Help please

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi,

I have had PMR for 2 & a half years, I am aged 52, currently on 10mg pred per day and would appreciate any comments / thoughts on the following.

1. I sometimes forget things, like when driving how to get to my destination even although I know it well or I have left keys in car or front door keys in the door outside. Anyone else come across this ?

2. I have had to give up work as I cannot concentrate and am too tired, again am I being a wimp or anyone else had to do this ?

3. I find it difficult to get a full nights sleep and often have not very nice dreams, is it just me ?

4. I try to walk 2 miles each day (on flat ground) some days I feel fine and on others this tires me and hurts. Anyone else feel like this ?

5. When I do anything that requires exertion (housework) often I get horrendously sweaty even after only a short period, is this common.

any advice anyone can give would be really appreciated as even with all the great help from my doctor and hospital consultant I still feel very confused about PMR and kind of feel either isolated or that I am just not trying hard enough.

if you have read this far thank you for doing so. George from Kirkcaldy.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I agree with, and have suffered, through the same things! Periodically over 3 years I have noticed some improvement, but then that has subsided. Whenever I taper successfully I am hopeful and then suffer these same symptoms/side effects again.

i don't think it has anything to do with "trying"....PMR runs its own course...just stay with it😊

• Posted

Yes to 1-6 although my forgetfulness is compounded by ADHD.The other day i could not remember if it was fri or Sat and I refused to look it up until I could remember. It was just the early fogginess I get from all the meds or from not having meds yet. Goes along with the pain I have until I get moving and pred on board. I usually take the Pred and go back to bed for a couple of hours. That works. 

Housework? I need a man like that! I haven't been able to walk yet. Down to 13.75 from 20 a month ago. May be too fast because I had a hard day today (grandkids overnight, age 6 and 8 active boys), so took 15 this morning...didn't help much. I actually feel better as I reduce the dosage which tells me it may be pred reactions.  We shall see. Fatigue is my biggest problem, and I keep the house at 65 cause even doing dishes makes me sweaty and exhausted.  So, hang in there. They tell  me it gets better. Let's hope

• Posted

Thanks for responding, really appreciate everyone's input, makes me realise I'm not alone.

• Posted

They all sound very familiar!

Diagnosed Dec 14 aged 51 (just), currently on 5mg pred, MTX and Tocilizumab (Actemra)

1. Yep!

2/ I had about 6 months off work and then did a return to work program for the following few months. Been back full time for nearly a year.

3. Yup, same.

4/ Yep. you can never tell if it's going to be a good day or a bad day.

5/ Yup

Advice: read this forum!!

• Posted

Hi George

just going to say yes to the brain fog but as your steroids come down it does get less, I understand about work I have been ambling along for the last 4 years all I did was sleep when I get home, sleep I cannot advise I sleep like a log, the walking will always do you good if you can manage it just remember to always rest after. As for the housework my job is caretaking very physical job sweating buckets but I think it has kept me quite fit I sometimes wonder what size dress I would be if my job was not  so physical. I have had pmr for 4 years just been told it's gone but adrenal glands working at 70% so my next challenge is to get them working, so good look but just remember t listen to your body when it wants rest then rest 

Good luck

• Posted

Hello George, I would be very surprised if PMR is the reason for you forgetting things, not trying to be unkind, but I would caution you to get checked for dementia or alzheimers just as a safety measure.  I am 83 and I have PMR, had lots of problems with it, but none that made me forget things.   I empathize with you, it is indeed difficult to get a good nights' sleep.  I have a lot of night sweats, do you? I am not sure if it is the prednisone causing that problem or something else.   Although I put up with plenty of pain over the past two and a half years, I am also suffering the problems associated with tapering off prednisone.  One needs to have lots of patience.  Hope you feel better soon. I never heard of PMR until I was diagnosed with it, then I hear so many with it, so I know I am not alone. 

• Posted

Thanks June, fortunately my GP and rheumatologist have both confirmed the memory issue is caused by the medication and like you the night sweats are a nuisance sometime
    • Posted

I'm glad they have confirmed the memory issue as I had the same problem and now as I lower it has improved greatly. In fact a doctor recently congratulated me on my memory so please take heart. When the problem was at its worst I just relaxed and often I would remember whatever it was much later.

• Posted

It's very reassuring to now know why and that others like yourself have shared the same issue and most importantly it gets better

• Posted

Aha, is this why I am finally starting to be able to beat my son at Scrabble again?  
    • Posted

I knew I was starting to get better when I flogged the ar$es off my family at Xmas time! lol
    • Posted

Yes. I also think part of it is the improvement in concentration which was a problem for me. I felt that the sleep deprivation at higher dosage caused some of this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.