help with zopiclone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I have been given 3.75mg of zopiclone for my insomnia. I don't like taking meds due to control issues and have heard so many horror stories regarding this pill. Can anyone tell me what to expect if I take it.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Do NOT TAKE IT. Try something else if you can. My husband started out at 3.75 mg, is now taking 21 mg. It started innocently enough, but now he is having severe brain issues. He is going to have to start weaning himself off which is not going to be easy. He has had every test known to man to try and figure out why he is having this brain pain....nothing physically wrong, so it has been determined that it is addiction to zopiclone. Please, for your own sake, do not take zopiclone. It can become addictive in less than a week.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I still can't understand how a doctor can prescribe that much zopiclone! Did he know that your husband was probably self medicaing, that would be the start of his downward spiral? I don't think the doctor knew at the time, your husband didn't follow the directions after a while did he? Taking that much zopiclone, no wonder he's having problems, every time he takes it he's OD ing. Try to see a respectable physician that deals with addiction, a 28 day program is out of the question. Your husband, HAS TO be weaned off the drug. Sounds like a hospital  stay to regulate his withdrawl and beat this drug? Good luck again.
    • Posted

The doctor knew exactly what was going on. My husband (with the doctor's help) was trying to calm the pain in his head to allow him to sleep. Noone suspected that the pain was the result of the dependence on zopiclone.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I don't know the history of your situation and I wasn't trying to pontificate, sorry if it seemed that way. I's just an enigma how your doctor could do something like this and why he did? Hope you and your husband find a solution to the problem, good luck!!
    • Posted

How did you get off the zop. The Wikipedia site  says go to Valium. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have another test on Saturday to rule out any other cause of the brain pain, but I think it will be the same as all the other tests. Not a physical problem. So next week, we have to try the weaning process. I know there;s not an easy way, but what could he take to relieve some of the effects of withdrawal. 
  • Posted

Dont even start them, try anything else, but you will become dependant on them for sure
  • Posted

Hi Stephen, I agree with other replies, please don't take them. They certainly knock you (not natural sleep) but soooo addictive. They rob your memory, affect cognitive function, take heed Linda 'so sad story. So many horror stories, I was convicted of drug driving 7 years ago and too this day I can't recall what happened. Good sleep hygiene and remember that everyone has sleepless nights occasionally. I have bouts of no sleep for 72+ hours but that's okay. I learned the hard way, please don't take them. Wishing you good sense and peace.
  • Posted

Hi  if you want to come of them and withdraw properly, Google the Ashton plan.  It's a Valium withdrawal plan, but you need to do it with your doctor.  If he's not familiar ask him to google it too.   Many people on this site have used this method and written about it previously.  Professor Heather ashton devised it. It applies to all the Z drugs. 

also, get in touch with the. council for information on tranquillisers and anti ddepressants.  CITA.  They have all the information you need and can give advice on the ashton plan.  

Personally, I have never heard of anyone having brain problems while taking  zopiclone.

• Posted

Thanks Vivan....we're sure going to try it. I will keep you posted. There was only one other person on this forum that had similar brain problems and I have asked her how long it took to get refief from the symptoms.  We have ruled out everything but the zoplicone as the problem. MRI, CT Scan, bone scan, utlrasound....all are fine. Tried acupuncture, botox, pain clinics, seen cardiologist, neurologist. So we can only think it must be the zop. I will document the Ashton process and post the results on this forum in the hopes that someone else can benefit from the experience. Again, thanks for the info....there is hope.
  • Posted

I am not going back into my history but at one time was taking 7 (7.5) a night.  Began weaning down and am now at 1 a nite with no symptoms at all.  Guess i am lucky.  been on them for over l0 years but decided enough was enough.  At one time I cheated and took more than supposed to so for two nights had to take half a pill but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.  don't ask me why i went back up but that is addiction. I am prescribed two months at a time but can only pick up from pharmacy one week at a time.  I was so anxious abut coming down off them but some of the other discussion groups i in we very positive discussions where many of them came down to half and gave me much hope.  Think a lot of it is how you mentally think about it.  I just remained calm and took my pill and went to bed without panicking and eventually fell asleep.  woke up lots but always dozed back. keep perserving, it gets better but I do wish i had never gone on them but now i see the end of the rainbow so definitely know very soon will be off them.  good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.