Help tryied everything...doctors stanford no help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with cluster headaches. I've had them for over two and a half years and they have never stopped. Some medicines like verapamil has eased up the worst ones that I constantly have dizziness blurred vision and left facial pain all day everyday.. every doctor in my town even Stanford University has not been able to help me and I just want to get better for my family and myself can you help

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey, I was thinking today as I left work in my way back home. Negative thinking wont help me in this matter, and tomorrow I am going to the doctor!

I refuse to not be able to walk on my own because of my inner fears!

No matter what the doc tells me, am gonna lead a happy life!

• Posted

It is really hard to wake up every morning when you can't see straight I've tried everything that I could and I'm still continuing with Stanford continuing actually with Just Stanford because I can't find out practitioner hear that understands this long story or even has two patients or the time.

• Posted

Hi, I have SUNCT which is related to cluster headache. I too have constant left-sided facial pain, so I know how horrible it can be. Have you looked at the Ouch uk website? They are very good and they have a helpline. There are very few expert doctors and I would recommend a large teaching hospital. Stay strong.
    • Posted

Hi there, I will let Stanford know about this sunct. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you. I will update you when I hear more.
  • Posted

hi allan,

i suffered from cluster headaches for 5 years so i know what you are going through, it is indescribably painful.  the medications doctors prescribe are extremely expensive and and only marginally effective.

cluster headaches are caused by excess histamine production in your body in reaction to food, stress, even changes in the weather.  for some reason our doctors don't seem to know this anymore.

i got rid of my headaches with histamine desensitisation.  this involves subcutaneous injections of diluted pharmaceutical histamine with one of those tiny little syringes into the fatty layer just beneath the skin.  this small amount of histamine seems to kick start ones mast cells(where histamine is made in the body)back into shape.  i am not 100% cured and shall probably have to continue the injections twice a week for the rest of my life, but i have not had a full-blown headache since january.

all allergists have pharmaceutical histamine in stock as they use it as a control substance when doing those allergy prick tests but they use it in far too dilute concentrations in practice, in fact, they don't really use it for anything but a control to make sure that your skin does react to allergens...

search: histamine intollerence, mast cell activation, dr. felix ravikovich

in the mean-time stop eating: white bread, yeast, tomatoes(esp tomato paste, ketchup), alcohol, anything fermented, vinigar, chilis, seeds, fish(esp tinned, anchovies etc), aged cheeses.  but you can drink as much coffee as you like!  it's actually good for you(don't know how many doctors told me to stop...).

then get on the phone and call every allergist in your area and tell them that you want to try histamine desensitisation and see if any will play ball.  the histamine that i inject is at  a concentration of about 1:15 with bacteriostatic water, but each individual is different so you will need to find the correct dosage for you.  i mention this only because allergists usually deal with concentrations around 1:10,000+ and this wasn't strong enough for me to feel much benefit.

the other big plus of this treatment is that histamine is not a drug, there are no side effects whatsoever. ( there is a bout a 1 in a million chance you will get anaphalaxis).

i hope you look into this it could really change your life, it changed mine.

• Posted

Thanks Tony I will definitely look into it. May I ask you if your face on the left side hurts all the time and then the headaches throughout the day I'm not even sure that they are headaches. Stanford seems to think so but I have left side face pain miles in the morning and throughout the day it'll go to really really severe by the end of the day and that is besides the attacks at night which verapamil has helped the major ones now the ones that I have now are different and more of a burn inside my sinus and the back on my head. One more major thing is that after so many of the severe suicide the headaches at night my vision is blurred and is never recovered in two and a half years have you experienced anything with that

• Posted

yes all sounds very familiar, except for me it is was on the right hand side, in the begining it seemed to migrate around a little, but in the end was most painful always around the trigeminal nerve by my temple.  as to the blurred vision, i think maybe that's a side effect from the verapimil...i was given a drug last year that initially stoped the headaches but made me go cross-eyed and blurry-visioned then after a week i totally rebounded and the headaches were worse than ever.  it was a pregabalin i think, i can't remember the name of it.  doctors are really just throwing all sorts of weird drugs at this problem, drugs that were devloped for completely different therapies, have you read the dosage, uses and side effects of verapimil?  i just did, looks pretty scary, it's used to treat angina and blurred vision is one of the adverse side effects listed. you should talk to your doctor about it.  but then it's insane because he will want to start chucking drugs at that problem rolleyes
    • Posted

Hey Tony. The blurry vision confusion started after too many attacks before I had seen a doctor. I know cluster headaches are not supposed too cause brain damage but after suffering so long and all symptoms have been since attacks i can't rule out they caused them. I just want to see straight and think straight again. All doctors look at me like I'm crazy. Horrible to know in 10 hours I'm going to be in miserable pain. Starts light when I wake and gets worse throughout the day. Dizziness confusion severe from wake and never lets up!
  • Posted

Hi Allan

Are you sure its cluster headaches, I have just been cured of them fingers crossed after 3yrs of never going more than 6 weeks without one, usually daily for months at a time, and I would get the blurred vision and facial pain during an attack but fine once the pain had drained although after a bad attack my head would be sore for days as if i had been belted with a baseball bat.

I have been prescribed verapamil 1 x 120mg tablet a day which could be increased up to 4 a day but since taking the 1 a day I have been 6 months free of them , maybe your dose could be increased as it does seem to help ?

I wish you luck

• Posted

Using this site has given me a headache!

Allen, what you said about it being on the left side of your head caught my eye. For me it would start as if the left side of my face was tensed up until it hurt. Even the wind moving through my hair would hurt my scalp.

An old injury on the top of my head would ache as if it just happened. This would only happen in spring and fall, between 8pm and 2am, making me realize it was somehow sun related.

That was at first, then it became constant for months at a time.

After many hours of searching and hospital visits I found a cure (for me and I hope for some of you). There is a cause for all I believe and any kind of medication is just covering the symptoms.

People who haven't experienced this can never understand the pain, even though they think they do. For me it was as if every night someone would come in and smash me in the head with a hammer.

The amounts of different medications doctors threw at me were criminal. It wasn't until I talked to a podiatrist I knew personally and suggested after MANY hours of research that I thought is was my vitamin D levels.

I suggest every person has their vitamin levels checked. I believe doctors are scamming people by never checking these for many many ailments...just covering the symptoms with multiple return visits.

My vitamin D level was almost non exisistant. 30,000 mils prescription for 2 weeks and 1000 mils 5 days a week after, it's been 3 years pain free.

Be careful taking too much vitamin D...it can damage your kidneys if not done properly. For that...you need blood tests.

• Posted

I had more to say, but didn't want to lose my reply in this glitchy site.

Besides the symptoms described above, the pain on the left side of my face was only the warning sign that the real pain was coming. The left eye, ear, and even my teeth would ache.

Spent thousands on dental work to rule that out (replaced all my old metal fillings, etc), eye glasses.

I was actually searching for a site that I responded on years ago before I figured out the cause of my headaches. In that site people described the same exact symptoms.

In reply to the confusion mentioned above...I'd forgotten about that. Even while I was inbetween the headaches, I'd find something as simple as reading a map difficult. I'd see where I wanted to go on the map, but still couldn't figure out if I wanted to make a left or a right.

If what I've written here helps even one person, it was worth suffering through replying on this site! frown

• Posted

Hi Jimmy, wow so many things caught MY eye from what you have said. I hope I can remember them all. First is I too cracked my head open twice; at age 8 and 22 years old. I feel the pain strike like lightning during the day few times a week. So many things the same for us. Baseball bat hits are controlled so far with 600mgs of verapamile. Since taking this attacks are different and kinda make me into a zombie with jaw dropping. I have had teeth pulled upper left to try to stop night attacks before verapamil. They did tests and vitamin d deficiency not horrible. Take 2000 a day. I too shouldn't drive. Can't figure out how to get even to local stores. I have to use Google maps. Stanford doctors and local doctors seem to just want me to come back all the time everything I suggest from this website or from googling they say please leave it till the next appointment. Then when I get up there they hear me say something but they do nothing about it and charge me copay I worry about adjusting my own medicine but I would like to try vitamin D but they don't seem to care about my suggestions. Stanford University is almost four hour drive one way 8 hours round trip my wife has to drive in because I'll probably get in an accident and I keep telling them that it's too expensive to keep going up there if we can't get any results. Too bad you weren't a doctor and we're able to call them and tell them because your descriptions there was even a lot more that describes what I feel and the vitamin D helping and stopping it is amazing
    • Posted

I don't have a primary doctor because I left the last one and tried another one and they kind of act like I'm crazy which it feels like it does drive me crazy. I'm afraid that I am on too much verapamil. I do believe and know that the Sun hurts my face any kind of heat even my own hand close to my face not touching causes pain
    • Posted

Did the doctor prescribe the vitamin? I have over the counter only and want to try it.
    • Posted

I won't advise stopping the meds you are talking...I'd hate to see your situation get worse. Yes, the doctors also acted all smug like they knew their "guesses" were better than any suggestion I had. The just brushed them off and tried a new medication.

At one point I was taking between 30 to 40 tylenol a day. They asked if I was trying to kill myself. My answer to them...."if I set you on fire and the only water around was radioactive pool of water...would you jump in it?".

They still didn't get it (idiots). It wasn't until they wittnessed an attack that they understood...somewhat.

I would sort of do the breathing of a woman giving birth, rocking back and forth.

I avoided the sun also. It would penitrate my hair and burn the old injury. In my work truck I installed an extra sun visor on the side, and got sunglasses with thick sides to block the sun.

My theory about the sun...during spring my vitamin D production level would rise and in that specific zone I'd get the headaches until they rose past that level. In the fall they would drop and go through the same zone...again, a headache until they fell below that level.

You said you levels weren't terrible...maybe you are stuck in that zone.

A warning though...I discoved too much vitamin D damages your kidneys because I also took 2000 mils a day (after the prescription ran out). I felt pain in the kidneys and googled. Doctors hate patients who mention google...google makes a better doctor, they're jealous and resentful. And they use google too, lol.

• Posted

"Did the doctor prescribe the vitamin? I have over the counter only and want to try it."

Yes, and only because it was someone I knew personally. He ordered the tests...and BINGO!.

If I had to do it over again...I'd go to a wellness clinic. I hear they listen, and the first thing they do is to check and correct vitamin levels for any problem. Proper vitamin and mineral levels are like a firm foundation, then build from there.

• Posted

"What do u think got rid of the vision confusion?"

It was linked to the vitamin issue. Was the confusion a byproduct of the headaches doing damage, or directly related to low vitamin D...I'll never know. But I'm now 100%.

The confusion really hit home when my cell phone rang and I had trouble figuring out how to answer it.

I should mention...I think there is big diffence between prescription vitamin D and over the counter vitamin D. The prescription kind was tiny. Taking the equivalent of the over the counter kind would probably cause total kidney failure (30,000 mils).

I understand your frustration getting them listen. I had the same problem with gall stones until it almost killed me. I pretty much threatened a doctor to give me sonagram of my gall bladder.

About a dozen doctors and much suffering they all insisted I had an ulser.

Yes, diagnosed by google also. When I looked that last doctor dead in the eye and said, "I know it's gallstones and I want it OUT!!!". I definitely scared him. It was so satifying when he sheepishly asmitted I was right.

He did a terrific job removing my gall bladder. I eat what and how I like.

So, what would be my best advise. If you don't know a doctor...try a wellness clinic. I've heard really good things about them, but they may not be covered by insurance, which might be expensive. Which is a shame, because from what I hear...they listen and start from the ground up instead of just treating the symptons.

Treating syptoms is a sure way to have a repeat customer and write prescriptions, for which they are rewarded by pharmacutical companies. They don't want you cured, just "managed".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.