Hysterectomy or Endometrial Ablation

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello everyone,  I am new to this forum but I in a bit of a dilemma and would welcome your experiences and thoughts. I have had a bit of a journey over the last 3 years, increasingly heavy periods, which are now 2 - 3 weeks long, with severe clotting (sorry tmi).  I have had a laparoscopy (GA), mirena coil (twice), right ovary and tube removed due to large cysts, and I have a large fibroid.  I have tried transexamic acid which had no benefit.  I am now being offered an endometrial ablation or a hysterectomy.  Having read some stuff on forums, the experience of EA doesnt seem to be good.   I am inclined to go straight for the hysterectomy in the sense that it gives complete closure to this whole sorry experience, and the on going post op pain with an EA seems well documented.  Just wondered if anyone could offer any helpful insights?  Thanks all.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sara. 

For me I went straight for hysterectomy

Severe I know but I wasn't taking any chances. 

Ablation has too big a failure rate for me and I was so fed up with it all. 

Best decision I made. I had my op on 1st April and feel great. 

Good luck

lee x

• Posted

Thanks Poppy, thats good to know and reinforces what I am thinking as well..Its all just so scary xx

• Posted

It is a scary time but quickly forgotten. 

You will be fine and won't look back. 

I jad adenomyosis so ablation not great for that anyway but I would just bite the bullet. Can I ask how old you are?

lee x

• Posted

I'm 46, have healthy happy kids and no intention of having anymore haha so from that point of view I am settled x

• Posted

Then I would suggest just going for it. I am 49 and have two kids so happy just to get rid. Let me know what you decide

lee x

• Posted

Hi Sara,

I had heavy periods my whole life, cramps etc. A doctor suggested I do an ablation, and I happily went on for 8 years with no period. A year ago I started to feel tired all the time and had pain in my lower back and abdomen but never at the same time, so I kept letting it go. Then my back pain got wosre, after exausting my time and money in the ER, and at my PCP and 3 other doctors, I went to my GYN and my uterus was the size of a 6 month pregnancy. Because I had the ablation and no periods( heavy periods ) would have been the first sign that I had uterine cancer (Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma) , before the back pain. I was very lucky. After having 3 surgies we found that the cancer was confined to the uterus smile If you are past the child bearing years (my opinion) take it all out and save yourself from future problems. I am 44 yrs old have no children but I am alive, healthy and cancer free. I'm very sorry that I had the ablation. I hope this doesn't scare or offend you, I wish I had know the risks before the ablation, but I do know if you decide to do it (the ablation) have regular internal ultrasounds to monitor the size of your uterus. Love & Luck your way in making your decision. Erin

• Posted

Hi I am 37 decided to try ablation first, got it done in October failed and now getting hystetectomy on 25th August. I would just go straight for a hysterectomy
    • Posted

Thanks both, it's really helpful to hear other experiences - everything seems to point to a hysterectomy, I just find the idea a bit daunting, I'm not even sure why, as it does seem like a guaranteed solution to my current situation lol x

• Posted

Hi

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy. I am 44 and have one child , we do not want more kids as the first pregnancy almost killed me. I am glad I saw your post as I wanted an ablation but my surgeon said no.

I feel somewhat better with my decision.

• Posted

Hi Sara

I had heavy periods for a couple of years and then March 14 became very ill with anemia and was off work 6 weeks getting well again, was offered Ablation and went for it on 17.9.14, i had been warned by my gp that they don't always work and in her opinion my fibroid/s were too big to have the procedure, i mentioned this to my surgeon and he poo pooed the gp and went ahead anyway. I had a general and came round from it with my surgeon leaning over me saying Ablation didn't work as fibroid/s too big and device couldn't get to womb lining and that i would need a hysterectomy. Finally had this on 13.4.15 so nearly a year after it all started.  In my opinion go straight for the hysterectomy, i'm now 13 weeks post op and very nearly back to 100% full health and i'm training again, if i had been allowed to have the hysterectomy in Sept 14 i think it would have been better.

• Posted

Hi Sara,

I am in a similar position to you, I have tried all the same things. Following a recent scan they have found I have a uterine polyp and I had the choice of ablation or hysterectomy and I have gone with hysterectomy which is booked in for Monday. I am only 34 but have 2 beautiful children and am also allergic to hormonal contraceptives so it is the best option for me.

Anna

• Posted

Best of luck Anna, I hope it all goes well on Monday - and you are sorted out once and for all - it is so debilitating and never ending, isn't it.  let me know how you go, and I will be thinking of you xx

• Posted

The only thing I hate about hysterectomy if you have to be cut is the scar and the roll of loose skin you are left with . My cousin had keyhole and she had none of this. I had a fibroid as big as a water melon looked 5 months pregnant. The swelling can take up to 6 months to reduce. I am a very impatient person and find it hard to deal with plus hysterectomy sends you into forced menopause which. Once you learn to deal with the hot flushes is no big deal really. In general my health is much better as the periods are gone and the pain is gone so it's all for the better.
    • Posted

the scar is bikini line can hardly see it- where is this roll of loose skin? I have not got one I am 4 months post op TAH with BSO
    • Posted

Hi judy

I previously had 2 C Sections and have a what I call a bum bag my cut us also bikini line but hip to hip and it's under the fold. This is worrying me for infection I am cleaning my wound often to stop sweating and smelling x I'm scared of infection xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.