Hiatus Hernia - Coughing - CKD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone its been sometime since I have been on here but I now have  a few questions you may have the answers to.

Having been diagnosed with a HH and been on Lansaprozole for some time now my acid problem seems to have become worse just recently and I am now having to back up the tablets with Gaviscon during the night.This week I returned to see my doctor and told him the problem and all he said was that I needed to lose some weight. I,m 16st 5 -10" .

He made it quite clear that he wouldn't recommend surgery but I think thats is based on economics ie NHS funding rather than practicalities.

Anyway one of the questions I have is having a HH can you develop a cough as for the last week or so I have had one but would you believe failed to mention it to my doctor. I think its  a case of being conscious of how little time each patient is allotted.

The other question I have is as anyone due to their medication ever acquired Chronic Kidney Disease because having had two blood tests it appears that my creatinine levels are high and I have read that certain medications could cause this. All and any advice would be very welcomed.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had a 5cm sliding hiatal hernai for 4 years now when it's up things are bad loads of issues coughing pan in left or right side of chest sometimes 

naseua my dr also does not recommend surgery only as a last resort saynwith my physical line of work it would just blow itself out again I am at a loss for any advice for you as I have sometimes daily issue with I just work through them without worrying that it's is something esle image been check for everything even my heart. At the beginning of the years 

good luck 

• Posted

Hi Ted. Yes it's very normal to get a cough with a HH especially in the morning and if you get heartburn and reflux. You might like to try slippery elm powder for some relief of your acid problems. One to two teaspoons in a smoothie will help. It may take a couple of days but it does help. As far as I'm aware there are no side effects to it. Very small meals at night and nothing between meals except water will keep your stomach contents down better especially at night.

Some medications do affect kidney function. Go online and look up what you take and it will tell you whether what you are taking affect the kidneys.

Hope this is of some help biggrin

• Posted

Thanks Judith I posted another question now but I will try SEP as you suggest. In fact it may be the answer to my new question as well. Ted
  • Posted

hi ive been told ive got a hh  my ferretin in my blood is low and iron difficency could this be why ive got this problem thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.