Help I have been bleeding since August last year.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had blood in my stool since last august 2016 and it hasn't stopped, i get pain but only sometimes either when i wake up or use the toilet, the medication i'm taking Mesalazine and Azathioprine doesn't seem to be working and sometimes i need to rush to the toilet as i cannot hold it in, on average i use the toilet 5 times but most days it's more.

I also work a full time job and have missed a few appointments from the hospital and now i've been discharged and have to go to the dotors but my doctor isn't very helpful, so i dont know what to do. Has anyone had similar symptoms? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi - is the blood dark red or light? Do you have mucas, runny or normal stools? Is it very smelly when you go?

• Posted

Ask your doctor to check for haemorroids or fissures.  This could be the cause if your blood is fresh, bright red blood.

Also ask for a fecal calprotectin stool test to check for inflammation. This will determine whether you have signs of IBD.  A colonoscopy would confirm this.  Are you having any weight loss?

• Posted

By your meds you must have uc?

GPs are no good. Go back to hospital and if your gp won't refer you go to a and e. Or walk in centre. They can refer you. You have to treat the uc with stroids first to bring the condition under control before daily asa tablets and foams sprays can work! They will only keep it at bay. And like pentasa you have to be in the the right meds and dose to suit you. Uc can cause other symptoms like weight loss and ulcers in the mouth etc. We had the same issue before they got it right to a point where you need the loo after eating anything

• Posted

Yes i have UC and the blood varies from everything you've mentioned Sbgoodguy.

I have lost weight but i am now a vegan so i am eating as healthy as i can i heard about red cabbage juice being good for UC/IBS so i have been doing that but not keeping up with it but it doesn't seem to be working and this could be because my body isn't abosrbing the nutrients.

So I am going to go see my GP and if they won't refer me i will go to the hospital and get refered via a & e or walk in as a60450 mentioned. 

Thank you all for the advice. smile

• Posted

Have you had a colosamy? Samples are taken also to test for microscope coliis. You can tell your gp to give you a blood test for ESR which is inflammation but it won't confirm coliis. If it comes back high then bingo! Steroids to bring it down then daily dose of controlled Asa like pentasa. I'm not sure your going to sort this with diet alone but while your there get appointment for a dietitian. Uc is where the body fights against itself. Your colon takes out the stuff it needs and forms the stool in the process if this is not working you will feel like rubbish. I have to repeat that control drugs along will only keep it at bay not bring it down. They did this to us and all was fine until they halfed the pentasa then it came back. Maybe to save money I don't know. Now on 4 in the morning 4 every night. Works a treat.

• Posted

Yeah I have had that procedure and I know I have UC, I was diagnosed with it 5 years or so ago. What I wanted to know is why it keeps coming back and when will it stop in terms of the strength of the medication. Surly i cant keep taking stronger and stronger meds there must be another way. Im going to get on the steroids again as seems like only way to bring the inflammation down and cheers for the advice mate means alot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.