Hiatal Hernia Symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all smile

So a few months ago, I had an endoscopy that showed a 2cm hiatal hernia. Since then I have been experiencing symptoms that I believe are possibly due to the hernia. My GI told me that at 2cm, the hernia should not cause me much pain/discomfort. I am starting to become doubtful of that assertion, however.

Here is what I have been experiencing:

1.) A dull ache at the base of the sternum, right around the xiphoid process cartilage. This comes and goes and I have not been able to link it to any physical activity or particular foods. When I am experiencing this pain, the bottom ribs to either side of the base of the sternum are also tender and sore.

2.) At the base of the sternum, right around the xiphoid process, I will also sometimes feel a "pressure." When I gently press the area, I will feel a slight shift and "hear" a small popping sound. No one else can hear it, however. It is almost as if I can hear it internally only.

3.) Even though the endoscopy showed very minor, reflux-related inflammation that has healed as far as my GI is concerned, there are times when my esophagus feels "kinked" or "stiff." For example, if I lay down on my back (even on an inclined, reflux-friendly bed) I will get a thudding/popping feeling at the top of my esophagus (bottom of throat) whenever I swallow. If I lay on my right side, the same feeling and thudding occurs. However, if I lay on my left side? NOTHING. Is this because the hernia is pushing on my esophagus except for when my stomach is positioned below my esophagus while laying on my left side?

4.) When I sit on my weightlifting bench at a 70% angle and do bicep curls, I can feel a slight shift at the base of my sternum as well. Is this also the hernia? My GI did suggest I stay away from cruches and sit-ups or lifting heavyyyy weights.

I am basically looking for some advice from people who have had experience with a hiatal hernia. Do these symptoms sound familiar? Am I dealing with a sliding hernia?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and advice!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have a hiatal hernia witch makes me sick to my stomach it hurts so bad that I want to cry i have a lot of pain and discomfort with my hernia and i get very nauseous and my stomach hurts
    • Posted

That must be terrible, I'm sorry sad

And how large is it? Has a doctor told you? Recommended surgery?

• Posted

I have acid reflux disease very bad and the surgeon toldme im eventually going to have surgery i have more testing to do and after that might be surgery
    • Posted

So it must be a rather large hernia ... possibly 5+ cm? sad

My GI told me that 2cm and below is considered completely treatable without surgery. So yours must be larger than that for certain. Do you burp a lot when you drink? That is something I have been noticing more and more. Even non-carbonated drinks like water or almond milk cause burping.

• Posted

Me too!  I’m constant discomfort and my endoscopy showed a small HH but dr says it’s not big enough To be causing all the problems I’m describing.  I was completely floored by his dismissive attitude.   I’ve tried the PPIs and I’ve been off all gluten and sugar and dairy for almost 4 months.  I now have almost no appetite no do I drink much of anything at all.  I’ve lost about 30 pounds and I’m sure will continue to lose.  When I sit or recline or am up walking around doing my daily activities I just feel like my stomach is coming up through my throat and the pain in the direct middle of my chest through my back is incredible.  My left should blade hurts. I hurt under and around my rib cage.  When I bend over I feel as tho my stomach is going to come up my throat and out my mouth.  I constantly have a huge lump in the back of my throat that is right at the point of the gag reflex and it makes me want to gag. I’m just at my wits end.  I want this repaired so I can go in with my life. 
    • Posted

Im the same way im to the point that i cant take it anymore im done with everything i want to throw up plus I get very nauseous and my stomach hurts so bad that I want to cry i cant take it anymore im done with it
    • Posted

It is interesting that you said your left shoulder blade hurts. For the last few months since I was diagnosed and all this started, my left shoulder blade has periods of tingling/numbness. I am not sure if it is related, even though prior to all this starting, I never had any odd feelings in my left shoulder blade. Very interesting.

The bottom of my rib care is often tender as well. Certainly difficult to deal with.

• Edited

OMG... I'm having the same shoulder blade pain. I feel like I've had shortness of breath now for about 8 months. About a month ago I started noticing a tightness in my chest inside my rib cage and pain that seemed to be there 85% of the time and the pain got worse with mental stress, anger, or anxiety. About a week and a half went by and the shoulder blade pain started and the blood flow seemed to weaken in my left arm where my arm is easy to fall asleep in normal situations like sitting at a desk which never seemed to happen before. I started to think I better get this checked out as I was worried it could be heart related. I ended up in the hospital for observation I had an imaging stress test and numerous EKGs and all indications my heat and blood pressure is fine. Nitroglycerin, aspirin and taking 2 different medications for blood pressure for 2 weeks did nothing. I've now been having this chest pain for about 4 weeks and seems to be SLIGHTLY better since starting to take 40mg Pantoprazole once a day for acid reflux about 2 weeks ago. I went in for an endoscopy a few days ago and found that I have hiatal hernia. I'm feeling pretty confident now that this is the source of all the issues I've been having. I'm a 43 year old "strong like BULL" male and this crap has me screwed up feeling weak and no energy to do anything. What do we do now? I have a follow-up appointment with my GI doc July 6th to go over the endoscopy results. I don't feel any tenderness anywhere externally.

• Edited

These symptoms are exactly the same as mine and I also have a 2cm sliding hernia which they claimed would not give me major symptoms. More recently i've been getting this werid buzzing or vibrating feeling in my chest. I've spoken to a surgeon who just put me off having the surgery as the complications could be even worse. Did you ever resolve the issues? Aware this post is 4 years old..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.