Hydrocele repair journey UK

Posted , 1 user is following.

This platform really helped me pass through the journey of hydrocele repair. I thought its my time to give back now.

I had hydrocele on both testicles. Got them in childhood maybe not sure. well the left one was diagnosed as mild so nothing to worry about. The right one however was severe ( As per ultrasound test result summary). It wasn't as large as I have read in this platform but was like an avacado (might be little small but it was bothersome and did pain when I used to go to gym). I always used to feel the heavy sensation but never bothered as I thought this is how other men feel as well!

Anyway, I got them somehow checked last year. Since then, I was really stressed about the surgery. I am fairly young. After a lot of reading I went through it 16 days ago. For all those reading this and deciding whether to go with or not, I would say that so far it has been great. Go for it!

Surgery experience-

Never had one done before, so was very anxious and nervous. Did the fasting as told. Doc told me that a small tube will be kept around the surgical wound to keep the excess fluid bypass.

Gave me the General Anesthesia and woke up after 2-3 hrs. No significant pain at start but felt a 'stretch feeling ' in my tummy . The feeling was very similar to the time when you get hit in your nuts and your tummy pains. Apart from that I was very nervous to move so kept the movement as minimal as possible. It was fairly easy. No significant pain but still took the painkillers. No tube was present. The doc said that he did feel the need to do so.

Was discharged the next day. A lot of tiredness and weakness was there but nothing to worry.

Post operation experience-

First few days I didn't even dared to remove the dressing. Walked slowly and rested. after 72 hours, I removed the dressings for the first time. Scared as hell to see down there. I could see a big cut, all stiched up. little blood still coming out. Cleaned the wound, dressing change and wore the jockstrap. I took shower but always covered the area as I didnt want any infection.

after few days, No matter how much I tried to avoid water while showing it still got wet somehow. After a week or so, the blood was still there but very minimal, however there was some white stuff as well in the dressing. Contacted the doctor and was given antibiotics.

The dressing was getting stuck to the wound so I was concerned how to remove it. One day I tried to pull it gently. It was little painful and drop of blood came out. To get that resolved, I contacted the nurse again and luckily got the wound and dressing checked by the doctor and nurse. They have now applied a sticky dressing that holds it position there. Really comfortable.

Present day -

It's Day 16. The wound is heeling fine, the sticky dressing is still intact and seems to be dry. Will change it in a day or two. I have managed to wear the jockstrap till now as I wanted to give the wound a proper support throughout. I still avoid water as much as I can. Otherwise, Everything is pretty much normal. I dont exert myself much though. Just walking n all. Hopefully the wound will heal just fine 😃

Will update if required!

P.S - Thanks all to this platform for the guidance! There are a lot of negative comments about the surgery but I would say that its just 1%. If you are planing to get yourself operated, go ahead! So far its good for me.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.