Hydrocele surgery?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am 78 years old and 290 lbs. Over many years, I experienced swelling in one testicle with minor pain and discomfort. Over a few weeks, it would subside and several years passed with reoccurrence. In the last couple years the right testicle had enlarged. It does not cause any pain, except given my weight and the size of my scrotum, the closeness creates sweating, leading to tinea cruris. (jock itch). Years ago, my regular doctor suggested sitting in water as hot as I could stand. This is awkward so I use a hand held shower to direct hot water on and around my scrotum. Frequent showers and hot water directed there plus use of anti-fungal powder the jock itch is not a problem.

10 years ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer with a minimal GLSN score of 6 or less. I decided not to have it removed. Instead, 6 month exams has shown no spread or problems. My urologist thinks the cancer diagnosis may have been due to a very enlarged prostate. I do take "Flowmax" to counter the (slow stream) affects and It's not a problem. He also said I had a hydrocele and explained options, including surgery. He said that pain / recovery time would be multiples of my long ago vasectomy. WORSE, "SURGERY MAY NOT RESOLVE IT AND NEED TO BE REPEATED. Basically, he scared me out of having it done so I live with minor discomfort.

This next part is somewhat embarrassing . My penis is somewhat small and because of my lower belly fat, plus the hydrocele has significantly increased the size of my scrotum. I hate to use the analogy of a turtle pulling his head back, but that describes the visual of my penis.

When I urinate, I have to pull it forward. If there is a dribble (per enlarged prostate), it runs down my scrotum, making hygiene an additional issue.

In a week I will have an MRI (to check prostate). An MRI as opposed to a biopsy was much preferable 4 years ago and resulted in a verdict that the cancer wasn't a problem. I'm optimistic the results will be good this time.

So for those who had surgery, was the bleak picture my urologist painted about pain, recovery and possible need to repeat it again exaggerated?

2 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.