help on pain relief please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hias per my previous post I have been diagnosed with gallstones I'm in the UK and have been told up to 3 months for the op. To say I'm upset is an understatement!! My question is I am raking 6 tramadol a day plus 6 buscapan plus oramorph and paracetamol. Should I be pain free as I'm currently Sat in agony after taking all of the above. I try putting a brave face on for my bf and family but I am struggling with the pain and I'm cracking. Any help much appreciated. I have rang surgeon and they have said if a cancellation is available then I can have it but daily pain, not being able to work my whole life is on hold I'm only 29..... I'm having a very bad night sad

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you're having a bad night, I wasn't completely pain free, but it sounds like you might be having another attack. If you are still in bad pain now, feel or been sick etc try calling 111 the NHS care services in England, or NHS direct Wales on 0845 46 47 for advice, not sure what it is in Scotland, this is what I did both times and each time they got me into A&E. I actually had mine out as an emergency within 12 hours of going in the second time.
  • Posted

If Gallbladder itself is not infected they will avoid surgery. I live in Melbourne, Austalia and have been waiting two years. One thing you could is to turn up in ER in hospital as they will treat you ASAP.
  • Posted

Hi Hannah,

Sorry to hear your in so much pain, you seem to be taking so much too. I had GB removed last year and the pain was debilitating, I'm not sure your GB problem but a lot of people agree that morphine can actually make GB pain worse. I used to run a very hot bath, so hot that the window had to be open so I could breathe, then hot water bottle. Drugs were tramadol alternated with ibuprofen, amitriptyline at night as they also make you sleepy and a ranitidine in morning. You must remember to sip water and eat a little and often, bland food it will help to soak up the bile.

Take Care

• Posted

Thankyou I will try drs see if they can change my pills .I'm just so upset as it's effecting my hole life. All I eat is chicken turkey rice things like that I just want rid sad xx
  • Posted

Hi Hannah, I'm wondering if one of the drugs you are on is affecting you, I was on lansoprazole 2x day and renitadine 2x day this controlled it until I had surgery last wed... I would speak to the doctor or as a replay earlier go in as an emergency...... I remember the pain and also had to wait about 3months.... Good luck x
    • Posted

Also meant to say I was fine with codeine before op but brought on the old pains afterwards, change of painkillers to acupan and I'm heading in the right direction....
    • Posted

Thank you I was in lanzaprole in hospital but they changed it to buscapan I might see what else they suggest thank you for you're reply xxx
    • Posted

I found spacing them out best too, one lanz as soon as I woke one renitadine around 10.30 the 2nd lanz about 6pm before eating the last renitadine when I went to bed...... Took a while to work it out but that seemed to work...had to avoid drinking choc, choc, black current, white or red wine and any acidic fruit,,,,I kinda got to know as soon as I started eating it if it would agree or not..... I also used graviscon in between tablets bu not within 2hrs of the lanz....... Good luck x. Ohh also drinking milk helped if I felt acidy 
    • Posted

Ahhhhh I am drinking black current I'll try leaving that out! I can't have any ddairy that's a huge trigger for me luckily I don't have milk in my tea so I'm ok but my God I miss cheese! Thanks for that every days a school day smile xx
    • Posted

If you are in severe pain you should go to a&e. When I have a severe attack I have no choice but to go as IV morphine is the only drug that helps mine. Also the registrar I sae told me I should always come to hospital if in a lot of pain os it could mean gallbladder is infected which is an emergency situation.

Hope you get your date soon. I will have waited just over 4 months from referral to consultant and operation date in Sept.

• Posted

Yeah too much cheese wasn't good for me either and I stupidly had one small onion bhaji (a tesco one so thought wouldn't be strong and certainly didn't taste strong) resulted in 21/2 hrs rolling on the bathroom floor!!!  Onions, chives, anything that might repeat really was a no no too.... Yup we live and learn!!! But I agree go to hospital if it's constant it could lead to serious results if you just suffer x. 
  • Posted

I totally understand where you are coming from.

I was diagnosed at Christmas laast year and was told the waiting list was 8 - 9 months. I was on similar medication to you.

I finally managed to get in on a cancellation and had my gallbladder out at end of April.

One GP said to me if I am really struggling i just have to keep going back to surgery and getting them to push to get me done.

It should not be like that but I'm afraid it is.

Keep seeing different GPs at the surgery till you get to one who is prepared to do something about it. This is what I had to do.

In the meantime, keep to a low fat diet.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much all of you smile I certainly will be going to a&e again 3rd time lucky after having cholistitis I really don't want that again. You're all so lovely and it's so good to talk to people who understand smile you've really helped to today thank you xxxx
  • Posted

Hi, I'm glad you're feeling better. I understand your frustrations, I'm nearly 29 too and this is ruining my life too! I've tried A&E but my one didn't do anything just give me 1 Tramadol. From what I understand, they are extremely reluctant to take it out during an attack unless it's a severe emergency, but you should definitely go the next time you have an attack, just in case.

I find Buscopan to be no use, I'm now taking 30/500 cocodamol, and then about an hour later I take 2 Tramadol. I find spacing them out helps, that the effects seem a little stronger, whether that's a placebo or not I don't know. But it also means that you can take the next ones just a few hours later. It doesn't always work, but on the extreme nights it will full the pain just enough so that I can breathe and eventually drop off to sleep. 

I know you didn't mention it, but since others have, I found that taking Omeprezole and Tums made my pain worse, and lansoprazole, ranitidine, and amitriptyline did nothing.

Definitely cut out the black currant! I was drinking Robinsons squash like it went out of fashion and having severe attacks until a friend looked at the back and found it was full of citric acid. 

I hope you get the surgery soon. If you haven't tried codeine yet, see if you can get some. I take them as a preventative most nights, and then can top up with Tramadol on the bad nights, it's the closest I've gotten to full pain relief in the last year. 

• Posted

Hannah,

You cantry 2 table spoon of Apple Cider Vinegar and mix it with Organic Apple Juice. The kind of Apple juice that DOES NOT look like pee.Do that about 3 times daily. This should relax the Gallbladder.You can also look on youtube for a few tips as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.