Hydrocoele Surgery on Tuesday

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys,

After carrying a hydrocoele around with me for the past 20 years, I am finally hitting in for surgery on Tuesday (21st September). I'm just wondering if the submissions on here are generally from lads who have had less than favourable experiences of this surgery or do all hydrocoele surgery patients generally take weeks to recover pain and swelling wise? Also, the attaching of the testicle to the sac after...if this only sometimes done? I think I asked my surgeon this and he said he wouldn't be doing this... One thing I have taken from this forum is the importance of "ice"! Off out to buy plenty of frozen peas and a few cool packs this afternoon. Any replies would be welcomed. Thanks 😃

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Yes Stephen the ice will keep the pain down but it also depends on wether you have stitches or staples . I had the experiance on both.

After my first opp they used stitches however i had got infected in the wound which caused me to have sepses . I was in agony after about 8 days the sepses set in .My stitches had burst open and black blood was seaping out. I had to have it re operated on and this time they used staples.I was kept in while they put me on antibiotics on the drip for 4 days.They let me home and i had numbers of blood test to make sure the sepses had cleared up.That all happened 25 may and first week in august.

Still get a little jip but not too much....

Hope your opp goes well and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks John. yip all went well for me on tuesday and the ice has been helping too. i only took off the jock strap cover they applied this morning...can anyone who had a large hydrocoele tell me if the loose baggy skin left behind tightens up over time? or has the damage been done to the skin by it being stretched for so long with the hydrocoele? mine was about the size of a kiwi fruit. i know this is only day two post op for me but i'm just eager to hear how things might look in time...

• Posted

Hi Stephen unfortunately for me the infection sepsis had set into my wound and the stitches had burst open. On the second attemp they took some of the skin away and closed it up with staples. I am still feeling a bit of pain even now from 7th July. They do advise to keep quite tight underwear on while you are recovering.

Hope you are feeling much better.I found that the jock strap they put on was much too tight

so i just use good fitting underpants.

Hope you feel much better soon.....,John

• Edited

I had my hydrocele about 10 months ago. I was back on my bike after three days. Moreover, the dull ache I had had for 40 years from my vasectomy is gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.