Hyperthyroidism Graves' disease flying

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm desperately wanting some advise, my gf has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism her levels are

T3 are 27.8

T4 are 50.9

I have booked a holiday abroad, is she ok to fly? Has anyone flown with these results

Thankyou

Very much appreciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ice:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hypothyroidism.

When you have Hyperthyroidism you may feel symptoms of Nervousness,  you lose weight despite eating, sweating, feeling HOT, feeling anxiety or panic attacks, buldging eyes, fast heart rate or pulse. Heart attacks can happen in people with Hyperthyroidism due to a racing heart rate.

When levels in the body are off of normal and you go traveling it may be a huge problem. If she needs medical care in another country it may be hard to get since you would not have coverage either via insurance or NHS. If something were to happen on an airplane, they have very little on board to help.

So I would cancel the trip for now, and plan for a time after she has been seen by a doctor and he or she certifies she is allowed to travel.

Please have a doctor certify her for travel, and wear a med alert bracelet saying she has Hyperthyroidism.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Ice20000, 

back in March I was in a similar situation. Our holiday was booked and I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I think my T4 was around 60.

After taking Carbimazole for around 2 weeks my state improved slightly and I decided to go ahead with the holiday (, btw I informed my GP). 

During the flight every turbulence triggered a strong reaction of anxiety with rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, etc. It is really not a pleasure to be confined in a plane seat in that situation. Be prepared to deal with extreme muscle weakness, fatigue, hand tremors, rapid heart beat, and feeling hot and hungry almost 24/7. We had to avoid strenuous activities and rather take it easy and relax as much as possible. 

The medication your gf is taking will take effect in a few weeks time and she will soon feel a lot better. Also the thyroid suppressing medication could have side effects (compromise her immune system) and in that case she would need urgent medical attention.

My advise would be (if at all possible) to delay the flight and in any case to ask the advise of her GP.  

• Posted

Thankyou for the replies,

She has been taking them for a few months now,

She is going to see her gp tomorrow, to see if he allows her to travel we are only going away for 3 days, to get away and relax, hope they give her the go,

• Posted

She is on carbimazole and propranolol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.