Herpes nerve pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with hsv2. I have luckily never experienced an outbreak. But I am experiencing nerve pain down my leg into my foot. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions and how to handle HSV induced nerve pain? Traditional pain medications, such as ibuprofen, don't seem to help any. I don't have any insurance to get a prescription meds. So I'm seeking any home remedies, or any helpful advice at all? Thanks

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

You're definitely very lucky that you've never had an outbreak you better go knock on wood I was actually complaining about the same thing today I think somebody told me that your sciatic nerve. And I actually went onto the internet and I found a couple of stretches that can actually help it because I sit down all day work and I can't stay without hurting and I cannot lay without hurting the only relief I have is actually standing up and that doesn't really work for me. I would maybe take some ibuprofen if you could see if that would relieve it some maybe 4 to 6 hours I keep the levels up in your body
  • Posted

Hi, I have this same issue.  Twitching in my calves that leads to pain in my calves.  I also experience twitching in my buttocks and pain my thighs.  I have never had a traditional OB as well.  I just get weird red bumps on my butt, thighs, and lower back.  Do you get these bumps as well? 

I would recommend taking a good multi-vitamin to get the vitamin b's.  I also take powdered magnesium and powdered calcium.  A naturopath recommended this to me for nerve issues.  It does seem to help.

• Posted

Yes I have the same bumps, they look like pimples and don't really hurt, they don't ulcerate and eventually go away on their own. Vitamins do sound like a good idea, thank you for the advice. Ibuprofen doesn't seem to help with the pain. But, I feel lucky if this is as bad as it gets for me.
    • Posted

If you don't mind could you take a look at one of my posts.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/red-bumps-persist-butt-and-back-pictures-attached--495058 ;

Sorry they are a bit graphic (I am a male btw), but I am trying to figure out if this is H.  My primary, my dermatologist (I fired him), and an NP at Planned Parenthood said this is not H.  I disagree. I never had these types of bumps in my life until just after breaking up with some with H and now all these weird symptoms.  Are your bumps similar?  I test positive HSV1 Herpes Select.  I also test positive low HSV2 for this same test, but when I took the Western Blot, I was negative HSV2.  I think I have some weird strain of HSV1 Genital wreaking havoc on my nervous system.  It's very confusing.

• Posted

You should insist on having a swab test done. Blood work will not show the herpes virus until usually 3 months after infection. Just because it doesn't look like it, or you don't think it is, does not mean it's not herpes. That was the last thing in the world I thought my diagnosis would be. I have never shown any typical signs of herpes, and the doctor even initially thought it wasn't. Turns out I have type 2 and I have just been asymptomatic. So even if it doesn't present as a typical herpes, you should have a swab test done in a few months have your blood work retested. You can always go to your local health clinic seeing as you don't have a primary right now
    • Posted

It's been 9 months since my exposure.  On my last visit to my primary she still said it was not h, but she did reluctantly give me the name of a dermatologist that will do a biopsy/swab if I ask.  I am planning to take a special blood test with Dr. Halsford's new company at the end of March.  He is a leading researcher in H (hopefully he will have a vaccine soon), but he says his blood test should be conclusive for me.

Were you able to get your red bumps swabbed?  If so, did they come back positive?  Or were you just dx'd via a blood test?

• Posted

I have the herpes virus whenever I get run down. Recently had a labia lesion which I burst myself but since then I've had a rash in my armpits and now a recurrent stabbing pain in my inner left thigh with an uncomfortable touch to the skin around the area. It all feels like nerve endings and didn't associate it with the hpv.

Walking or standing up usually alleviates the pain. Haven't tried painkillers yet.

• Posted

Hi I have the same thing: I’ve never had nerve pains like this in my legs, buttocks and thighs. I know 100% it’s from the HSV2 I caught a few weeks ago. Shortly after this I caught a cold so I’m trying to build my immune system up! You’re not going crazy it’s definitely HSV2. I read that it’s similar to shingles in that its a virus which lives in nerve endings. 
  • Posted

I use Gabapentin for my nerve pain that I get with HSV-2, it helps quite a bit.
  • Posted

Omg I have the same nerve pain on my bum, thighs and legs, I don't have outbreaks but I get the pain every week. It worries me because I'm scared it's prodromal but surely it can't be if it's every week? It's making me so down, people play down the virus but I can't have this nerve pain for the rest of my life 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.