How long does Lexapro startup anxiety last, it's killing me

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys -

I've been taking 7.5mg of Lexapro for about 3 weeks.  I started on 5mg and added 2.5mgs maybe 2 weeks ago.  I am noticing in specific situations, especially social situations, my anxiety is better.  But man oh man is it killing me other times.  Especially when going to bed at night, my mind is seriously racing.  Honestly - for those people who experienced startup anxiety, how long did it last for?  I can't even tell if this is *actual* anxiety, or startup anxiety.  Looking forward to this working.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Jake...I've been on Lexapro for 3 months .. I started out slow because I'm very sensitive to meds so I finally got up to 10 mg6 weeks ago .. On Saturday I bumped up to 15 mg. and on Monday the aniexty and panic and such hit.. It seems like for me each time I bump up the side effects start all over again .. But that is just how Lexapro works.. With that said I'm bumping down to 12.5 mg. for several days then back to 10 mg. and give it more time to work.. I just don't won't to b over medicated.. And to answer your question about the aniexty like u r having .. I think it is different for each of us.. But it is for sure the Lexapro.. It's a Great medicine.. We just need to b patient and give our bodies more time to adjust and let the medicine do its job.. I hope I've helped you.. But really it truly depends on the individual on how long the side effects last.. Just hang in there.. It's truly a journey.. Take Care and post when u want to...😊🤗😇

• Posted

Hiya,  I agree with Nickie, it is a great med but you do have to be patient but I remember how hard it was! I started on 5mg for a month, then 10 for a month and then 15 which I’m currently on which I have been on for a year ana a half! 

Every time my dose was altered I had the side effects but as time went on by the time I got to 15mg the side effects didn’t last as long.

Please persevere with it as you will be glad you did! I wish you well

• Posted

Well I seemed to settle down on the dosage after about 3 weeks but then the anxiety (used to get mine about 3-4am ) started to return after easing off so went back to Dr and he said to increase, and same happened with the 10mg so he increased me again to the 15 and luckily I settled on that but everyone’s different and you might not need as much. Hope this helps 
    • Posted

It seems like that is what's happening to me.. I've had this off and on choking thing.. Which is aniexty.. When I was on 5 mg. I felt really good but then it started then as each increase it tapers off then comes back so that was the reason I bumped up to 15 mg. on Saturday but then on Monday night the side effects keep caked in and today after talking to Dr and the pharmacist I think I'm going to bump down to 12.5mg. And see how that does then I may even bump back to 10 mg. and give it more time to work.. I just don't want to take any more than I have to... Thanks for your input... This aniexty thing is tough...

• Posted

And I'm having horrible indigestion and heart burn which I've never had b4.. I do have IBS ..

• Posted

I am too ,on 5mg day 4, lots of trapped indigestion under ribcage and around back,
  • Edited

Hi Jake,

I experienced the same thing. I was to the point where I couldn’t sleep, was having terrible insomnia. I ended up going to a psychiatrist & he put me on Klonopin 0.5mg at night. I also took extended release Melatonin at times in conjunction with the Klonopin. This anxiety is no joke. It would be so intense in the center of my chest at times I couldn’t take a deep enough breath. I promise it will get better. I worked my way up from 5mg in 2.5mg increments, & am currently on 20mg. I’m feeling better! This is my 6th week on 20mg. Remember, every time you increase the dose, the anxiety side effect can occur, unless you’re on another anti anxiety agent such as Klonopin to combat it. Hang in there!!!

• Edited

I’m in the medical field. My friend is a psychiatrist & he said most ppl need to be on 20mg to see full benefits of the drug. Especially for anxiety, depression, & panic.

• Posted

Oh... So 20 mg. is not considered a high dose..what was the reason u bumped up to 15mg.? Break thru aniexty r panic..? I'm having side effects of aniexty and panic with my increase... Happens every time I increase.. That's one of the reasons I went from 10 mg. to 15mg. So I would not have to endure 2 jumps and a mess of side effects of bumping up twice...Thanks for your input...

• Edited

Nickie,

Increase slowly! Try increasing by 2.5mg for a week & see how you feel. You can even stay at that increase for 2 wks to let yourself stabilize before increasing by another 2.5mg. Practice yoga, workouts help immensely! I bumped up bc I wanted to continue to feel better k eliminate the anxiety/depr/panic. If 20mgs is what it takes, I had to get there. It took months to get to 20mgs but slow & steady I did it. 

• Posted

This time I jumped into it at a increase of 5 mg. so I did what u just said I've cut back to 2.5 mg. today it was to much of a jump for me.That makes me at 12.5 mg. I'll stay at 12.5 for a couple of weeks and see what happens...Do you know if Lexapro causes heartburn and indegestion.. I've never had it before and it has happened with in the past several weeks... I do have IBS but never had heartburn and  Indigestion..Thanks for your info...

• Posted

All SSRIs can cause indigestion/ reflux, heartburn/ diarrhea. Hey work on the serotonin receptors which are mainly in the gut. Take over the counter tums, mylanta, pepto, etc to get through this side effect. This happened to me & it eventually subsided.

• Posted

Deanna... Thank You Soooo much for your input.. This blog is a wonderful tool... Thanks again...😊🤗💞😇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.