How long does Lexapro startup anxiety last, it's killing me

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys -

I've been taking 7.5mg of Lexapro for about 3 weeks.  I started on 5mg and added 2.5mgs maybe 2 weeks ago.  I am noticing in specific situations, especially social situations, my anxiety is better.  But man oh man is it killing me other times.  Especially when going to bed at night, my mind is seriously racing.  Honestly - for those people who experienced startup anxiety, how long did it last for?  I can't even tell if this is *actual* anxiety, or startup anxiety.  Looking forward to this working.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I believe you're having startup anxiety. And it was told to me that every dose increase you begin, the startup anxiety goes up again. This seems to be soooooo common with this medication. I was on it for 10 weeks, starting at 10 mg for 3 weeks and going up to 20 mg for 7 weeks. My anxiety kept increasing to the point where my doctor and doctor husband believed I was having an adverse reaction. I also had severe nausea, shakes, etc. So I stopped and went back to my original medication.... venlfaxine (Effexor). In just 4 days off being of the Lexapro, my anxiety significantly decreased.Anyway, I'm that weird patient from where those adverse reaction statistics come from....I really am. So that being said, you really should continue on this medication because so many people have great success on it. And even though I'm not on it anymore, this is a great place to come for advice and support. Hang in there and be patient with yourself!!!

• Posted

I need start up help. I was on 5 mg for 5 days and jumped to 10mg. Iam so much more anxious and agorophobic. How long does this last? Will it end? Im taking benzo's to keep me from jumping out of my skin. HELP????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.