help please

Posted , 9 users are following.

I didn't realize till I got PMR that my mother in law had it. I only knew that she was on prednisone and had all the rage symptoms. Until I got it my husband never really mentioned it. We live in different cities. Since my diagnosis I feel like a s##t for not taking the time like I do with my mom's health. She does have a daughter who lives in the same town who helps her.

I now am very concerned especially since both mom's over for dinner and mother in law tripped and fell and broke her femer. This was in August and has had a long recovery. She got home in November. Up until this very independent.

She had PMR for years which turned into rheumatoid arthritis and has been on methotrexate weekly which does agitate her. Lately she has had major pain down her legs and in her rumi appointment this week they say this is from osteoarthritis in her spine coming down her leg. So she now has rheumatoid in her body and osteoarthritis in the spine as well as recouping from her fever break so still has mobility issues.

She asked rumi what she could take for pain even acupuncture and he recommended nothing.

Eileen, I know you will have a suggestion as well as others, can you please help me help her.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have definitely experienced swings in mood and on high doses (for poison ivy) I experienced rage and anger more intense than normal.  I do find I have to control my emotions more now than when not on pred especially around my young students.  It has made me much more emotional.
    • Posted

Hi Artfingers, like you my side effects mainly effect my brain. Brain fog, mood swings, depression but I keep it in check with swimming. It not only has helped my range of motion but keeps my mind level. My advice is find an activity that does this for you. I have also noticed with the increased activity/exercise it also has helped with pmr pain.
  • Posted

Don't underestimate the power of placebos!  Also don't underestimate the power of coincidence.  The green tea therapy may have initially worked purely from coincidence, but continues to work because the lady believes it works.
    • Posted

I think I'm with you on the team therapy 😕

Mariane

I hope Eileen has some suggestions.

• Posted

I thought the "roid" rage only happened years back when the body

builders took anabolic steroids which are a different thing than

cortocosteroids.   I've personally not experienced any rage or anger

issues being on pred for over 2 and a half years.....What I mostly

feel is fatigue........

• Posted

You are lucky not to have the mood side effects.

As I've said my mother in law had it bad and I suffer from it too especially during reduction. It is one of the side effects and we all get different ones.

• Posted

I've never experienced rage or mood changes with PMR (except the odd cry when in a lot of pain)!  In fact, it has calmed me down somewhat, perhaps that's because of the amount of sleep I have (I slept 13 hours yesterday - not all at once though)!  The fatigue is my worst enemy, I hate it.  My nickname is Zombie!  Are there no drugs that wake you up and give you energy?  How I wish canabis was legal!😏😄

After 4 years on Pred I feel it is time I had a break.  I used to love to go on holidays, even for only 3 or 4 days.  But I can't go on coach trips or long car journeys any more.  Frustrating, yes, but not rage!😄

• Posted

Just got home from an evening of cards with our best friends and she suffers from rheumatoid arthritis. She was put on Humira prior to approval as a study patient and says it works great.

Like my mother in law who is on methotrexate which is awful.

Any of you guys on Humira? She says they are finding it works on a lot of our immune diseases. Anyone hear of this?

• Posted

I thought Humira was to stop joint swelling in RA by blocking the protein that causes it, so I am not sure how good it would be for PMR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.