Hemorrhoidectomy recovery - 3 weeks in and it does get better

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today marks 3 weeks since my hemorrhoidectomy so I wanted to share my experience in case it is useful. I certainly found after my procedure I spent a lot of time searching the internet to find out what was “normal” by scrolling through online forums so i would have found some of this useful myself.

I'm a 38 YO male and I had a hemorrhoidectomy after years of having issues with hemorrhoids. I originally was expecting to be going in for banding so was surprised that my hemorrhoids had gotten so bad they felt a hemorrhoidectomy was the best option.

After a few months it was finally time to have the procedure. My surgeon did warn me of the pain post surgery and did tell me to mentally prepare myself for that (however you do that!). Immediately after the surgery I felt fine and gave the nurse a pain score of 1 out of 5. However, the GA was still in my system so it wasn’t a huge surprise. I was discharged that evening and was grateful to be at home.

The next day was a different story as the pain kicked in and so I took the opioid painkillers which helped. I also had my first bowel movement which was painful but the laxative helped. However, I can’t sugar-coat the first few days, they were really rough. I had pain in that region all the time, although it was improved with the painkillers. I also had random spasms throughout the day which were really unpleasant. Of course bowel movements were painful and did often bleed. I became quite anxious at the thought of needing the loo.

After a few days I realised I had been doing things wrong. I had been eating normally, as advised by my surgeon, but I actually should have been on a soft food/liquid diet and small quantities. Once I did that my stools were much easier and also helped by stool softeners (I found laxatives gave me diarrhea which was really painful at the begining). As i mentioned I did also have the fear of going to the loo so I did also eat a lot less to ensure that bowel movements were relatively small although you do need to make sure you eat to keep things moving.

One thing everyone advices is a bath after a bowel movement and I can’t recommend that enough. I have never spent so much time in the bath but it definitely helps sooth the area. For this reason alone it is unrealistic to think you can work for the first two weeks at least.

As I reached the week mark the pain was more reserved for bowel movements and the immediate aftermath. It would usually mean 2-3 hours of pain after the bowel movement which would later subside with the assistance of over the counter painkillers and as long as I didn’t have to go again. Each day I saw an improvement though and the pain was decreasing.

By the second week I was a lot better and the pain following a bowel movement was not so prolonged. Between the 2 and 3 week mark my fear of going to the loo had more or less gone. Yes it could still be painful after a bowel movement but the pain was only short lived – perhaps 15 - 30 mins. However, I was still taking stool softeners to help. I had however more or less gone back to my normal diet although I continued to drink a lot of water (that is so important throughout your recovery!).

I am 3 weeks post op and feeling a lot better. There are a few things that I would tell anyone getting this procedure which I wish I knew beforehand:

Discharge – this is one of the most unpleasant aftermaths of the surgery and not one I was really told about. It is definitely worthwhile buying some panty liners to help protect your underwear. I never thought I’d end up having to ask my wife if I could use hers! Unfortunately this is still going on 3 weeks in but can be the case for 1 - 2 months apparently.

Diet – as I said above it it’s important to be sensible with your diet, especially at the beginning. I stuck to warm Weetabix (to make them soft) and soup. You must also drink plenty of water throughout the day which also has the added bonus of filling you up so you don’t feel quite so hungry.

Squatty potty – this was a brilliant purchase I wish I had made before the operation. I can’t recommend this enough as it just makes your bowel movements that much easier and helps prevent unnecessary pushing.

Listen to your body - It is important to rest so if your body wants to sleep in the middle of the day don't resist it. However, I would also encourage trying to get into a routine of getting up and getting dressed after a few days as it makes you feel better.

The last thing to say is not to get too obsessed over how things feel down there, especially at the beginning. You will be swollen and likely have stiches you can feel so it might feel a bit odd but it will calm down so don’t panic!

If you are at the beginning of your recovery or about to have a hemorrhoidectomy just remember it does get better. In the early days you can worry it won’t improve but it does and you will begin to notice improvements everyday.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

what grade were your hemorrhoids? mine are grade 4, thrombosed piles which are so painful i cannot do anything but lie down.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are in a lot of pain - they are awful aren't they.

I was never told the grade but my surgeon just described them as very large, which is why I didn't have much choice but to have the full hemorrhoidectomy.

Have you been given any options around what can be done to help you?

• Edited

I'm holding onto good stories like this. i have mine op Tuesday, literally 3 days ago. things seemed to be ok until Thursday night having a blinding headache, i was trying a liquid diet as i know how painful it will be to go the toilet. since trying to have a bowel movement, I'm suffering. it was only a small poop, but i was sweating like crazy, overheating, almost passed out, feel sick, hard to pass gas, had about 7 baths today. genuinely feel sick to my stomach with bloating and not eating proper food since before the op. now trying to sleep while feeling sick, the spams have started, and so has the random burning. cant wait to relieve myself all over again tomorrow after tanking up on prune juice and lactulose. this is really the worst right now. 😭

• Posted

Hey,

You're definitely at the hardest stage right now but things should start to improve over the next few days and then everyday after that it will become more noticeable.

It definitely sounds like you are doing the right thing with your diet and having the baths - i had so many at the beginning.

Try and stay positive as its easy to feel down but it is only temporary.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Scott

• Edited

Thanks!

I've literally just managed to have a big BM by standing with one foot on the toilet and going from there. just pushing through, not exactly painful but pushing through the pressure it was soft thankfully. freaked out my other half when he saw how much blood was all over the toilet and on me. i have a feeling today is going to be the day of many toilet trips. not looking forward, but better out then in and i have ny liquid morphine.

and I'm finally feeling hungry!

• Posted

How are you doing now? Hopefully you are over the worst of it and can see some improvements everyday.

I'm almost 6 weeks now and I feel pretty much back to normal.

• Edited

hi!!

I'm doing better thanks, regular BMs not too painful now. had some terrible bloating last week my week 3. cut out prune juice and now its gone.

no bleeding, a little sore if i have more then one BM.

i may have a little hole or fistula i am not sure, it isn't that painful or oozy, a little , and doesn't smell.image

sorry looks a little mucky hadn't cleaned up then.

• Posted

Great to hear you are doing well and sorry it has taken so long to come back to you. Hopefully you are feeling pretty much back to normal.

I found bowl movements quite uncomfortable for a while but no pain afterwards. Definitely good to keep up lots of fluid to help.

I had something similar to you a few weeks in but it healed by my follow-up appointment at 6 weeks. Have you had your follow-up yet?

• Posted

Read your post and wanted to chime in. I've battled hemorrhoids for many years and decided I was finally going to do something about them.

On January 18th I had a standard colonoscopy scheduled and my gastrointerologist was going to band 2 of the 3 hemorrhoids i was battling. Everything went fine during the procedure, I went home standard recovery Sitz Baths, water, stool softeners and soup. But Friday evening during a Sitz Bath I passed gas and the bands came off. Left me with 2 large prolapsed hemorrhoids, went to the ER on Saturday but nothing happened. My Gastroenterologist set me up with a Colorectal Surgeon on Monday, that day the Surgeon performed an Emergency Hemorrhoidectomy on one of the Hemorrhoids that was prolapsed and becoming Thrombosed.

That was January 22nd, I'm 3 1/2 weeks into recovery and it has been hell to say the least. Totally true it gets better everyday after the first week. Spasms and feeling of incomplete bms is the norm for 3 weeks as you recover.

So far I'm having better bms with only mild discomfort, and right now my bms do affect the other hemorrhoids i still have, and I will ultimately have to figure out a plan to take care of those.

This procedure is not for the faint of heart, but as you all know once hell is over it gets so much better.

• Posted

I waited since before Covid for this op and had it on Tuesday this week, an open haemaroidectomy. The surgery went well had a spinal anaesthetic so was awake through it. They numbed me and added local anaesthetic as well. Was discharged home and once everything wore off the fun started. Codeine didn't work so had to get stronger painkillers which did help to a degree. First night was hell no sleep just spasms and pain. On Laxido which gave me trapped wind to start. 2nd night slept OK then...it happened the first BM. I experienced what can only be described as pain that is of a level never had before and I've had 2 children. I felt all hot and nauseous after. Day3 was again ok the pain meds helped but always the wee niggle down there. During the night another BM again the excruciating pain and feeling sick after. I have been having, sitz baths, showers and applying sudocream as well and wearing rather glamorous disposable pants just for comfort and hygiene. This is day 4 not expecting miracles and reading others experiences helps me greatly. I knew would be painful and it's all about finding the best ways to cope and as time goes on should improve. This operation is serious and comes with a lot of pain, discomfort, emotions and thinking will this ever get better. The support of others and experiences will help just knowing not the only one going through it 🙂

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I'd say you've probably got another 2 weeks of misery before it starts to improve - but it will.

keep up the Sitz baths and stay positive.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.