Help please

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi,

I have had PMR for 2 & a half years, I am aged 52, currently on 10mg pred per day and would appreciate any comments / thoughts on the following.

1. I sometimes forget things, like when driving how to get to my destination even although I know it well or I have left keys in car or front door keys in the door outside. Anyone else come across this ?

2. I have had to give up work as I cannot concentrate and am too tired, again am I being a wimp or anyone else had to do this ?

3. I find it difficult to get a full nights sleep and often have not very nice dreams, is it just me ?

4. I try to walk 2 miles each day (on flat ground) some days I feel fine and on others this tires me and hurts. Anyone else feel like this ?

5. When I do anything that requires exertion (housework) often I get horrendously sweaty even after only a short period, is this common.

any advice anyone can give would be really appreciated as even with all the great help from my doctor and hospital consultant I still feel very confused about PMR and kind of feel either isolated or that I am just not trying hard enough.

if you have read this far thank you for doing so. George from Kirkcaldy.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 55, used to work full time, and exercise 6 days a week. I have nowhere the life I used to.

1. Yes I too am more forgetful.

2. I have gone to part time temporarily. It has helped tremendously. I must rest in the afternoon.

3. I never get a full night's sleep. I don't remember any disturbing dreams though.

4. Yes I've had to give up almost all of the exercise I used to do. I can only do mild exercise now. I am missing my usual exercise terribly. I have found that Aqua classes in a warm pool around 87 degrees are very helpful.

5. I too sweat profusely over any exertion. Vacuuming will cause the sweat to literally run from my head down my neck.

PMR sounds manageable when the doctor tells you how to take the prednisone and when you read about it, but I find living with it to be a bit of a nightmare. Nothing I ever could have imagined to be experiencing in my 50s. Living for the day I get my life back. You are not alone.

• Posted

Thanks Barbara, it is good to know that what I am feeling is not different to   others with this condition. George
  • Posted

Hi George I have had PMR for almost 2 years though didn't start treatment till 18months ago . I am doing the dead slow reduction and I'm almost down to 4 mg going really well so far. I too had to give up work as I could not concentrate and was unable to retain any new information, unfortunately this was at a time I was redeployed to a new job , the stress was just too much. Now that I am on a lower dose my sleep has improved though I can still wake up through the night because of the sweats , I now drink caffeine free drinks and this has helped too. I pace myself every day in what ever I do this means not exerting myself when doing housework ,I've got loads of time to do it , I do a bit then rest . The only excercise I do is walking but like you i tire and feel sore . 

I always feel better when coming on this site because I know it isn't just me , I've learnt more on here than from my rheumatologist. 

Your doing really well George take care 

best wishes Molly 

• Posted

Hi George,

I had PMR diagnosed last February 16 but the symptoms came on about a year prior to this. I started on 20mg of Pred and fluctuated up to 30mg and now have finally tapered down to 3.5mg but have recently had a outburst which I am now back up to 5 mg.

In the beginning I wasn't able to walk at all, had to give up my job as I

couldn't get up in time and when I did I felt like a zombie. Hot and cold

sweats, loss of memory. If I did go out for a small trip, i would be worth nothing the following day so had to rest. I have spent the last year resting in the arm chair. I cannot walk into the kitchen so my husband is my full

time carer .

I can relate to your feelings as I to am going through exactly what you

are feeling.

The Pred has done a good job on my bones as I have to have a double hip replacement in a weeks time. Two years ago my hips were average for a 53 year old.

They say to go with the flow but it is very hard.

Take Care x

• Posted

I recognise a lot of these problems and although I am now on 5.5 I still sometimes have weird dreams. As I have lowered the steroids most of it has improved and as Molly has also mentioned I drink caffeine free teas and coffee. This was for a different reason but it helped the sleep. On this site you will find you are not alone and hopefully that helps.
    • Posted

Thank you, it's reassuring to know my symptoms are not specific to me. Thanks again and good luck on regaining your health

• Posted

Thank you and I'm glad that you are feeling more reassured.

• Posted

This all sounds very familiar except for the bad dreams. I'm 55 and have had PMR for almost 2 years. I am weaning to 3.5 mg of pred on the DSNS method and actually feeling pretty good at the moment. I tend to stress out easily which always makes me feel worse, so I've been trying to work on that. Praying we will all get through this!!

• Posted

Hi Darlene,

Thank you for the reassurance, good luck on your improving health

• Posted

Could relate to some of those things especially when first on pred.  On the plus side, I was excused from jury duty in my early days because of a) potentially impaired judgement and b) tendency to nod off at the drop of a hat. wink

• Posted

Nos 2-5 are all very very common in PMR or when taking pred. In that you really are not alone as the other replies have shown.

I have to say - your description of No 1 bothers me a bit and it is something I haven't heard anyone say in its entirety before. Forgetful yes, not being able to remember how to get home, no. I often leave the keys in the outside of the door but haven't left the car keys behind yet! 

Are you on any other medications? Statins for example?

Say hi to Fife for me - the daughter lives in Rosyth and used to work at the Victoria Hospital!

• Posted

Thanks Eileen, I went to the doctor today and she said it's due to the mix of different medications.

I'm not going daft after all 😀

• Posted

Sounds as if you have a very sensible doctor there - I do hope she is going to sort out those medications?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.