and wish you all the very best! This forum is brilliant and if you get to the point of utter frustration just come on here and there will be some one to help you get through that phrase!

good luck! Btw I have had both knees replaced and this forum been a God send!

• Posted

Thanks Lin I shall pop out and get some bio oil, thanks for the welcome and good wishes 😀
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

Looks like you're doing really well.

Be careful not to over do it.

And you WILL have good and bad days. Don't panic.

I reached about 105° bend, went to PT class and could oblyvreah 90+. Worked hard again was at 100+ at end of last week. Happy. Them was on my feet (and crutches) quite a bit on Saturday and Sunday, plus pushed myself hard at exercises.

This morning only getting about 90+ again.

Haven't use any creams yet, but if I need to will probly use Aloe Vera I got in the Canaries.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan, talk about overdoing it! I'm not sleeping well and when xi do the pain wakes me so I'm quite fragile and tearful right now. I was at physio today in a Beacon and found it very painful xi ended up in tears. The physiotherapist said the pain would be worse with no sleep. She sent me over to a ortho nurse who said I was overdoing it and to take Solpadol 4 times a day and exercises only 3 times a day. So just keeping you informed that you and everybody else don't overdo it, it's a hard recovery but if we do it right it will be worth it in the end. Nuala
    • Posted

Hi Nuala,

Sorry to hear that. 

Can you take anything to get some sleep. the best sleep I've had was 3 hours and then 3.5 hours. That day I took meds on schedule and iced about 7 times, included I also iced twice in the hour before I went to bed.

Sleep makes a huge differnce in every way. I take one Oxynorm, 2 tylex and 1 Keral going to bed to try help sleep. Last night it didnt work, I was awake most of the night. 'Panadol night' is great to help sleep, PRIOR to my op, I might take one if I needed it and would always sleep well. The dose is two, but one is enough. IF your doctor or pharmacist says this is OK, then maybe try one, or half of one. 

Getting the balance right is really difficult. 

I am 6 weeks since op, if I don't take the meds and try exercise I am in too much pain. If I take the meds I can do the exercises, but feel really drowsy/dopey afterwards. The swelling goes up and down big time too, and in parallel to the swelling is the bend ability (flexion) I alternate between 90+ and approximately 105 degrees. a bit frustrating also. 

Just make sure you have a good rest today and this evening and go again in the morning. 

Were you pushed too hard at Physio? 

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Al. I had a cat nap. . The nurse phoned me to say she ran everything by Mr, Neligan and he was ok with that but if no improvement to see hi next Tues. ?? So fingers crossed for better sleep and better pain control. I dare'not try other meds and go with as instructed.. I don't know how you function on such little sleep though, you must be a tough cookie. I wasn't pushed at physio I overdid it at the weekend up and about trying to be superwoman and it hurt this morning on bike really bad.. The bend was-100 today ( now that's not my age). Up from 95 last week so improving, Hope we all have a good night's sleep (would love a glass of wine will have to wait). Take care

Nuala

• Posted

Hi Debbie I had my op 13th May and been surprised by the progress in so much as its back wards and forward, I'm thinking the bruising, and cutting mend and recover at different rates and as they recover they pick up more sensitivity before settling down.  Some days I mainly rest, still doing my exercises regularly every 3 hrs and have maintained movement not always as easy and full every time. I am kind to myself massaging leg gently with cream each time. I have not been brave enough to put anything directly on my scar. So my leg swells and goes down with cold compresses and elevation. The pain changes as things improve and become more sensitive and then settle down.  On the whole I am very happy with my progress and looking forward to seeing physiotherapist and hearing what they have to say, good luck with it all.  BTW I use a Pilates rubber band to aid the pull back knee bend exercise and my ligaments and muscles feel like over stretched elevation bands 😂 but I found this helped a lot with the bend.  Good luck with it all cheers Su
    • Posted

Thank you ! Will try the band . What exercises are you doing ? The doctor gave me just two , raising leg and pulling knee back with other leg to stretch it back . What is the purpose of the lotion?

• Posted

hi Suki I also had my op the same day as youFriday, 13 May I went to my first physio last week I didn't do a lot it was mainly talking, going again on Wednesday to the knee club at the hospital,  I want to physiotherapy for over 4 1/2 months before I had the operation so hopefully that's put me in good stead ,  every day it feels a bit easier so I'm sure we'll get there I'm so looking forward to being pain-free good luck with your physio therapy and do let me know how you're getting on
    • Posted

Hello Debbie nice to check in with you, I am v up and down, I did have my daughter and her two youngest living here with me until the weekend, all the busyness and entertainment is sadly missed now....I can do quite a lot but have to be careful as overdoing it leads to swelling and that makes exercising difficult etc.  I am looking forward to the Physio just for the encouragement.  I am (a v young😜) 65 years with other Osteo affected joints, the other knee one! plus a RA diagnosis although I have not taken meds for this for so long, I wonder sometimes. It is nice to have a site like this, it encourages and informs in ways no health worker can.  good luck with your journey be in touch again soon Cheers 
  • Posted

Hi Debbie!

Niece it or not, you are doing GREAT!😃 I know that sounds strange, but honestly, your progress is really good!

These operations are very complicated. A lot happens during surgery, and as my surgeon said, " I have to do a lot of banging around in there during surgery!" The leg, the knee, the whole body is traumatized. There is MUCH healing that happens, and it seems to heal over quite a few months and in different ways. Bones, muscles, ligaments ts, nerves...all heal at their own pace.

Patience is key.

Staying positive helps create endorphins which help with pain and discomfort, too.

Keep coming back here, reading all of the stories about everyone who has experienced what YOU have. It will help A LOT!

TKRs June and October 2015

• Posted

Should read "Believe" it or not😁

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I am 19 days po. And things have been going well. I was just able to start lifting my leg a day or so ago. Today I woke at 330am with pain on top of knee. I think that is from the quad muscle start to work again. As far as cream or oil, my doctor says not until week 8 or 9 this is so the scar has fully healed. Not worth infection. I have started to massage in small circles around the knee and that seams to help a little. Pain meds I have cut down I little the past two days, however I still take Tylenol every 4 to 5 hours. I have said it before this forum has helped me so much, the encouragement from everyone has been fantastic. I will give a shout out to oldfatguy, Irish al, sandra and everyone else who I have received help from. Their words, their compassion, their encouragement have gotten me this far. Yes there will be bad days and good days hopefully more good then bad. So that's for reading take care.

Tom

• Posted

Ri g t back at you Tom. You give us a lot of encouragement, compassion and experience too.

Maybe someday I'll drink a pint of Guinness with you in Glendalough 😉

• Posted

That would be great!

I hope you are well and are enjoying yourself.

Thanks a million

Tom

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your good wishes  it's great to hear from other people in the same position

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.