help please

Posted , 9 users are following.

I didn't realize till I got PMR that my mother in law had it. I only knew that she was on prednisone and had all the rage symptoms. Until I got it my husband never really mentioned it. We live in different cities. Since my diagnosis I feel like a s##t for not taking the time like I do with my mom's health. She does have a daughter who lives in the same town who helps her.

I now am very concerned especially since both mom's over for dinner and mother in law tripped and fell and broke her femer. This was in August and has had a long recovery. She got home in November. Up until this very independent.

She had PMR for years which turned into rheumatoid arthritis and has been on methotrexate weekly which does agitate her. Lately she has had major pain down her legs and in her rumi appointment this week they say this is from osteoarthritis in her spine coming down her leg. So she now has rheumatoid in her body and osteoarthritis in the spine as well as recouping from her fever break so still has mobility issues.

She asked rumi what she could take for pain even acupuncture and he recommended nothing.

Eileen, I know you will have a suggestion as well as others, can you please help me help her.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

"all the rage symptoms?"  Am I reading this right?  I don't recall rage being mentioned as one of the symptoms and it wasn't one of mine.  Perhaps I've lost the drift.

Unfortunately, OA does often come along after RA, it tends to break out in the most damaged joints, however most Rheumys don't generally manage OA. it is left to GP's as there is not a lot which can be done for it apart from painkillers and surgery  when appropriate but can she not be referred to a pain clinic?  They may well be able to suggest something. 

As far as complementary therapies go there are quite a few available, but no one knows if they will work until it's tried out.  I have regular treatments with Bowen therapy which is very gentle (PMR muscles don't like a hard or deep massage) and I've had acupuncture in the past which did help.

I would think that her GP would be the place to start. 

• Posted

When she was on prednisone for Pmr she had definite prednisone rage and mood swings.

She then develoved R Arthritis and now has osteoarthritis in the spine. She mentioned some drugs to the rumi and he said don't bother as well as acupuncture and he said if you want to throw your money away. He was not encouraging at all. I have mentioned Bowens to her so if anyone has what she has what have you used and done is much appreciated.

I told her about the forum and said I would ask. Funny thing she is originally from England and now in Canada.

• Posted

I would agree with her rheumy re acupuncture. I was a trustee of a national arthritis charity in years gone by and some people said it helped but I suspect the placebo affect was also involved. My mother said it was a waste of time. I had it recently and would agree with her. On the other hand you don't know until you try it I suppose. I personally think I would spend money on Bowen before acupuncture though. There was a doctor I knew who used to recommend liquid paraffin for arthritis! I suspect it was really because it reduced constipation though, but I think most people who tried it said it worked. Another lady used to swear by green tea enemas and a vegetarian diet of mainly raw veg. I think most people felt that life would not be worth living going down that route.
    • Posted

Thanks for answering but was does green tea enemas have to do with osteoarthritis in the spine and RA in the rest of body.

I agree with her trying Bowens so I will have to see who does it close to her.amyone on meds for pain and if so what are you taking?

• Posted

Does she live in Ontario?  She could follow up on the kind of light therapy that I've been getting.  My physiotherapist is very good and has other PMR patients so she has a lot of knowledge.  The procedure has been tested and found effective for relieving fibromyalgia symptoms.  I can't name the company here, but if you look up low intensity laser therapy toronto kahn it should show up quite high on the list.
    • Posted

Goodness, that really is a new one on me.......just haven't come across it before and I've been on steroids for 15 years now.  I haven't got RA, but am still served with a PMR diagnosis plus fibromyalgia, OA (had a hip replaced last year and waiting for a knee to be done this year) plus several other bits and bobs, T2 diabetes, asthma, hypothyroid and gastritis.  I have been given co-codamol and Tramadol, which I use turn and turn about so that I don't stick on either one of them for too long.  I've also got amitriptyline and gabapentin for nerve pain.

Apart from that, I'm fine!

• Posted

Oh, and also shown effective in RA.  Not officially studied for PMR but I'm doing well with it!  And it may also have positive benefits combatting osteoporosis. The practitioners are all trained by the company so I would expect that treatment protocal would be similar no matter who performs it.
    • Posted

Goodness knows what green tea enemas have to do with osteoarthritis, but this lady raved about the idea and even gave talks about it. She reckoned it had made her virtually pain and inflammation free having started off a virtual cripple. I would take the idea with a spoonful of sugar myself! 
    • Posted

Hi an hagar, like me in Ontario but in Woodstock, closest Bowens is London but will look up laser light therapy. My husband uses this on his ankle and wrist when he fell off the roof😕

Thanks for the suggestion

• Posted

Thanks, just wondering, I'll keep that suggestion on the back burner to her.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info, writing it all down to tell her. For some reason I don't think she can do tramp dole but I will see.
    • Posted

Oh my goodness.  Falling off a roof is kind of drastic - no lasting damage I hope?  The laser therapy I get is quite intense.  Apparently the company is now selling a unit for home use but it costs thousands of dollars and I can't imagine how I could use it on my spine.  Could not trust hubby to master doing the treatments on me as his vision is now so poor and he's not very technically savvy anyway.  But my physiotherapist is wonderful.  The website says there is a practitioner in Woodstock, a chiropractor and massage therapist.
    • Posted

I would always ask if they've had experience with PMR patients.  That was the first thing I checked with my physio and she has treated several people with PMR - including a man who weaned off pred within a year!  
    • Posted

Your awesome. Hubby has a big plate and screws in his arm and leg and ankle was just mangled not broken. Sometimes breaks are better at least in his case. We're are you located?

Do you get laser on your spine for option.

• Posted

I'm so envious of those men😠

I agree with you though. I will call ahead before I give her the info

• Posted

That's the treatment.  Approximately twice a week, over half an hour, applied to area of spine, working up from base of spine to neck.  She did this to get me to level 2, now I am starting over and getting level 3 treatment.  The final stage is level 4. Takes a few weeks to reach each new level.  The light is only applied to one area each appointment, although she will adjust slightly during the course of the treatment, and the type and intensity of light is increased gradually over about 40 minutes or even more sometimes. I am aware of it only as gentle warmth.  Spine is the location because that is where all the nerves branch out from.  So I've never actually had light directed at any painful places (except coincidentally if I happen to have a non-pmr-related backache, and that has been helped too).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.