Hurts when I put pressure on operated hip

Posted , 15 users are following.

Had total hi surgery July 18. Came home July 20. Was sick from day of surgery with nauseous and throwing up until late Tuesday after surgery. At home was nauseous most of time. In hospital was taking Tylenol 3, Tramadol & Lyrica along with other meds, like stool softener, Celebrex baby aspirin and Prilosec. Now only pain med I'm taking is Norco, along with the other meds. I am now just starting to feel better started cutting pain pill in half but the walking is most disheartening because it hurts when I walk on it!! I'm scared and wonder if it's going to get better. Please let me know your experiences. Thank you.

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I dont wish to sound rude but of course its going to hurt, they have cut through your muscles and so on. Its not going to be painless when putting weight on it. But it will get better as the muscles strengthen. Are you still using your crutches or canes, they should help a little
    • Posted

I'm using a walker. I know this is a major surgery and all that went on....I guess I'm scared & worried with every lil twitch, sometimes pop that I experience. Thank you for your post.

• Posted

I agree with Sarah it's a big operation and you need pain meds for much longer than a week it's really early days. You need rest and do as advised by your consultant.  You should need to use crutches at least for month 5 weeks no way putting weight on operated yet unless physio recommends you do.

take care and time will improve your recovery it can be a very long haul.

Regards Lorna

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I am 5 months post posterior lthr and doing well and actually looking for ward to getting on my other hip done in Sept as it I know now how good it can be once recovered.

I hear you though ... the first few days are pretty tough and it will be a while before you can walk with aids without pain.

But if you watched the video of the operation (Google will find several) you must know that this was a physically serious operation cutting through both bone and muscle and other connective tissues. And those that were not actually cut were badly stretched or moved for the operation. So much of the pain you feel now and will for some time, is due to these connective tissues. They need to heal in order to help with movements but also to hold your new hip in place. So be kind to them - follow the restrictions and guidelines carefully and do all exercises regularly but dont push ahead or you will risk dislocating your hip and/or delaying your recovery.

If nauseous, you may avoid eating - try protein shakes as protein and several vitamins and minerals are key to a successful recovery while bone is regenerating (vitamins C, D and E and calcium).

The recovery journey has tested many of us - it isn't a quick fix, and there are usually a few setbacks that can be very discouraging (most of us call it the rollercoaster ride with exciting ups and scary downs). So bring out your patience, be kind to your body and appreciate the milestones that can motivate you along the way. Not to mention, this wonderful forum and it's great advice and generous ear.

Good luck,

L

• Posted

Hi Linda sorry to hear you feel so rough I'm nearly 3weeks post lhr and it still hurts when I walk and exercise ,but it's getting a lot easier it's going to hurt just think about what we've had done.

To be without all that other pain I had before Surgury is unbelievable I wonder if I will ever be right again but as I say I'm three weeks on and it is getting easier be positive and this forum is great for picking your spirits up . Hugs xx

• Posted

Thanks!! I'm glad I joined. I was starting to feel alone and depressed. My husband is great at taking care of me and all and I don't want to be negative in front of him so I'm gracious that I can talk to all you fine folks! ??

• Posted

Your very, very welcome did you say you take Tramadol? I took this before my op for the pain and it made me really,really poorly didn't take it after that .Hugs xx

• Posted

I was in the hospital but I threw up 5x on the day after surgery and was barely eating and felt nauseous and loopy they took that, Tylenol 3 & Lyrica off and started giving me Norco. Still was feeling nauseous after I got home up until yesterday. Feeling better. Take care and thanks for the encouragement!!

• Posted

Hang in there Linda, this group is fabulous!  By the time I go in for my lthr Aug 9th you will be feeling so much better telling me " it takes time" hugs to you and be kind to your body and take this pain pills for now!

• Posted

Thanks!! And the best of luck to you Aug 9!! 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽
  • Posted

Linda give yourself a chance, nausea is very difficult to cope with. The operation is brutal with a lot of cutting the muscle and bone. I seen many of them as a nurse and I have had both of my hips done. Try to take it easy, take your pain relief, do your exercises and don't be disheartened. The pain will go and you will be so glad you had it done. Best of luck. 

• Posted

I am thinking most people sick after surgery had a general anethsia? I think that is why they are looking to do spinl an sedation on me.... thoughts?
    • Posted

That's what I had!! They gave me something to relax I remember it was pretty painful getting that in the back!! I knocked out for awhile then woke up! I could hear like hammering and feel it too. I could feel like being pushed on. Then I feel back to sleep

• Posted

I had the spinal block this past Monday & had no nausea.

What was a  bit disturbing was I heard a lot background noise during the surgery.  i was not able to figure out what was being said etc...

Off to rehab on Thurs !!!

Good Luck to all !!!!

• Posted

????. Well I think my nausea came from being on Tylenol 3, tramadol, Lyrica, & other meds I'm not sure what they gave me to relax prior to surgery. Well good luck in therapy!

• Posted

you poor thing, not sure if you are in the US they have something we get to take for nausea after surgery. I am scared to death of the needle in my back and worse waking up during surgery. I wish you a speedy recover and for you to start feeling better!!
    • Posted

I had spinal and it was good. No nausea, but be sure they give you pain meds soon as you will feel pain when spinal wears off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.