Help is this Angina ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

wonder if someone can help me.

I have been to the hospital on 3 occasions in the last 2 years because I have felt unwell and have suffered Minor chest pain each time the hospital has been very careful and carried blood tests etc which have all been clear of a heart attack. I have also had an angiogram which showed no significant narrowing of arteries. I have recently been getting some mild chest pain again more like little twinges along with longer periods of a heavy or tight feeling. The doctor has given me a TNT spray which so far I have only used twice both times It has seemed to improve the tightness but not completly, the doctor said that if it didnt go after 10mins to call 999, but surely it cant be a heart attack as its been going on for days ? I normally have a drink or two in the evening and without fail the tightness goes, is this because the blood is thinning ? I really dont want to waste the hospitals time if it is just stress of just a chest infection, any advice ?

Nick

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i would ask about prinzmetal angina or syndrome x angina, also there are a number of muscle lining and chest infections that can casue similar sypmtoms. Your GP amy not be too aware of Prinzmeatl but worth a try also if in heart or heart area chest pain and it does last then you wont be wasting anyones time unless you dont get help...worth disucssing all the options with GP and cardilogist (I have Prinzmetal and syndrome x (along with intermitent Arrhythmia and ME...) I would stress stronlgy if in pain and it doenst clear with GTN then call for assistance but if either of the above anginas thne it may be a challange getting diagnosis and help if an infection then antibiotics will see you right ... get an Xray eyc to be sure, again ask them questions ... Good luck!!!! hope it goes well and you do indeed get better soon!!!!!
    • Posted

Hi Andrew,

All taken on board, truly thankful for your reply

best wishes to you

Nick

• Posted

Hi nick,

Is there a pattern to your chest pain, like does it come on between  8pm -8am ? Not a lot of people know this but GTN is also prescribed for indigestion, I'm not suggesting that's what it is but just thought I'd throw that into the works, Your GP would of given you a simpler form of medication for that, one that doesn't leave a person with a thumping headache from the GTN smile

I see you said, no signifiicant narrowing, this could be the start of angina for you as that's what was said to me years ago "no significant narrowing" but 2 years later I had another Angiogram and a 50-60 % occlussion was found in my right coronary artery. You also mentioned about having a drink or 2 in the evening, perhaps this is your bodies way of relaxing after a couple of drinks ?

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Chest pain seems to start in the morning, dont have trouble at night. My angiogram was a couple of years ago. Get very tired and feel quite weak in legs and arms. I am just hoping its some sort of virus, have got another appointment with Doc, but not til Tuesday week, if I dont feel any better by Monday I think I will go for an emergency appointment.

Thanks again for your comments

• Posted

Hi,

Sounds like it may be time for another Angiogram, that was the space between mine (2 years) from "no significant narrowing " to 50-60% blockage. Sounds like the doctor might be on the right track with prescribing GTN especially if it's giving you relief. Have you had any other heart tests performed ?

• Posted

Hi,

Not for a couple of years, guess I need to have a chat with my Doctor

thanks again Samuels

Nick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.