help on pain relief please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hias per my previous post I have been diagnosed with gallstones I'm in the UK and have been told up to 3 months for the op. To say I'm upset is an understatement!! My question is I am raking 6 tramadol a day plus 6 buscapan plus oramorph and paracetamol. Should I be pain free as I'm currently Sat in agony after taking all of the above. I try putting a brave face on for my bf and family but I am struggling with the pain and I'm cracking. Any help much appreciated. I have rang surgeon and they have said if a cancellation is available then I can have it but daily pain, not being able to work my whole life is on hold I'm only 29..... I'm having a very bad night sad

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder out 6 weeks ago and im a 29 year old skinny male. I understand your pain and frustrations it took me 6 months to get mine out. The thing i found that worked better then anything was I cut every fatty thing out of my diet i could think of. Any kind of fat even the so called "healty fats" like fish would give me a gallbladder attack. Once I took on the drastic diet i was able to get off of painkillers and resumed a so called "normal" life eventhough i had to turn down many dinner invites even to my mom and dads to make sure I was eating the lowest fat foods possible. Hopefully that helps, it takes a lot of willpower but the fear of another attack kept me on diet. Best of luck! smile
    • Posted

Yes it is really difficult to stick to a lo fat diet.

Had my gallbladder out at end of April.

I had some friends round for a buffet supper last week.

Bought some dips to have with celery, carrot and breadsticks.

Still eating them up, they are lovely.

However I finally looked at the fat content.

35 per cent!!!

No wonder I woke at 3.45 this morning in agony. Think I might chuck the rest out.

One GP said that once I had my gallbladder out, I could go back to eating exactly what I liked. No way.

I think this is something I am just going to have to learn to live with. Could be a lot worse.

Sarah

• Posted

My surgeon said the exact same thing, and to be honest, I haven't had any problems so far. I'm eating most of my trigger foods, chocolate all day, pork, beef burgers, an Indian takeaway - chicken korma and a naan, crisps, biscuits. General junk food seems to be what I'm craving right now and I'm going along with it for now and fortunately my body is tolerating it. I'm taking the really high fat foods slowly, I'm about to try takeaway pizza or McDonald's today and see how that goes.

I became so so regimented about checking the fat content of everything, I just wouldn't buy anything higher than 3% fat in the house, that way the temptation wasn't there.

• Posted

I've been on as much of a low fat diet as you can get its awful having to think about how much fat is in everything but hey I've lost loads of weight so that's a plus side. I've tried all the remedies people have told me on here I'm still popping over 20 pills a day. Finally today they have said I can have my pre op so fingers crossed I will get a cancellation as I'm sick of seeing a&e and the drs now I just want to get it out and go back to normal happy me. I seem to be crying and feeling helpless a lot at the moment is this normal? X
    • Posted

Hannah

Yeah I got that way too. More then a few nights making dinner where i had to stop because I was so frustrated with the situation I was in. The fact that I couldn't leave the house unless I was sure I had some advil in my back pocket incase of another attack drove me nuts. The melt downs do happen, not being able to do everything you did before this all started sucks beyond belief.  

But the longer you have to live with it the easier it gets. Thats not to say you still wont have your bad days but the longer you have to wait the more accepting of the crazy/ridiculous situation that having gall bladder problems is. 

Keep Smiling smile Next thing you know you'll be one of us responding to other people and telling them that things will get much better. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear about pain... I had got diagnosed with gallstones in June pain was on and off for about a week... The beginning of this month I had another spell and ended up ringing 111 who in the end sent out paramedics got admitted and discovered I had pancreatis which was caused by gallstones and there is a 10% death from pancreatis... So get checked out... I was then in hospital for 8 days after getting an infection, and then got put down for an op on the 14th was let out the same day, and pleasantly surprised with how little pain I was in, nothing compared to what the gall stones and pancreatis caused.... I was given an op very quickly people who were admitted for gallstones in the ward I was was sent home with antibiotics and told it would be a six week wait so I was blessed in one way to have it done so quick......

i found hot water bottles helped

• Posted

Thanks for you're reply sounds similar to what happened to me but still a lot of fannying around waiting fir operation dates sad it's been 10 weeks since I had a weeks stay I've been back a further 4 times and still waiting I'm ringing weekly fir a date but nothing yet. It's really getting me down & effecting my working & home life. If only I could affordto go private sad

Its great to hear positive stories after the op though and I wish you a speedy recovery xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.