Hi I woke up with primary ms may 1 2010.is this common

Posted , 4 users are following.

When I wokeup the left side of my body was numb,doctor thoughtI had a stroke. Had a brain scan nothing there, had an MRI lots or lesion,my doctor still did not believe it could happen that fast. Had a spinal taps,had rings in fluid so was told I had primary progessive ms. I was 58 then I will be 63 in december. Is this common 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not sure,I am 51 was diagnosed when I was 45 they say rrms,had 2 flare ups back to back and decided this is not how I will live my life and changed diet drastically and have not had anything since,I am also on Avonex and select vitamins but will not let this beat me
    • Posted

What diet change did you go for. I have chosen a bit from a few different ones ie low saturated fats, low refined sugars, high fruit and veg, and pretty much cutting out most dairy. Still eat meats and upped my fish intake. Interesting to know what others do.
    • Posted

I added a cup of aloe vera juice aday seems to be helping. Have stayed the same pretty well aswhen I was first diagnosed. badlegcramps last night
    • Posted

Avonex is a disease modified drug weekly injection,they say it will reduce relapses by 30-40 %
    • Posted

I do not think I can have it because I have orimary m.s. so they say it I do not qualify to get it.

• Posted

Hi, it was a pretty nasty diet ehen I started but it gets easier,I eat no beef or pork,some chicken or turkey but mostly different fish, no dairy quite a raw type diet with nits and seeds.lots of fruit and veggies, I juice every morning and toss on about 1 lb of mixed veggies and fruit and that is my breakfast,I found I was really missing snacks so now I take almonds and soak in lime juice then drain and sprinkle and toss with chilli powder and roast in over at about 150 celsius for a few hrs,toss around as not to burn and when I am craving something I have a few of those
    • Posted

Ok that sounds quite strict...did you find that your symptoms reversed at all?
    • Posted

I still have numbness in right foot bit thst is it, nothing since everything else I recovered from, I am active busy MS does not flow me down
  • Posted

Hi Jo-ann, the answer to your question is, yes it is common to have undiagnosed MS for long periods of time. Brain scans are not always effective enough, MRIs are. I do not think you just jumped to progressive ms, usually what happens is that you had relapsing for a long time but did not have any symptoms that caused to you see a doctor until the point that the relapsing turned into progressive.  I had MS likely for 15 years before I was diagnosed, have many lesions but function pretty well. My best advice is to take care of your heath and get into as good physical shape as possible. It is easier to handle if you are lean and mean ! 
    • Posted

A few months ago I was given a nerve block for pain in my leg it has worked awesome ask your dr about it
    • Posted

I hate to get nerve blosks when I onlt get the once or twice a week. I am drinking more green tea,taking cacium and drinking aloe vera juice
  • Posted

i have two sister- in- laws with m.s. one hase had it for 30 tears and is a wheel chair, the other one was diagnosed after me but is in worse shape. I is nice to be on a disscusion board and not hearall doom and gloom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.