Hurts when I put pressure on operated hip

Posted , 15 users are following.

Had total hi surgery July 18. Came home July 20. Was sick from day of surgery with nauseous and throwing up until late Tuesday after surgery. At home was nauseous most of time. In hospital was taking Tylenol 3, Tramadol & Lyrica along with other meds, like stool softener, Celebrex baby aspirin and Prilosec. Now only pain med I'm taking is Norco, along with the other meds. I am now just starting to feel better started cutting pain pill in half but the walking is most disheartening because it hurts when I walk on it!! I'm scared and wonder if it's going to get better. Please let me know your experiences. Thank you.

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda. Welcome to the Hippie a Forum. This is the place to get guidance and support as well as gaging where you are at as there will be someone who was at your stage at some point to relate to.

So yes, there is pain and discomfort in your new hip area and other areas of your body. Linda described it well. Yes, good to be aware of meds causing nausea and watch what you are taking. At the same time, managing pain and inflammation with some meds, hip recovery exercise, ice or heat are also important. 

Try to spend time with other people as its good to socialize too. Have a friend over for a coffee or go for a short drive or walk with them. This can help pick up your spirits. Taking a page from my own book, it's good to be aware of your body and possible symptoms but try to keep busy doing other things and focus externally too. Otherwise one can drive ones self around the bend analyzing every symptom trying to decide if it's normal.

coming onto the Forum is also a great place to ask questions, just air your concerns and sometimes just relieve anxiety that you aren't alone. Just think, we can connect with others on the forum 24/7 from all around the world! 

Take Care,

Cathy

• Posted

Thank you very much! I'm glad I found this and can read, relate & ask questions of others who have or are going through this! You're right trying to analyze every feeling that I get and wonder if I did something wrong or asking why and get myself all worked up!! Thanks again!! ??

• Posted

Thanks Linda. I really also appreciate the thoughtful way you respond.❤️
  • Posted

Hi Linda...hang in there....most of the crappy feeling is from all the meds from the hospital and stuff they want you to take when you first get home..once you are off most of the meds you will feel 75% better.  As for the pain..it is only 10 days...by the end of the third week it will only be a memory...you will most likely be using only a cane (not a walker) and the pain med will be doing a much better job.  I know that 10 more days of moderate discomfort seems like an eternity...BUT I PROMISE...YOU WILL FEEL BETTER SOON!
    • Posted

I look forward to that!! Yesterday and today have been tough!! I can barely put any pressure on that hip!! 😫😖
  • Posted

Yes it hurts and will for a while. Will feel much better in a few weeks and you will really notice improvement in 6 weeks. It you see the size of the stem and ball you will understand
  • Posted

Hi Linda:

It is very soon after surgery for you. For myself and many others the first two weeks were the worst part. With the first week being the very worst of all, but after then it seems to start letting up and function improves. You are still at the point you need lots of rest and try not to over do it. Hope you feel better soon...Barb

• Posted

Thanks....I guess I was under impression I needed to be moving a lot. So it's ok to take it easy? I mean I do my physical therapy exercises 2x a day and do certain ones while I'm resting in chair. But for past 2 days walking has become painful.

• Posted

Linda, it's good to listen to your body. Moving helps strengthen your muscles and helps keep the swelling, stiffness and discomfort down. As well though, rest is good as your body is reap airing itself and you are getting your energy back. It's still important to walk even though there may be pain. Just make sure you are using your AIDS, like walker and/or crutches at this early stage. 

Hooefully you are going to have physiotherapy at about 3 weeks to help guide you in your post op exercises and help you know what to focus on and what to expect.

Hugs, Cathy??

• Posted

hi linda, 

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies of allages and in all stages - 

you are definitely not alone anymore and can't have a better group that understands what you are going through as you can see by all the responses you already received ..

I have nothing to add - maybe just to relax a little bit - it won't just pop out, however, I remember that "they" scare the hell out of you pre-op -

How are you doing otherwise?

do you get physical therapy ? 

come back here any time when you have a question or concern, okay

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I'm so glad I found y'all!!! ????. I feel so so. Having more pain now when walking then when I first got out of the hospital last Wednesday. Was feeling nauseous too but that's starting to go away! Was spacing out pain meds cause thought that was causing nausea but they told me toget back on track with pain med cause of increase of pain.

• Posted

Hi Linda can I suggest you ring the ward or Physio re some guidance? I have rung once so far and found the advice given very apt. We are all different and they may be able to reassure you or help? 🖒
    • Posted

so so is not too bad biggrin --- I remember the BIG let down after the euphoric state I was in while in the hospital ... 

oh and the emotional roller coaster - the crying , visits to pity city , the aloness - and then I found the forum ( 20 days post-op) - no longer alone anymore ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.