Help - abdominal pain that goes away when lying down

Posted , 73 users are following.

I'm a 22 yo female who was recently diagnosed with IBS. My doctor is not entirely sure that I have IBS though, as my symptoms are not typical of the condition. Around 2 weeks before my period is due, I begin to experience (at random times, usually when I'm out and about rather than at home) a pain in my abdominal area that feels like it is being squeezed. It sometimes feels like a shooting pain, and my mid section can be tender to the touch, but only during one of these 'attacks' and not at any other time. The pain will usually start around my belly button and spread all the way up to my stomach and down to my lower abdomen. The odd thing is that this pain will go away completely when I LIE DOWN!

Eventually, the pain will go away if I lie down for long enough but if I do get up, the pain will come back. My doctor finds my symptoms to be very unusual, and put me on Colofac for IBS which has not helped. I also have heartburn around this time of my menstrual cycle and am on Somac. I have had heartburn (few times a month) since I was 14yo. I eat a high fibre, healthy diet.

I'm really hoping theres someone who has had similar symptoms before who might be able to shed some light on whats going on!! 

3 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi All, I to have this crazy Pain that is induced after eating (can not tag it to anything in particular). The pain increases to the point that I have to lay down... and it slowly goes away. DONT dare get up to soon... just might not be gone yet. 

If I am to guess on foods... I would have to say pasta and dairy. 

My stomach hardens, my upper stomach even gets larger and hard. 

I have now had this for 20yrs and no answers. 

All I got left is ginger digestive tea. 

• Posted

I am experiencing this exact same thing. I’ve experienced it since I was quite young. It goes away as soon as I lay down!

Mine however has nothing to do with my period sad 

Strange because I sometimes don’t get it for several months, then it will come back randomly. I’ve been eating cleaner lately and it has come back. I haven’t been to the doctor yet because I don’t think the symptoms make much sense....

Have you sound your solution yet?

Regards

• Posted

Your doctor will make sense of your symptoms and once you find out what is wrong and you get treatment, you will feel more relieved.
  • Posted

Hi.

I am experiencing the same thing. Bout 20 min after I eat, pain like cramps in my stomach, like my stomach is having spasms, just under my diaphragm it's relieved slightly by burping, usual have gas too, bloated, gets worse after ever meal as day progresses, relieved if I lie down for long enough. Seems to flair up with my anxiety, any ideas?

• Posted

I am so frustrated with this stomach pain.  I am 35 and have had it since I was a teenager.  My mom gets the same pain too.  Today I got the stomach pain at 8 am, tried to work and had to lay down multiple times.  I just started probiotic to see if it helps....and I am going to chart ho often I get it. The pain is not associated with stress or any food.  So frustrated..what a waste of a day.
  • Posted

Hello mon2017a,

I am 19yrs old and two years ago I was diagnosed with IBS and then endometriosis a bit later, after two years and two laprascopic surgeries I lay here still in pain writing this to you. I am in awe of this forum, truly. I understand and feel all of you symptoms along with the 40 others who replied. I have horrible pain on my right side that is made unbearable by an empty stomach. Laying down relieves it, anxiety makes it worse. I have been prescribed everything on the shelves for pain including something called a “vaginal valium” that I was to scared of to even think about. I use medical marijuana to help my pain but nothing stops it. I am going crazy, as I am sure you are too. I hope one day we all find an end to this and get our lives back.

Best Wishes 

H3897

• Posted

I know this is an old post. I have the same symptoms as those you described. Something made me look up hietal hernia. The symptoms of hietal hernia seem to match this collection of symptoms better than any other disorder.
  • Posted

@mon2017a have you found a diagnosis yet??? I have similar pain only goes away when I lay down.. for me I am in great pain and severely gassy anytime I eat something.. I had to fast for my upper gi testing and did not get the pain once so for me its anytime I eat or drink anything and I can only take it away by lying down
    • Posted

@desiree86435 - I'm still working on on my case but you might try to drink half cup of red beet juice (home made) with next 2-4 meals and see if there is a difference.

If you decide to do this make sure to drink plenty of water (not with meals) because red beets have potential to cause oxalate kidney stones.

If you will feel improvement - it might be related to gallbladder and gallstones and release of bile (I'm still testing this theory on my case).

• Posted

No, after 2.5 months, it's getting better. Docs keep saying everything is fine. All point to muscular or skeletal but nothing definite.

• Posted

Weird right I more scared of them saying I have nothing wrong then finding something because the pain is extreme I will know my results by Friday
    • Posted

Thanks I will do I also just purchased Rachel's tea so fingers crossed that will help as well suppose to be good for tummy problems ugghh..

• Posted

you know I think you may be right on the gall stones so strange for it to cause pain in lower left side rather than upper right which is the norm.. my doctors did find some gall stones burning thought they were crazy because my pain had nothing to do with typical gall bladder pain.. I never tried beat juice but I did take a round of cirpro strong antibiotic to kill the inflammation which was causing my white blood cells to freak out and multiply. I also started taking organic aloe pills by aloe fuzion 2x a day and my pain has never returned knock on wood.. this has been about 4 months now..

• Posted

@desiree86435 - my case moved forward and I know for 100% sure that it was gallstones for me because I went to China and got them removed while preserving the gallbladder and my stomach issues stopped immediately.

Turns out I had "mild" chronic gastritis (stomach inflamation) from.. gallbladder being full of cholesterol/calcium stones and my bile was leaking to the stomach causing pain - bile is alkaline and stomach juices are acidic and this creates erosion on the stomach tissue.

Please do extensive blood tests with your doctor (liver tests, calcium leves, cholesterol levels, PTH, vitamine D, vitamine B12, hormone levels etc.).

Also please be aware - only calcified gallstones are visible on ultrasound - I had no visible gallstones until 2 years have passed and they calcified and started to be visible on US.

• Posted

thanks for the advice. yes I too believe mine is from my gall stones as well.. are you taking anything natural to help them from reappearing?? I never had mine removed (not sure if maybe I passed them naturally) but like I mentioned so far no reoccurring pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.