Help - abdominal pain that goes away when lying down

Posted , 73 users are following.

I'm a 22 yo female who was recently diagnosed with IBS. My doctor is not entirely sure that I have IBS though, as my symptoms are not typical of the condition. Around 2 weeks before my period is due, I begin to experience (at random times, usually when I'm out and about rather than at home) a pain in my abdominal area that feels like it is being squeezed. It sometimes feels like a shooting pain, and my mid section can be tender to the touch, but only during one of these 'attacks' and not at any other time. The pain will usually start around my belly button and spread all the way up to my stomach and down to my lower abdomen. The odd thing is that this pain will go away completely when I LIE DOWN!

Eventually, the pain will go away if I lie down for long enough but if I do get up, the pain will come back. My doctor finds my symptoms to be very unusual, and put me on Colofac for IBS which has not helped. I also have heartburn around this time of my menstrual cycle and am on Somac. I have had heartburn (few times a month) since I was 14yo. I eat a high fibre, healthy diet.

I'm really hoping theres someone who has had similar symptoms before who might be able to shed some light on whats going on!! 

3 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had a similar problem now for about a year, but I can't pin it on menstrual cycle because I am male. One thing I do have is Diastatis recti - a separation of the abdominal muscles, which is common in pregnancy (but usually resolves once the baby is born) and can also occur in the obese - unfortunately I do fall into that category.  There isn't a whole lot out there on Diastatis Recti, but enough to suggest that this condition could be a cause of my discomfort as it causes the core abdominal muscles to function badly and compensate in ways they weren't meant to work.  I'm going through other tests as well to make sure it isn't anything more serious, but at the moment I am thinking this may be the cause.  Unfortunately surgery is the only cure, and isn't guaranteed.  In the meantime I am trying to lose weight to take the pressure off the muscles and we'll see what that does.

• Posted

I too am an overweight male. Just had a very painful day for the first time. It hurts exponentially more when I was bending over to take off my boots but has subsided now that I'm laying down. Any andvice one what to do to prevent the pain or calm it if it happens at work? What has come of your other tests?

• Posted

Hi! Ive been suffering with these symptoms of stomach pain for about 10 years now. I had gastroscopy once and they found an ulcer in my colon, which I was surprised. I was on meds for over 2 years. Since then I have learned so much about my diet that I cannot eat peanuts or any kinds of nuts including those hazelnuts and etc, they cause my body to get so acidic.  

The pain still coming back now and again when my stomach is empty especially during my period. I hate the pain and now that I’m lying down and reading above comments. I realised I have a lot of IBP symptoms during my period but I don’t thing I’m going to take any meds for it apart from “making sure that my stomach never completely empty”. I’d look into natural remedies though for balancing the pH level in my body. 

• Posted

When you have a stomach ulcer, having an empty stomach, can make symptoms worse.

• Posted

So i just started to get this pain today. But is weird because im a 18 year old male, that is perfectly healthy. I recently had appendicitis and got my appendix removed about a month ago. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. But like everyone else the pain goes away when i lay down. Not sure if i should go to the hospital for it or just deal with the pain. If anyone has some advice that would be great, thanks in advance.
    • Posted

Hi ArodtheGod

You have not indicated where in your abdomen the pain is...

• Posted

Is your pain right sided?  Maybe your surgery disturbed something; it can happen.
  • Posted

I have had this same pain for years (like 30!) and the doctors never could figure it out.  Although they liked to say it was IBS.  Usually it would come on slowly and get the pain would get stronger and stronger, until I felt like I might pass out.  Only laying down would make it stop. And it would... immediately!  I think I've narrowed it down to being either chronic Pancreatitis, which can be relieved by laying on your side.  Or, one doctor at Cedars, said she thought I might have a hernia.  Does your stomach get all bloated when it happens?  It does for me.

• Posted

I am so glad I have found this! I have been suffering with this pain since around October 2017. I have a constant pain in the upper abdomen that can travel down my left side. The pain can be that bad sometimes I am sick. Some days I can not even go into work as I struggle to sit at my desk. When I get the pain really bad my stomach does bloat, I have to push down on the upper part of my abdomen to try and relieve the pressure. I have been on a number of different medication for gastritis and IBS which haven’t helped. My bloods are fine and my ultrasound was fine to. I have been referred to a gastroenterologist and praying I will get some answers. It’s strange so many people are suffering with the same symptoms but no one is getting any answers!
    • Posted

I got diagnosed with IBS and my medication worked for me.  I take Buscopan as and when required.  I have been symptom  free for months.  With me, it’s all about controlling stress and anxiety.  Have you had a diagnosis? 
    • Posted

I was taking buscopan for three months and it didn’t help at all, they told me they didn’t think it would be IBS as I have a constant pain in my stomach which is sore to touch! I am waiting for my referral to see if they can pin point what’s wrong. I’m so glad you have found something that helps you!
    • Posted

My pain was constant for three and a half months and was sore to touch and I was diagnosed with IBS. The only thing that changed was the intensity of the pain. It would increase or reduce at different times of the day and would feel better when I was enjoying myself with friends and had forgotten about it.  However, the pain did not completely disappear.

Once I was diagnosed with IBS, I found my pain went into remission for months at a time.

Buscopan is very mild and you maybe need a stronger medication depending on what you are diagnosed with.  I don’t react well to strong medications.

• Posted

Wow. So glad I found this this morning. I've been suffering with abdominal pain on and off for about two years. Usually, it starts in the center of my stomach and moves either left or right. It's often accompanied with a drastic change in bowel movements and nausea. Usually, it'll fade after a few days. Today, I was awoken at 3am with a sharp like pain in my stomach as well as gas. After around ten minutes of laying on my back, the pain eased. Instead, it turned into a dull sick-like feeling across my tummy. Now, I only feel okay when I'm laying on my back. I've been to the doctor for the same several times but to no avail.

• Posted

This sounds like IBS. Do you get a temporary relief of pain after a bowel movement?  Did you have any tests? Was IBS mentioned?   I went to several doctors for three and a half months with these symptoms to no avail after various negative tests.  I was eventually diagnosed with IBS.
    • Posted

Relief just after, temporarily. I've been going to the doctor's back and forth since March 2017. I went again today. Never been mentioned annoyingly... Going to hospital for a gynaecological ultrasound to rule out ovarian cysts (again).

• Posted

I was negative for cysts.  With cysts though, they can cause either very light or very heavy periods.  Cyst pain can cause sudden abdominal pain that reaches a crescendo and then dies down again.  If your periods are normal, it may not be cysts.

IBS was mentioned twice with me before being finally diagnosed with it. Pain improves temporarily after a bowel movement with IBS.  However, wait to see what your gnae scan shows. If it shows nothing and all other tests are negative too, the diagnosis will be IBS. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.