How long does the swelling last after hemorrhoidectomy?

Posted , 30 users are following.

Had hemorrhoidectomy on Decemeber 7th, 2017 and am still having issues with swelling. I had three internal grade 3 hemorrhoids removed and can feel large external swelling on my right side. Not sure if swelling is coming from internally or externally. Is this normal even after a month out?

Also, using the bathroom has become more difficult recently. It's like the first push to start pooping is an involuntary strain type spasm that I cannot control. My body is forcing and pushing and sometimes I have no control of it. I assume it's because of trauma to the area. Straining is obviously something I want to avoid so does anyone have input?

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Edited

can I ask what symptoms you had for the internal piles I got a consultant appointment tomorrow. dreading it
    • Edited

If you have to have surgery do it. I'm not gonna sugar coat it...its a nightmare but absolutely necessary. Short term pain vs long term discomfort wins out.

One thing I can add...I foolishly believed when people told me I would be feeling good in a week. You will not be. I'm on day 10 and..yes I do feel better overall...but when I have a bowel movement it just ruins my whole day and I'm in bed for the remainder.

• Edited

what was your symptoms of internal hemorroids? I got to speak to consultant due to rectal bleeding tomorrow.
    • Edited

My symptoms from my internal hemorrhoids....they became external hemorrhoids. Thrombosis is the term. I've been dealing with hemmoroids for many years...when they got bad you could kinda push them back up and they would eventually go away. This last one I had to have surgery on because it took on a life of its own and severely impacted my day-to-day life. It was a beast. I'm no authority by any means but my Dr wouldn't even consider surgery with my internal hemorrhoids. Have you had a colonoscopy yet? That will be the first step and will decide what avenue the Dr wishes to take. Good luck

• Posted

no colonoscopy yet. Just consultant tomorrow to discuss the rectal bleeding etc. my gp suspects hemmeroids internal. after you seen your consultant how long was your wait for colonoscopy
    • Posted

I'm in Canada so it took me 3 months before I had a colonoscopy. Free healthcare is great...but wait times are crazy. After I went to the Dr to get the results of the colonoscopy I only had to wait 3 weeks for the surgery. Hopefully you don't have to have a hemmoroidectomy...sometimes they can remove polyps and fix minor things during the colonoscopy itself.

• Posted

My doctor told me for radio active frequency surgery of internal piles. Is it a good technique
    • Edited

Man oh man that was THE WORST. I’m 3 weeks post-op and up until last week I had the same issue. It’s all good until I had to poop and then all bets were off! At 3 weeks now I’m good with no problems with pain!

• Posted

hi

im on day 19 after surgery got both done inside and outside

yes very painful still after each BM and i go like 3 times in the morning and like u after thats over with i am wore out and on are bed with pain and burning

i take milk of magnesia at night 15 mg and stool softener morning and evenig also drink 8oz of water with citrucel in it fiber

so i dont hurt the next morning going BM

but even that it is soft it hurts badly

so i know what u mean by it takes ur day away

how are u doing now ?

• Edited

yes, I know exactly what you mean. I'm about 6 years post op now and doing great. that surgery has a very long and painful recovery and just when you think it will never end, it gets better. there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but a long and painful journey.

Take Care

• Posted

hi

how long did it take

what are we talking about months or years ?

please let me know

thank u so much for ur response and time

• Posted

hi

how long does it take for the swelling to go down around ur anus outside ?

the swelling looks like on 1 side like hemorrhoid but i know its not one

do u know or did not have that happen to u , please help

concernd

• Edited

Hi! i am post op day 14 and I have the same issue.. its as if my skin is hanging out of my anus. did yours go back inside on its own and if so how long did it take? im kinda freaking out a bit

• Posted

same..... It's day 13 for me... june 3 i had operation. Feels like something clinging.. i better hope its not new one... i feel with swelling it will also go away... please pray for me. Doctor cut down 3 pieces.. very hard initial days. Cried myself to sleep.. may i know how you feeling now? At which day, did swelling go away completely? i had to poo half standing half sitting.. sitz bath.. it's a very long process daily... thank uou

• Edited

I'm on my 10th day so I'm not sure how long the swelling will last.

As for pushing...I try so hard not to but it's like its beyond my control!! Last thing we need is a hemmoroid coming off a hemmoroidectomy. I don't know why the pushing is involuntary...but yes I try not too but can't control it.

What did your Dr tell you when you went for the post-op?

I have some bumps there that scaring me into thinking it's another hemmi...but I really don't have much swelling anymore. After I have a BM though it swells up for hours.

I filled the fingers from a latex glove with water and froze it....mini ice packs that fit nicely between the cheeks. The relief is wonderful. I've read of people freezing half a hotdog to use too. Maybe try something like that to see if the swelling goes down?

• Posted

How are you doing now? Hopefully better! I've been going back through this thread trying to figure out how long to expect my swelling to last as it's just started for me 2 weeks post op. I just want to know when I'll feel normal again! lol 

Hopefully you're doing great! 

• Edited

Sorry, I just saw this. it's been a few years so I'm assuming you are completely healed.

• Posted

hi

im on day 21 and still not back to being me

the morning BM still hurt and so does my anus half the day to it gets to a later day after being done going to bathroom

it still burns , pain and itches

seen my monday follow up , He said it looked good for being a bit after 2 weeks

how is everyone on here doing

how long did it take to feel no more pain going to Bathroom

thank u for response back , please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.