Hyperthyroidism and tests suggesting grave's disease.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The doctor put me on 5mg methimazole once daily; symptoms didnt improve and levels dropped more. so they just upped it to 10mg once daily, but now I am having blood pressure problems. My heart rate will go up to 120-140 bpm just walking in Walmart; blood pressure has been running 140/106 and I am wondering if it is the medicine or something else I should be more concerned about? I am short of breath when this happens and get a headache. my chest feels like an elephant is sitting on it. I am 31 yrs old; was at 125lbs 5'5"; now I'm 102lbs. My endocrinologist appointment isn't until the 26th. also kind of embarrassing to talk about it but my heart rate and blood pressure go up like this before I have to go to the bathroom to have a bowel movement. I am not constipated or straining either. Any advice is helpful and appreciated. I feel aweful and just want and need to get back to normal for my 3 kids.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

I'm struggling with the same issues. Only thing is my numbers are all within range now and I was told 4 yrs ago I had graves; now they're saying I don't have graves after all. The first Endo said, I had graves from an uptake test...2nd endo did a antibody test and said I don't have graves. Two weeks ago I landed in the ER with 130 plus heart beat and off the chart blood pressure. I also get shortness of breath and also feel funny before using the restroom. I was not on any thyroid medications. Since being in the ER I'm on beta blockers. I also get heart populations and nobody knows why. Doctor apt with a cardiologist. It's so frustrating. The beta blockers do help. Maybe you can ask your doctor for a script.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through that; how awful to think you have one thing and then be told it wasn't that at all. I will definitely keep pestering my doctor about it because it is really hard to live like this. just doing every day house chores has become hard to do. I don't understand it. I can imagine how frustrating your situation is too. I hope and pray that they figure out what is causing your symptoms and that you get relief! Thank you for your support and talking with me. It is hard for my husband to understand.

• Posted

They put me on that methimazole and it worked for a bit I thought, and then my numbers were off . I did go back to the Dr, and he upped the dosage to 10 mg. I have afib, which I was taking meds for that as well. My heart rate was all over the place so I could not compare. My blood pressure was hi around 150 over 90 but that is not bad for me. I know it seems to be high but taking meds for that and seems to bring it down somewhat...blood pressure is hard to monitor due to the stresses we have in life itself. With the hyrperthyroidism my eyes started to go, started seeing double, and blurring , not a good thing The shaking started but was able to control that somewhat. Instead of fooling around with all these meds and having all these symtoms , I had my thyroid removed. Its been over almost a month now, and shaking has gone, the eyesite improved, it was like a miricle. What I am saying is....instead of fooling around with all these meds, , ask the Dr, about removing the thyroid all tegether. I have never heard of any great strories that someone had controled the thyroid......Hope this helped somwhat.....

Don..

• Posted

I don't know why doctors wait so long to remove the thyroid.

• Posted

Thank you! I will talk with my Endocrinologist about it for sure on the 26th. it will be my first time meeting him. I hope he is good and listens to me. I hate it when doctors will not listen.

• Posted

I have waited almost 2 years of tests and have taken all the meds that is suppose to help with hyperthyroid disease and of course I had graves as well. I didn't mention that in my previous email, but with the graves it effected my eye site and when I was driving, I would have to have one eye closed of wear a patch, I ended up getting an old pair of glasses and putting electrical tape over the left side. It helped but didn't want to drive that much. Now since the thyroid has been removed...the double eye site is gone, and feel alot better driving and safer of course, The graves disease I was told effected the eyes, and since as I said before is ok. I just wish as soon as you have or diagnosed with hyperthyroidism . The doctors should set up an appointment with a surgeon instead of fooling around with meds etc,,, I just don't get it. I have never heard of a cure or someone that has it and its cured. There is one thing that has to be done after surgery, and that is having blood work done 3 times a week until your calcium is at its proper level and you are to take that for the rest of your life which is not that bad considering having all the complications having the problem. Myself I was told by my surgeon that everything that I was doing is great and that I only have to go once per week to have blood work done, and thats a relief and my arms were bruised big time ..lol.. I am now feeling great after surgery, and almost back to my normal self. Just takes time but am happy with the results....Hope all goes well with you...and don't let them give you more meds and get another opinion if necessary. Good luck...and keep me posted if you like....hagd

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.