Hernia backache

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

​I have what I would call a bobbly stomach (If that makes sense) When I am lying flat it is perfect, however when I stand or start doing anything strenuous then it bloats and distends and feels bobbly. This is mainly above my belly button but sometimes either side of the naval.

I will sometimes but not always suffer from middle upper backache.

I am overweight so cannot feel a lump as people normally do with a hernia. Also coughing does not seem to make it worse either.

Ive not lost weight, got a great appetite and do not suffer acid reflux etc.

​Any ideas on what type of Hernia I may have if any. I do have a recti distatis which my doctor diagnosed several months ago

​Thanks 

Cheers

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I decided to take a peek at what you may have written that didn't gather any responses. When I "got" my hernia I was out shopping and had a severe pain near my belly button. It made my head a little dizzy from the amount of pain and I sat down. After about 20 minutes it subsided. I did notice a little bulge right above my belly button. I am overweight, but that didn't hide it. Once I got home I realized I could push that little bulge back where it belonged and it would stay there until I laughed or coughed. I saw the surgeon and he said it could wait until I got back to my own country to do the surgery (I was in India at the time). But since I was living in India, I had it taken care of there. No real incision was made, just small holes (requiring no more than 6 stitches in different locations) and a mesh thing was spread out to stop the hernia from pushing through. But there are many different types of hernias. And because they can lead to more serious problems, I recommend you go get it checked out. Perhaps the bobbly stomach is something related to an infection.
  • Posted

Thanks Moandrieu,

​I have been to my doctor and he diagnosed Recti distatis. I was also given ful blood test and all was good here as well.

​What made me think hernia was because when I lie flat on my back my stomach is perfect, if I lie on my left side then I can feel the wobbly stomach if this makes sense. When I get up I can feel it. Also I do get really bloated by the end of the day, but again as soon as I lie down it all dissappears.

​I am more curious than anyhing

• Posted

Definitely interesting situation. I hope you get some leads in what it may be.

-Mo

• Posted

Hello again Mark you need to talk to your doctor,  the best person to give you a diagnosis or send you to a consultant.  If you do have hernia disease they will advise you what to do.  As a person who has undergone hernia surgery I would advise you not to rush into it as they are too many pitfalls.  I wish I had played the waiting game, hope you get sorted soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.