How I cured my acid reflux, naturally.

Posted , 202 users are following.

Hi:  It seems like there are many more people suffering from acid reflux than ever before.  Professionals offer only medications and surgery.  I have suffered from acid reflux on and off for some 20 years.  After much research and meditation on how the esophageal sphincter functions, I discovered a low cost solution.  Two or three times a day I drink orange flavored carbonated mineral water.  After drinking it, I hold back the burp for 3 to 5 minutes, sometimes longer.  Then burp the air out.  Make sure to always do this right before bed.  This forces the esophageal sphincter to work hard to hold down the increasing air pressure.  It is the only way to strengthen this muscle.  After nearly 2 years of nexium,  I am now completely off acid blockers and only take a sip of water with sodium bicarbonate before bed, just for protrection. Please try this and let me know if you also find relief from acid reflux.  I hope you do.  Regards, John

34 likes, 866 replies

866 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi john this is just what I needed to read. I have only been suffering for 6 months and I don't really want to start taking medication but I have come to the conclusion that I may have to . That is Until I read your story . How long did it take before you started to show some significant changes. Thanks for sharing x
    • Posted

Thanks john Did you by any chance suffer from globus ( feeling of a lump in your throat but no lump or inflammation is present )
    • Posted

No, I did not have that symptom.  I hope you can find a solution.  If I find any information on that, I will contact you.  Regards
    • Posted

Claire my Globus thing is improving dramatically already.. From Sunday. I barely can feel the lump thing now..

I have made sure to eat earlier.. And I've been eating a good jot of live yogurt too. And trying to burp a lot has helped..

• Posted

Where do you get the flavored carbonated water?  What is the brand?
    • Posted

Most grocery stores will sell this product.  I get mine at Trader Joes, store brand.  Or Crystal Geyser. 
    • Posted

Hi Claire - I am new on this particular forum but not to the site.

I have had chronic gastritis on and off for 5 or 6 years - camera confirmed this and PPIs followed.  I altered my diet to reduce citrus and acid foods and it was so much better.

I use a high speed blender to make green juices with fresh fruit which seems to sit well.

I can go for a couple of months with no problem, I don't even take ant acids. And I am ok with alcohol unless I go too far on several night then it starts again.  I have a recurrence at the moment after having some tinned salmon with cottage cheese and I used some Apple Cider Vinegar in it - boy that does not sit well - an hour after, it starting feeling sore and my mouth tastes bitter still this morning with excess saliva so I am swallowing all the time.

But I definitely have what you say on certain days, globus, just like a lump there - some say in your mind???? 

I am going to go through all these to look for natural ways out of this - do you know (or anyone reading) if ant acids will calm down the excess saliva - I don't want to go on PPIs again if I go back to doc which I dont want to - would rather treat myself.

Thanks and what a great site.

Gwen

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply . What puzzles me about my globus is when I wake up it is not there but as soon as I start to get up have a drink of water it is there . I often wondered if I stayed in bed lying completely flat whether it would go completely. I don't suffer from and burning or rising fluid and any acids don't make any difference , so I'm a bit puzzled as to what it causing it.
    • Posted

Hi - I've just come off a clinic on a site regarding excess saliva and anxiety.  I am amazed that it is linked.  If you have excess saliva due to GERD, the more you think of it and worry, the worse it will be as your anxious brain activates your salivary glands and produces more!!! I am a really anxious person with panic attacks etc but I would never had thought this.  But it makes sense because if I am going somewhere where there is no loo, I end up in a panic and going to the loo a few times before I even get there - say like waiting on a train station with no loo, I would be in a right old state.  Also, I noticed with my excess saliva when I went to bed last night with it at 11pm worrying about it, then drifted off and woke then drifted again then dreamt - yes a long night - but when I got up this morning it had gone and had not bothered me all night which you would think it would being lying down.   It was fine for a few hours until I had some light breakfast which should have been ok -bio yoghurt and almond milk - and I started thinking about it again and it came back.

Now if I think I feel my throat tight, it could be catarrh - but I immediately think the worst and am sure I can't breathe.  Then it gets worse - but if I think of something to do and get stuck in - it disappears.  Could you be stressful about it like me, just wondering with it being ok at night.

Hope this help you a bit.

• Posted

Hi- I have recently been suffering with heartburn, stomach that feels hot, lump feeling in throat and burping more often. I have been taking Omeprazole for a week now & it has improved but not competely. 

I wondered how you have been treating your problem since this post & how you have been getting on? Do you still feel the lump in your throat and do you know what it is caused by? 

I am quite desparate to find a solution so any advice I would really appreciate. 

• Posted

I have the lump in throat sensation that is driving me mad! It is fine during the night but the moment I wake up and eat or drink then it is back. I guess it is caused by my inflammed throat from LPR or GERD- not really sure yet. Ent scoped and said my throat was inflammed. Endoscope only showed small hiatal hernia. I am trying makuna honey, DGL and probiotics. The PPi's seem to make mine worse. Just wanted you to know you are not alone - have you gotten any relief?

• Posted

Hi Klc, how is your throat doing. I am with the same problem. I have been trying diet but I don't know if this thing would stop someday 😞

• Posted

Hi I have been trying everything under the sun and I have finally had a couple good days. I started digestive enzymes with each meal and a I have actually had a couple of hours each day without globus! I am taking Zantac 150 morning and night probiotic morning and night and making honey after each meal. I also saw a post where someone cured their issues with fuzzy water. You drink 10 ounces of fuzzy water then hold down your burp. Try to hold it for 2-5 minutes at first then work your way up to 20. It supposed to strengthen the les. I have started doing this as well but for 2 days so far he said to keep it up for 3-4 weeks.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your answer. I am going to try the fuzzy water and try to strengthen my LES because for sure that is the root of this problem. Actually I was considering or I am still considering surgery. I have tried already enzymes, probiotic, antacids, Licorice, slippery elm, soft diet, etc, it helps but things definitely come back. I have been so patient following things, I am so under weight that makes me feel so sad, trying not to stress out very much about it but is hard since my throat is like on fire all the time.

Zantac, Omeprazol, Dexilant are the worst thing, these dry the stomach acid, they block the stomach acid which is needed for proper digestion. Once you try to stop them the acid reflux is worse because the stomach has no acid at all. The indigestion gets worse, lots of burps which are the ones that keep open our LES letting the acid travels up to our esophagus and throat 😞

I think is a good idea to hold the burp. I will definitely do it, if things do not improve for sure I will go for LINK surgery.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Lina have you gone endoscopy?we have the same situation I'm still waiting for my appointment.

• Posted

Hi, oh yes, I have been going through so many exams, but the only thing they saw was a mild gastritis. I felt the gastritis for like a month but with diet it went away, however every day I have my throat under a very burning sensation that is driving me crazy. After I eat it is very bad. Even having veggies cream. I been sleeping on a wedge (at least I can sleep at night I just put a licorice on my mouth that I eat slowly and that keeps refresh my throat during the night)

Next Monday I will discuss a procedure with my Gastroenterologists and see what I decide because I can't continue like this. I feel so sad and I know there are worse illnesses in this world but this one is hard, people may think is not but it is... You get almost unavailable for eating everything and if we don't eat our bodies, energy, mood, mentality, overall health is decreasing little by little.

In about two weeks I will update on how i am doing in regards taking a procedure.

Tip: I am having as first thing in the morning raw potatoe juice. I use an image extractor and it helps a lot. Also carrots juice. However if you stop talking this is like medications the symptoms come back unfortunately.

• Posted

I have the exact same thing. During the night the globus is gone but then once o get up and have a drink it comes back. I don't have any burning either. I am trying this fizzy water thing and have started taking digestive enzymes and the last two days I have had a few hours without the globus! It was pure heaven!

• Posted

Which digestive enzymes are you taking . I have exactly the same thing now and again I get burning in my throat but other than that and the daily globus I have no other symptoms
    • Posted

Endoscopy only saw gastritis,have they seen any unusual or any damage in your throat?what did they say about your burning throat.this is what I'm really scared about.

• Posted

Today I am not doing as well- feels like food is stuck and my stomach knawing is back so I am really discouraged. This globus is driving me insane- sorry about your burning throat I don't have that but have you tried Makuna honey- it has to be the one that is level 16 to heal the inflammation. Take it after each meal and at bedtime but let it slowly go down your throat. Worth a shot! So glad to know I am not in this alone. I am almost to the 5 month mark with this crazy globus!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi - been on here off and on for ages.  I have gastric issues, reflux, hh, esophagitis and did have the lumpy feeling in the throat for a while.

I have improved hugely (I can't do the fizzy water due to hh) but I am using Zantac am and pm and also Mastic Gum before bed.  I do have Manuka honey and always have in my drinks.  I have found a real difference and the globus has gone (though not all the reflux which can disappear for days on end then come back but not as bad). 

Also have you tried sugarless gum, someone on here suggested it as it coats the throat and esoph with mucus and increases saliva by 140% which neutralises the acid going down.  Works for me.

• Posted

What is mastic gum? How long did you stay on the Zantac before the limp went away?
    • Posted

It is a herbal remedy and has been used for 3,000 years, you get in either in the health shops or online.  I am still on Zantac, 8  months now but have read people can be on it for decades as it is very safe especially compared with PPI's.

• Posted

Thanks! How long before you saw a difference with your lump in throat? I am also having some issues with feeling like food is stuck in  my esophagus and am thinking maybe during my endoscopy they hit the vagus nerve and damaged someting and my food is no longer moving like it should. I am going to be bringing this up to my doctor.
    • Posted

A few weeks cured it - yes they could have hit the vagus nerve - do try Mastic and chewing gum tho.
    • Posted

Hi Gwen4536

I have had GERD for a number. of years my last major attack was in 2011 and I recently had a tooth abcess due to a cracked tooth and a subsequent infection, this was causing me to have a sour taste in my mouth and hearburn I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis and am on a anti tnf, I went to see my dental surgeon who prescribed Metronidiazole and the pain was less however when the tooth was removed my real problems began I feel as though the back of my throat is burning or very dry have trouble eating as the throat is so dry it and can feel a lump.

This has been triggered by my tooth infection and prior to this no issues 

I saw my Gasroenterologist today he said it could be a number of things as I am on Risedronate Sodium and Calcium and Anti TNF so will go for a endoscopy he felt it could be candida as I am immunosuppressed I could have Candida he did not feel it was more serious but needs investigation.

Am wondering if this will ever get better am on Zantac 150mg twice daily 

Any help or advice is humbly and greatfully received.

Thanks

• Posted

Does it need to be flavoured? Will just carbonated water do the same?
    • Posted

Regular carbonated water will work fine, but it makes it go down a little easier with some fruit flavor.  You can also use seltzer water which seems to have more fizz to it.
    • Posted

Hi, sorry did not see this.  I hope you got some help.  I am on Zantax 150 x 2 a day.  Not really helping.  Sounds quite complex.
    • Posted

Hi glad I found this group.

I've had acid reflux for years now but I've usually just popped Tums or taken Protonix for a short period of time. Never changed my diet really. Only raised the head of my bed with some thick books.

But this year I've had two bad flare ups. First one back in the summer I thought I had some heart condition and was dying. Since I had something show up in an ultrasound on my gallbladder the previous year the doctor thought it was that and do took out my gallbladder. But it didn't get better only worse. (Extreme nausea all day long, dry heave, no appetite, so much burping, heavy chest, breathing harder, etc). So 4 days after removal of gallbladder I got an endoscopy. Showed gastritis. So went on a Protonix and took 2 months and got off of it.

Now another month or so later started getting the need dry heave again after waking up. And occasionally the sharp pain under my left chest, this I've gotten off and on over the years. Also this elephant on my chest feeling 24x7 and indigestion. And the feeling of a lump stuck in my throat and chest area.

So the GI said to start Protonix again but after 2 weeks I had no relief. It was so bad took myself to Urgent Care where they gave me Aciphex. A day on that and the elephant on chest feeling got better. But I still have all the other symptoms of indigestion, (feel like my digestion has stopped working), huge lump in throat and chest still, sore throat, lots of burping, can't sleep in bed still. I have to be propped up on the couch. Now I'm getting neck pain on top of it all!

So last week went to ENT and got diagnosed with LPR on top of GERD. Now I'm wondering if the asthma I was diagnosed with years ago was incorrect as the inhalers never do help me breath any better after using them.

Also I'm on the perimenopause board and have read that GERD and LPR can be exacerbated during this time of life. I'm wondering if any of the women on here are in that age range 40s-50s.

It's been such a life disrupter. Have had to put everything on hold. Sigh...

• Posted

Hi CC:  I will give my opinion and suggestions and then I hope that Gwen will also reply.

Gastritis can cause that feeling of constant nausea, and it is very slow to heal.  Medications can re-irritate the stomach lining and prevent healing.   When I was taking ppi drugs, I had to open the capsule and take only about 1/5 of the tiny pills and wash them down with water to dispurse them.  New information on ppi drugs indicates that they also stimulate the stomach to produce more proton pumps in the stomach, thus causing acid revenge if you try to stop.  If I had to do it over again I would only take antacids or liquid antacids.  Some people suggest only a bland diet to make the stomach stop producing acid.  Under normal conditions the stomach will make acid only in the presence of meat protein.

I bought a large bag of marshmallow tea, and still drink it daily.  It coats the esophagus and stomach and protects it.  I buy it off ebay. 

I'm sorry they removed your gall bladder as that can cause more issues with bloating or gas.  When I was having trouble with constant bloating I took a few doses of ivermectin, which is an anti-parisite drug.  I got immediate relief.  I possibly had liver flukes.  Either way it did help.  But, it may be hard to find. 

The carbonated water treatment can help strengthen the esophageal sphincter which can be extremely helpful.  It can also reduce transit time in the stomach.  There is also evidence that it can reduce the acid produced by the stomach.

And yes, acid asperation can mimmick the symptoms of asthma.  Make sure your bed is elevated at least 8 inches.  Sleeping on a wedge gave me backaches and neck aches.

I hope some of this proves helpful.  John

• Posted

Hi, it is life changing.  I have gastritis, Hernia, Silent reflux and GERD.  I could tell from your post before you mentioned LPR that you had this.

My doc just wants me to take the PPIs but I am holding off; once you are on them your stuffed really with acid rebound if you try to come off.

I have cut out raw onion, garlic, tomatoes. chocolate, spices.

One thing I have added is Mastic Gum before bed and that certainly helps along with my Zantac.  I have given up asking my doc anything at all about it, she just does not know and when I tell her things I have learned, I guarantee she will say "oh I did not know that".  Frustrating.

I went to my health store for Marshmallow tea and they looked at me as if I had three heads!!!  -  But I see from Jonthan's post he got it on ebay.  So I will do this.

Maybe you do not have Asthma and it is acid vapour?

I have been having big probems with chemical smells and petrol smells, fumes,  perfume, deodorant, all due to acid damage and it hurts up my esophagus and in my throat immediately I smell something.  It is a nightmare.  I recently had a session of something and I am booked in for 4 more, one every three weeks.  I don't know if it is related but the 2 hour session I had has stopped it.  The person giving the treatment told me that she was absolutely sure she could help with my digestive issues and has had success with many others.  If you want to know what it is, let me know as I cannot put it on this thread. 

There is no point in asking your doc for help, you will find out far more on here - Jonathan in particular - he rocks.

Good luck with this nightmare.

G.

• Posted

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if just holding in the burps will do it to instead of drinking the carbonated water. I am burping like a drunken sailor ever 5 minutes or so.

I do have my bed elevated with lots of books. But it's not helping.

I think after dinner it is much worse. Feeling so full even after leaving 4 hours after dinner. Last night my golfball feeling in the throat and chest was so bad almost drove myself to ER. But I know from past experience that's a waste of time. My GI visits are the same. They just tell me to double dose and come back in a month. I even mentioned I'll try changing my diet and lifestyle and he said I don't need to do that. Just eat whatever I want. Couldn't believe he said that.

I've been trying Nexium for 4 days now without any relief so trying Zantac today.

Going to go buy a blender so I can make smoothies for dinner hoping that may make the severity of the night time symptoms lessen. I'll check out marshmallow tea. Do you have the name of the seller?

Thanks,

CC

• Posted

Hi Gwen I totally agree with what you said about doctors. I am so shocked and disappointed with the whole conventional medical system.

I read this on dr Oz site and it's so true:

"Unfortunately, people with silent reflux symptoms, even if they ask their doctor, are usually incorrectly told they do not have reflux. The medical specialties are broken down by parts of the body, and doctors are experts in, and only test for, those parts of the body in which they specialize. The problem is that reflux does not care where your doctor trained and how it might affect the different medical specialties – the esophagus treated by gastroenterologists, the throat and sinuses treated by ear, nose and throat specialists (otolaryngologists), and the trachea and lungs treated by lung specialists."

I also have sleep apnea and from what I'm reading on LPR I am starting to question it. I always thought I had allergies and post nasal drip because I have sore throat most of the time. And after each meat I need to clear my throat. But now I'm thinking it's from reflux rather than allergies.

I will look into mastic gum. Thanks for the tip.

• Posted

I don't think holding down regular burps will work.  You need to at least try the carbonated water.  The globus sensation can take many months to heal.  Keep trying new things suggested on this forum until you find what works for you.

You may benefit from an MRI scan or x-ray to rule out any mechanical issues like a sliding HH.  Especially since you are not getting any relief from the ppi drugs.  When I first started taking nexium I thought I found my cure, it worked so well.  Sometimes there is an unknown issue that prevents progress.  Keep us updated. 

• Posted

Since you mentioned that you have persistant intestinal gas that causes constant burping, you may benefit from a pepto bismol treatment.  3 doses about 3 hours apart will kill most bad bacteria infestations.  That way you can start over by taking regular doses of beneficial bacteria like yogurt, or probiotics.  Bad bacterial makes lots of gas, good bacterial does not.   The pepto treatment can give instant relief.
    • Posted

The thing is I have lots of burping but I don't feel gassy and no stomache issues, or bowels issues (knock on wood). I pray I haven't jinxed it now!!! It's just all burps and feeling lumps in throat and chest and indigestion.

Thanks for the tip on MRI.

Have you tried digestive enzymes, probiotics, aloe, papaya enzymes, etc? I've been reading up and seems like there are a lot of choices to try. I know it takes times but I so desperately want relief now especially from the throat and chest lumps. Feels like I have a golfball stuck in there.

Thanks,

CC

• Posted

Hi John,

I tried the pepto last night. The lump feeling is hardly noticeable today. I did start Zantac yesterday too so I don't know if was that or pepto. I didn't know pepto was for heartburn and indigestion too. Thanks!

CC

• Posted

I'm sure the pepto was helpful because Zantac does not work that quickly.  I have had tonsil issues over the years and when inflamed, they can make it difficult to swallow.  The tonsils can also harbor bad bacteria and it ends up going down the throat and grows in the esophagus.  All very gross, but it is a possibility.  Pepto can kill off all the bacteria in the mouth and tonsils, giving almost instant relief. 

If you can, you should start taking 1 tbspn organic probiotic yogurt every two hours and right before bed after brushing.  You can keep up the Zantac if you wish, since it could have been a combination of the two that worked.

I'm so glad you got some relief, keep me updated.  John

• Posted

Yes me neither. I always thought it was for diarrhea so didn't even look at it in my cupboard. Sure enough after John posted that I took it out and it lists heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, etc.

Well today I felt the lump, but still less intense than before Pepto, but higher up, above my Adam's apple. Also, sore throat. So symptoms changing around a bit.

• Posted

Hello jonathan

i find your comments really interesting.

my partner had a heart attack blocked artery had stent fitted.second artery half locked having second stent put in on 12december.

also suffers with acid reflux Barrett's. had to go to hospital yesterday as pain in chest was so bad.had four ecosystem saw heart consultant who said not a heart problem but could be gallstones.   So nowback to doctor re this.   See that you say removal of gallbladder can cause problems but surely if the stones are there then they need to be removed?

do you still take the marshmallow tea?  Outdoor be so grateful for your comments.Dee L

• Posted

Hi kic78900 did the holding down burp issue work for you I suffer from the same thing
    • Posted

This all sounds very similar to me. I'm 47 years old and started with lump in throat sensation last Summer after losing my brother to bowel cancer in May 2015. After many visits to GP they referred me to ENT who diagnosed me with "globus sensation along with silent reflux". I have been on omeprazole. I am now on my 3 dose. I've noticed symptoms getting worse not better, various tender parts in body (sides of ribs, upper arms, joints), shortness of breath, excess siliva and my dentist has commented on decaying teeth. I sleep on a wedge pillow but wouldn't say it really helps. The lump feeling does not prevent me from sleeping, in fact I seem to forget about it at night but I awake each morning no more refreshed then when I went to bed. This is driving me crazy, work colleagues don't understand and keep telling me off for goggling but you panic don't you, thinking it's something serious, especially when family member died from cancer. I also wonder if all of this is linked to menopause and I know stress/aniexty from losing loved one probably triggered it all. Just want it to stop and as you're all feeling same as me like it to stop for you too. Glad I came across this site as otherwise I'd think I'm losing my mind too.

• Posted

That elephant on your chest thing is possibly Asthma. I have gerd too and thought that's what it was but had a Nurse Practitioner diagnose it years ago. Yes the symptoms do mimic each other. Very frustrating. Dr even thought at one time I might have heart issues, I don't.

Another suggestion to all of you with GERD, if you can afford it get an electric bed. You might get teased about being old but so what. They are a life saver and you won't kill your neck trying to pile up pillows abd slant things.

• Posted

Yes I was diagnosed with asthma ages ago. But the inhalers never helped at all. When I switched allergists last year and mentioned this to him he said maybe I don't have asthma. But I didn't think too much of it since it is harder to breathe sometimes. But now I think I may not have asthma but the silent reflux is the cause.

I've put 2-3 thick books under the legs of the head of my bed and that helps. But this Gerd is tenacious!!! I hate having to think about food all the time too.

• Posted

Yes I'm 47 too and attribute the severity of it to perimenopause. If you look under that forum a lot of women have it.

A long time ago I told my dentist about the metallic taste in my mouth. Maybe I should have used more adjectives, but he only looked at my fillings and said it was ok. I think dentists should at least mention the possibility of acid reflux when patients describe a chronic, bad taste in their mouth.

I think for me all the signs were starting here and there for years and now they have progressed to this point where just popping a Tums isn't helping anymore.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you I will check out that forum too xx. The joys of getting older!!!

Good luck to you too xx

• Posted

I am currently going through the same issues with the pain in my chest all the time with nausea and brain fog. I have tried omeprozol and nexium both had bad side effects for me. I take tums all day long with little relief. Have u found anything that works for the chest pains ?
    • Posted

My symptoms have changed a bit. I still have the golfball feeling in throat and chest but it's more painful at its worst, usually in the late afternoon. It feels like I've swollowed nuts and bolts. Still no appetite, indigestion and feel very full and bloated with just a tiny amount of food.

Saturday I was spitting up bright red blood each time so took myself to ER. The day before I had this sharp pain in my chest that came on suddenly. It felt like an angina. All tests were ok. But they didn't look down my throat. (The ER doctor didn't even know what LPR was!)I'm going back to my GI doctor tomorrow. Not too optimistic as he only gives higher doses of PPIs. And nothing is helping.

i used to get some relief with Tums but now that's not working. I ordered the U.K. Version of Gaviscon and that helped for about a week but now it's not. Mylanta is a little bit effective now, when in the past it was not effective at all. This Japanese antacid called Ohta's Isan works sometimes. It's a powder you take with water (the tablets didn't work for me). It used to work better a few months ago.

I don't know why they stop becoming effective but basically I'm jumping back and forth between a handful of things.

If there's anyone out there with any tips please share.

• Posted

Hi again, remember my PM to you about my alternative treatment.  Well it lasted for 8 weeks, since going I have been pain free - even over Christmas I ate everything I should not have includig onions soaked in vinegar which would have been a no no.  I swear this treatment solved it.  She also told me I was intolerant to wheat so I knocked off my wheat based cereal.  Where I have fallen badly is wine and spirits constantly when visitors came.  I pushed my luck far far too much and it is just starting to hurt in the chest again so I am re-booking a 2 hour session which is wonderfully relaxing and also  uses crystals.  If it works again I will let you know - I will know it is not coincidence.

I don't take PPIs - I refused them - I have Zantac and Mastic Gum and they help loads, and that is when I am still a bit naughty with what I eat and drink.

Hope this helps guys.

G.

• Posted

Hi Gwen

What is best mastic gum form? I found it in little chunks I'm assuming is chewable and also in capsule form.

• Posted

Interesting. I hope it works. Keep me updated!

Christmas time is a hard time to keep away from these no no foods! I know for me if I have one bite of something I shouldn't I have to have more like an addiction.

• Posted

Hi Jonathan

As per me ent, I started omeprazole 40 mg 2 months ago after having mucus in my voicebox and post nasal drip and 2 weeks into treatment I started getting burning in my throat and back sinuses after 1 month I stopped the omeprazole but I can't get rid of the burning, do you have any suggestions?

• Posted

STay on the meds it takes 3-6 mos and take them 1/2 hour or more before breakfast and dinner also follow a low acid diet and raise the top of your bed going on 4 mos of nexium and almost over this crap
    • Posted

Ok thank you I am on pepsid as I am afraid to get back on the plus as they did not work they made my situation worst I am going next month for 24 impedance test now to confirm reflux whether scud or non acid
    • Posted

Remind me of the things you chew or eat called"love hearts" i think. I think it was you who posted that but not sure. I recall they are carbonated maybe. It may not have been you,it's been a while. It is supposed to help with the acid I can't find anything in the health food store resembling that, darn it!

• Posted

You won't find them in the health shop as they are just basic kids sweets . They have sherbet in them which helps with acid . I Jo longer take them I was getting a bit obsessed with them and there is alot if sugar in them . Worked though whilst using them .

• Posted

No it wasn't me but I did read it.  The sugar as claire says puts me off though, I have diabetes in the family and keep away from it.

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, I'm so glad I just found this site.  I've been suffering from reflux related issues for about 9 years.  I've been to the doctor on several occasions on this topic and always bring it up at my yearly physical.  The answer was always to stay on the Priolosec (or similar).  Last year she finally referred me to a gastro specialist who did an endoscopy and found a small ulcer caused from the acid.  His recommendation was to take Nexium instead on a daily basis as it worked better.  It's been just over a year and I am no better at all.  My gastro doc wanted to schedule another endoscopy at my one year visit since I'm still symptomatic as he is concerned about the ulcer, but I haven't scheduled it yet as I'll have to pay the $2500 deductible.  My biggest symptoms are the lump in my throat and bad taste in my mouth with occasional light pressure in my upper chest.  I've also had a sore left ear for some time now and see from these posts that it may be relate (I thought it must be alergies).  I'm going to start with the pepto bismol and the fizzy water, continue reading these posts and hopefully get some relief ;-)  I'm not sure if I should stop the PPI altogether for now since I've been on them so long...but I'm just thrilled I found this site.  I now have a little hope that I may start feeling better!  Terry

• Posted

Thanks Jonathan, I plan to try the carbonated orange drink and order the marshmallow tea.  I have been on 80mg of Omeprazole for over 2 years.  I have started having nausea, cramps and headaches like I did before I started taking it, so I plan to stop.  My pharmacist is working with me now to see if I tolerate digestive enzymes well.  If I do, I will soon start down the path to weening off Omeprazole.  My gastro doctor is no help, and neither is my primary care doctor.  I have found that you have to be your own advocate, and you have certainly done that.  Wish me luck!
    • Posted

Try baking soda dilluted with water. Really cured my heart burn and acid refluks after only 1 day!

Should really give it a try. Once in the morning and in the night.

Good luck

• Posted

Can I ask how much bicarb you use.  I have high blood pressure so I have to be careful of the salt content.

I have silent reflux during the night so I would like to try this.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi

My globus is there some days and yes i tend to sleep to get rid of it and i wake up ok then as soon as eat anything it builds up to get worse at night

At its worse it becomes heavy dull pain behind lower part of sternum (Breast bone)

• Posted

Hi

My globus is there most days and yes i tend to sleep to get rid of it and i wake up ok and as soon as eat anything it builds up to get worse through the day

If i m fasted i m ok

Some days good some bad

At its worse it becomes heavy dull pain behind lower part of sternum (Breast bone)

0 Reply

• Posted

I take Zantac too when Ineed it.. Omeprazole doesn't agree with me and I don't like the fact that it leaves  you with no stomach acid to digest your food....unless you take digestive enzymes....then the medication wheel starts...you are taking more to treat symptoms caused by the other meds....

• Posted

This reply is for anyone dealing with globus sensation.  Make sure you know the cause of your globus.  I have done research and found that esophageal pockets are very common.  If you have a pocket, then food or pills can become stuck in it, causing damage.  If you have globus, you should have an endoscopy to determine the cause.
    • Posted

Hi John

I have a question I have aerosolized reflux in my back sinus and throat I just had manometry and 24 hr impedance test done last Wednesday and still waiting for results but the nurse did tell me that according to the graph I show some LES weakness so I decided to try the carbonated water this morning with 8 oz of plain mineral water because that's all I had in the house.

I drank it pretty much in one go and waited and I didn't feel the urge to burp until 8 minutes later and a big burp cane out without much warning.

Is that normal?

Also should I have tried to suppress the burp when I felt it 8 minutes later for the 3-5 minutes as you stated?

I am unsure on how to do the method, can you advise?

Thank you

• Posted

Hello CC,

I am with you on these symptoms.  I was in the ER twice last summer thinking i was having a heart attack....short of breath, cheeks burning, chest burning, arm and mid back pain.....all tests normal and they say it was reflux.  I went to see a natural doctor and worked the diet a bit and was feeling much better.  but never 100%.  Just past few weeks burning sensation in stomach, nausea, panic attacks, cant lie flat (had a major panic attack at PT today as he had me lying flat while workiing on my neck.(yup have the neck pain too!)  wink.  Mega anxiety...very peri-menopausal and just want it all to be over and done with!!  I have tried to stay positive but after almost a year of this I am getting quite discouraged..  my cholesterol was elevated too and i also have health anxiety so all of this combination is just doing me in.....oh, and did I mention hashimotos thyroiditis??  

All I can say is know that you are not alone in all of this.  I am trying to push through with life as you are, but it is so hard sometimes.   We get very good at hiding how we are really feeling....don't we???

• Posted

Hi Shelly:  Sorry for the late reply, I did not see this in my email. 

I would recommend fresh carbonated water, it will go flat pretty quick, which may explain the delayed burp.  You should start feeling the pressure in just a few minutes.  Just try again and stay with the 8 minutes for a few days then add 5 minutes per session, until you can hold it for 20 minutes without effort.  The LES is designed to clamp down tight all the time unless a person is drinking or eating.  It sounds like yours is not damaged.  That is great news.  Just keep at it.  This will eventually prevent your aerosolized reflux issue.

John

• Posted

Hi,

I had a sour taste in my mouth last year and slowly I started having heartburn followed by warm feeling near abdomen area.  I too have this lump feeling in my thoart ever since I was a kid.

Now its getting worst. There are days where I feel good and there are days it gets worst.  Not sure gastric/acid reflux or ulcer, but its really making my life miserable.

Last week I tried taking probiotiocs, gluten free food, no soya, no milk, no white floor, only vege soup with brown rice.  The bloating and burn have reduced abit.  I hope there will a remedie that will heal us.

• Posted

Hello-

I came across your post and you sound a bit like me. I was wondering how are you doing now with the perimenopause and the acid reflux issue? I am also going through this peri and stomach issues at the same time. The peri seem to bring out alot of uncomfortable symptons. It has been since March for me, I pray it ends soon for us.☺

• Posted

Same symptoms as you.. Globus and I feel a weight in my chest.. feeling short of breathe like I can't get a deep breathe in completely. Omeprozole didn't help, zantac gave me a poor reaction . Endoscopy showed nothing concerning and my doc said my heart and lungs looked good... the last week I have been on a low acid diet but no major I

Provement yet,any progress for you?!

• Posted

i also have that feeling of a lump in the throat and it is HORRIBLE - it makes my swallowing so much more difficult - and my glands also seem to be sore alot lately - probably from a minor infection from all the acid - i tried Apple cider vinegar yesterday afternoon and this morning and i would say a definite NO - it did not help me at all, but i felt worse with my swallowing. I'm wondering if this orange carbonated water is found in South Africa - anyone know? As i will try ANYTHING to be able to swallow my food properly again without worrying....

• Posted

Hi Bianca:

It's really important to find the cause of the globus rather than assume anything.  It can also be caused by swollen glands or organs.  And it will not improve unless you address the cause.   It can become debilitating if it interferes with normal swallowing. The esophageal muscles can also become affected and lose their sequential function.  You need to find a qualified doctor that is familiar with ear nose and throat.  Accurate diagnosis is needed.  John

• Posted

This note is for anyone suffering with globus sensation.  Unfortunately, The cause is often from medications that a person is taking or has taken in the past.  Check the side effects of all medications, if any point to similar issues such as inflammation, nausea and vomiting, you likely found the culprit. 
    • Posted

Gwen, can you pm me about the alternative treatment? I'm in agony from my lpr. There just is no relief in sight for me. Doctors don't help, they just tell you to take a ppi or just deal with it. I'm a single mom and my son depends on me to be healthy and most days I can barely even eat or get out of bed due to the agony I am constantly in. Please can you help me?

• Posted

Doesn't consuming to much baking soda increase blood pressure ??  How much do you take and how is your blood pressure 

• Posted

I had a couple of sessions of Kinesiology, the pain in my chest and throat disappeared along with sensitivity to chemical smells.
    • Posted

Hi gwen45436. Im new to this site. Been reading through posts. What is your sessions you did that cured you! Im curious into trying it. Im on zantac, a low acid diet right now, and drinking alkaline water. Also sleeping on a raised bed.

• Posted

Hi Sav - it was Kinesiology - they feel your hand muscles and tap into them, she could feel inflammation all through my tum.  She also told me I had elevated cholesterol (I have but had not told her !!) so she said to take Lechithin.  I started it and went for my 6 monthly health check for bp and cholesterol etc etc and the nurse said my cholesterol had come down????  I still don't have the awful chemical sensitivity that I had when  I went to her.  My gastric issues are manageable unless I indulge where I should not - usually weekend.  This is the price I pay for being naughty. 

I still take Zantac am and pm and Mastic Gum and Pepzin before bed.

G.

• Posted

Hi G! Thanks so much for telling me your secret. Just wondering, did you have the "lump feeling" in your throat? if so how long did that last?

• Posted

Hi, yes the lump drove me mad and the more I thought about it the more I swallowed and the worse it got.  I had that when I went to her and have not had it since, that was just over a year ago.
    • Posted

Hi Joe,

I am having the same symptoms as you describe. Have you gotten any better over this time? If so how did you do it? Any advice would be helpful as I feel very hopeless at the moment as if this will never get better. It really affects my daily life as I can barely eat and have lost a ton of weight.

• Posted

Gwen,

What was the treatment that helped you feel better?

Thanks,

Chandra 

• Posted

Hi Joe,

I have the exact same symptoms.  Thought it was my heart and lungs but comes down to Gerd, Acid Reflux.  Have you done any test to rule out heart or lungs? How you doing now?

• Posted

You sound quite similar to my symptoms.  I have ME/CFS (quite severe).  Do you suffer from fatigue and unrefreshing sleep?
    • Posted

Hi Gwen: You metioned going for treaments. What kind of treatments? Thanks 
    • Posted

Hi, it was Kinesiology - really helped me.
    • Posted

Hi Claire. I started to feel that lump in my throat also when our son and his family moved to our town. I explained it all in the previous message to you. It comes and goes. I think this is nerves for sure because I remember my parents, grandparents and old aunts and uncles talking about feeling a lump in your throat when you are under stress. Anything traumatic can cause that feeling. Not everyone would get that, it depends on your genetic make up. Also people who have a stomach sensitive to nervous tension also get heart burn, acid reflux, stomach pains etc. I had one aunt who was violently attacked as a teen and she was throwing up all her life, she had bouts of it every time something went wrong with her relationship or at work or with her parents. Stomach and digestion is very prone to react to stress.
    • Posted

What do you mean 'they tap into them' ? My son has masters in kinesiology which is science of movement, postural stuff, exercise and anything that would help our physical body. I never heard of any kinesiology practitioner being able to guess cholesterol and other stuff like that. You should ask to see their diploma and a certificate. Look online to see what kinesiology really is. I just found out that no countries except Canada have licensed kinesiologists. Kinesiologists are not licensed or recognized in UK. So anyone can say they are kinesiologists.

• Posted

Hi I’m leah I feel you I can feel there’s a lump on my throat either and I’ve bern suffering from bad acid reflux. My GI Doctor told me to have a fluonoscopy so they can measure my acid reflux level. Hoping not to have a surgery so I’m praying hard. Hoping for the best. GOD BLESS EVERYONE 🙏🏻

• Posted

Hi cc

First of all a huge prayer for your health 

Am just amazed to see many suffering like me

Here’s the list I did

1) DGL 2/3/aday

2) Slippery Elm lozenges 1/3/ a day

3) dinner Avacado with coconut or almond milk 500 ml and 

oats cookies

4) probiotic and prebiotic with insulin after meals 

5) AC vinegar and aloe Vera 2/ day

6) simple exercises

7) belly breathing and meditation 

8) Reading Bible 

9) try smiling always ( the muscles relax and ease u

10) chamomile tea

Cut tomato garlic gluten and don’t eat full

Raise ur head sleep on ur left

STRESS IS THE VILLAIN 

BITH R LINKED 

BET ME IF U FREE UR MIND U SEE THE DIFFERENCE 

Was in purple color cap for a month and worsed went to ER many times hadcpanic attack....,,,,

Thought dying 

But by Jesus grace I am healed 

Try these all d best 

LET NE KNOW

• Posted

Try IRISH MOSS 

ITS VERY GUD FOR TH SYSTEM

• Posted

Hi, I suffer with the same symptoms and you main GERD issues are stemming from the hiatal hernia and issues with the LES.  Look online for exercises and self massage to address hiatal hernia.  I hope you feel better soon.  Life and food can become miserable.  I have tried every PPI available and none have worked.  They can have bad side effects so if they aren't helping you, my doctor told me not to take them.  Good luck and God bless.  

• Posted

hi Jonathan, i know its years later but just found this forum. was diagnosed with lpr . symptoms are tightening in throat , dry mouth, feels like im breathing pneumonia half the time, i had the lump feeling , lungs feel tight if i over eat and have lost alot of weight because of this . oh and my glands are always swollen now wich freak me out.

its been a couple months now , i changed my diet because thats all my throat can tolerate but feel my body weakening as im not getting enough nutrients. too scared to try the ppi so i didnt do that. how are you these days , i hope so much better ! hope to hear from you soon 😊

• Posted

Hey,

what were tour symptoms when you had gerd and lpr???

• Posted

Hi, pain in back and shoulders - up front running along esophagus. Metal mouth taste, lumpy throat, burning throat - only occasional heartburn at night.

Not pleasant is it - yuk.

• Posted

hi Gwen45436,

thank you so much for your reply. I also have burning throat, occasional indigestion, alot of burping. Thank God no heartburn at night for me....that must be difficult. I just got the result for my food allergy test and apparently i am allergic to alot of food i am eating. Don't know if that contribute to reflux.

• Posted

Hi jennie, yes it will contribute. My doc did not know much about LPR and only offered PPIs which I said no to. I went to a Kinesiologist and she told me I was intolerant to wheat ?! This was new to me. But after two sessions with her my LPR was a lot better and the worst symptom which I had (terrible sensitivity to any chemical smell, be it perfume, deodorant, exhaust fumes etc etc) went completely. Si I am much improved with my own take on alternatives - think I have impressed my doc also and without her help.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want me to say what I take to help.

G.

• Posted

hi gwen45436,

apparently i am highly allergic to baker's yeast and brewer's yeast... i had no idea prior to the test...i used to eat bread everyday,... now time to change my diet....

and how did you find out u had lpr?? endoscopy??

yes plz i would love to know wad you take.. at the moment i am only taking digestive enzyme with meals...

oh and i did the baking soda test...i didn't even burp after 10 minz. i did it for 2 days and both days same result...

• Posted

Hi Debbie: Sorry for the late response. You will need to find out what is causing the lump in the throat. It can have a number of causes and should not be minimized. The lung issue also needs proper diagnosis. Sometimes a sleeping person can inhale acid reflux into the lungs and it can get very serious.

You need to at least elevate the head of your bed 8 inches right away. I always recommend that you try my carbonated water treatment, this is how I cured my reflux issue. I have not had it for many years now. And try these suggestions:

1. In the morning slowly drink 12 oz of filtered warmed water.
      2. Eat 1/2 cup of organic probiotic yogurt.
      3. Open a vitamin E capsule and slowly swallow the liquid.
      4. Make a vegetable smoothie and have a 12oz cup. You can add powdered soy protein to the smoothie. Juicing is even better if you have a juicer.
      5. Go vegetarian for 3 days or longer if possible.
      6. You can eat boiled eggs for protein.

7.Keep me posted, John

• Posted

hello,

As i search for answers, i find your symptoms very much identical to mine. How did you move forward? Did you find relief?

thank you for sharing.

• Posted

hi, its been 6 years since you posted this so i was wondering what ended up helping your acid reflux? Really really struggling with this!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.