Husband been on tamslusin tablets for 2years

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does tamslusin for prostrate problems stop working after long use ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have been on it for about 3 years now and so far it is still working for me. Are you currently on it and has it stopped working for you? Just curious because I wondered the same thing when I started it if it would continue to work. Like I say, so far so good.

• Posted

Tamsulosin doesn't stop the prostate from growing. It may be that the medication is less effective because your husband's prostate is getting larger. If your husband's prostate is growing in such a way that it is creating a median lobe, or the median lobe is getting larger, drugs like tamsulosin are not very effective. I would suggest looking into Aquablation so that your husband can get off the medication.

• Posted

In my case I’ve been on it for 10 years... and the problems have returned recently. I’m now planning surgery.

• Posted

I took Tamsulosin for about 5 years and the effect did seem to lessen. That could be because of building tolerance to the drug, or as others here have suggested the prostate may have kept growing. In 2018 I started using intermittent self catheterization, so didn't need to take Tamsulosin any more, and have not used it since.

• Posted

It stopped working for me after about 2 years. I now self cath which has worked really well for me. I also do not take the meds any longer. Self cathing has been a real game changer for me. It is very easy to do. I am hoping for better options down the road.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.